Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #16
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 595
Sorry mate, the only photo I have is one I took while riding alongside of him, so it does not have much detail at all.
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:15 PM   #17
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
Franks bike was built by Paul Rooney, actually dropping Frank an email may the quickest way to find Paul Rooney's contact.
Greg
Cool, I didnt know Frank's bike was one of Pauls. Thanks for the info too.

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease mud, As there lurks the skid demon. Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, And save the collapse and tie up.

F650GS Dakar in Australia
a_k_nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:19 PM   #18
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RN G/S
My Bike was built by Paul Rooney. I contest to the attention to detail and knowledge of this man. I first saw pauls work almost 10 years ago..since that time for me there was no other option...I will keep this bike forever...I believe it is the 15th he has built. not for nix...but a shitload cheaper than HPN.

see:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46935

for a ride report (sorry about pic quality..but we are on dial up at home). Happy to discuss this job/expectations-realities costs/ etc..and will be at Toowoomba GS Day...

cheers,

Stu
Hey Stu,

You know I did read your post a while ago & thats where this idea of mine came from, So I thought it was time to start doing something about it finally

I will contact you off list & talk about your bike, Always good to hear from someone that already has what your thinging of doing.

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease mud, As there lurks the skid demon. Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, And save the collapse and tie up.

Old 11-07-2004, 09:20 PM   #19
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Hooligan
Sorry mate, the only photo I have is one I took while riding alongside of him, so it does not have much detail at all.
Hey thats ok but post the pic anyway even if it doesnt have a lot of detail its still cool to see other Airheads.

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom

Old 11-08-2004, 06:39 AM   #20
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Thumb

Hey A K,
I have an old R90/6 that I'm planning to do the same thing with this winter. I haven't found out about where to get the longer swingarm and driveshaft yet, though. Mine's an old dual-shock unit, which will probably be best with my 275-lb. heft. I'm going to contact a place in the Midwest called Forking by Frank to see about getting longer fork tubes made to fit the stock lowers. I figure that'll be less expensive, and I can always upgrade later when money's not a big issue. A buddy of mine ahs a plams cutter and a couple of nice welders and has generously offered to help me brace the frame. I've been told that welding on the subframe and bracing it makes a big difference as well, and some guys have made up new subframes and welded them on in place of the stockers.
My wife and I went to the International Motorcycle Show in San Francisco yesterday and I got a copy of Touratech's catalogue. It's beautifully done, and there are some good ideas in it as well. Good luck, and keep us posted as to your progress!!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:41 AM   #21
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Bluhduh

Sorry about the poor typing. It should be: "A buddy of mine has a plasma cutter and a couple of welders." Kinda tough to get my sausage fingers to type this early in the morning.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:07 PM   #22
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,172
I have investigated a suitable front end to put on a G/S. I was even very close to purchasing a WR400 walk off front end from Mr Motocross wreckers in Melbourne, bolt in with only minor rework to the head stem.

I have though, optioned for an USD WP set that was fitted to a G/S in Germany. As Greg suggested, I am intending to visit Paul Rooney and have him lengthen the swing arm and harden the frame up a bit.

I have done a few mods on the engine and other than that it is fairly standard out of the factory.

Greg,

Did you have a look at the pics on my web site, a good pic of you and I talking at the fuel bowser at Innamincka.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:14 PM   #23
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again

Oddometer: 1,172
Yes,

There is a GS / BM day in Toowoomba on 21st November. There will be a few GSs on display as well a few road bikes.

Stu will have his Special there,

RTO will have the Enogerra Special there if Rooney gets his rear shocks done.

I also have Paul Rooneys number at home.

email me at

tjaeger@optusnet.com.au

and I will pass it on to you.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:49 PM   #24
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
I built up a G/S a year or so ago. Here are some pics of the frame modes:

Rear shock frame mount

The upper tubes:
Old 11-09-2004, 08:43 AM   #25
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,179
Some more notes--- My anecdotal sources say that swingarms do not come in different lenghts. the /6 swingarm is longer by 2 inches than the /5's. You can see where BMW welded more tube to the swingarm to make it longer. So making swingarm longer is no problem. I guess you just do the same on the left hand side, to hold the axle. To make a longer Driveshaft, the best idea I have heard is to cut it in the middle, and weld a longer piece into the middle. I've not seen it done, but it should be possible. It would have to be spin-balanced, so as not to eat itself apart.
The Exhaust pipes can be run Over the cylinders, and routed out the back, for clearance. Of course, these will haveto be custom made.
Some have added Frame stiffeners from the swingarm pivot area diagonally up to the steering head area.
Also, the R65's had a shorter cylinder head, and it was higher on the crankcase than the other models, so this might be the best starting engine, sothis contributes to high clearance.

Front End-- Almost all Dirt bike front ends are longer in the steering head than the BMW's, for the obvious support it provides, and this is where the machining takes place, to make up this distance. My anecdotal source says this procedure is a matter of finding all the parts that fit. Not too harsh a task.
Changing the angle of attack on the drive shaft is something I have not heard a good idea for, nor do I have one. Best estimates says 30-40K, before failure.

So-- we got to talking, me and my mechanic. He's saying that on the ISDT BMW 1973 bike, which we are using as a sort of model, they got rid of the starter and charging system altogether. He said it would run 4-5 hours on a full battery. That means they removed the starter, shaved off the engine casing that holds it. Removed the Airbox and Diode board and leveled it off above the crankcase. then removed the alternator and front cover, and just made a cute little cover for the front of the crankshaft, and the ignition thing. the Engine is actually Quite compact. Makes it a small little package. For Starting: The only /6 five speed gearbox with a kickstart was made in '74. BMW only continued the kickstart on the four-speeds.
Removal of all that stuff would save a lot of weight, and could move the whole engine UP in the frame a few inches. They also saved weight by shaving 10 pounds off the flywheel.
With the removal of the airbox, the new custom pipes that go over the cylinders could join in that area. I think it means relocating the battery, somewhere. Dont know where. Didnt get that far.
Some of this is a little farther that I would want to go, but It sounds like it would make a crazy bike.
I will try to find out more about front end matching. I wonder if anyone has any specifics, if they've done it, yet.
Having just paid off the last loan, I now need to buy a new enduro. After That, however, I will be accumulating parts to start building this beast.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:50 AM   #26
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,179
Some more notes--- My anecdotal sources say that swingarms do not come in different lenghts. the /6 swingarm is longer by 2 inches than the /5's. You can see where BMW welded more tube to the swingarm to make it longer. So making swingarm longer is no problem. I guess you just do the same on the left hand side, to hold the axle. To make a longer Driveshaft, the best idea I have heard is to cut it in the middle, and weld a longer piece into the middle. I've not seen it done, but it should be possible. It would have to be spin-balanced, so as not to eat itself apart.
The Exhaust pipes can be run Over the cylinders, and routed out the back, for clearance. Of course, these will haveto be custom made.
Some have added Frame stiffeners from the swingarm pivot area diagonally up to the steering head area. Around the exhaust pipes.
Also, the R65's had a shorter cylinder head, and it was higher on the crankcase than the other models. This contributes to high clearance,
so this might be the best starting engine.
Front End-- Almost all Dirt bike front ends are longer in the steering head than the BMW's, for the obvious support it provides, and this is where the machining takes place, to make up this distance. My anecdotal source says this procedure is a matter of finding all the parts that fit. Not too harsh a task.
Changing the angle of attack on the drive shaft is something I have not heard a good idea for, nor do I have one. Best estimates says 30-40K, before failure.

So-- we got to talking, me and my mechanic. He's saying that on the ISDT BMW 1973 bike, which we are using as a sort of model, they got rid of the starter and charging system altogether. He said it would run 4-5 hours on a full battery. That means they removed the starter, shaved off the engine casing that holds it. Removed the Airbox and Diode board and leveled it off above the crankcase. then removed the alternator and front cover, and just made a cute little cover for the front of the crankshaft, and the ignition thing. the Engine is actually Quite compact. Makes it a small little package. For Starting: The only /6 five speed gearbox with a kickstart was made in '74. BMW only continued the kickstart on the four-speeds.
Removal of all that stuff would save a lot of weight, and could move the whole engine UP in the frame a few inches. They also saved weight by shaving 10 pounds off the flywheel.
With the removal of the airbox, the new custom pipes that go over the cylinders could join in that area. I think it means relocating the battery, somewhere. Dont know where. Didnt get that far.
Some of this is a little farther that I would want to go, but It sounds like it would make a crazy bike.
I will try to find out more about front end matching. I wonder if anyone has any specifics, if they've done it, yet.
Having just paid off the last loan, I now need to buy a new enduro. After That, however, I will be accumulating parts to start building this beast.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:44 AM   #27
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 292
contemporary ISDT mods to a g/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
.... removed the starter, shaved off the engine casing that holds it....
... After That, however, I will be accumulating parts to start building this beast.
Stagehand...this would be an awesome machine...MAKE SURE you keep us posted when comes to time. My bike retains the starter but has the casings shaved back...for weight and cooling outcomes ...also we toyed with the idea of an oddysey battery on its side under the gearbox where the collector box once was...but for water etc..but could be done..
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:21 AM   #28
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Hey Stagehand that really does sound like a wild project, Please keep us informed if this baby ever gets off the ground.

Also as Ozadvntr said he almost bough the front end off of a WR400 it really shouldnt be too hard to get that part sorted. Swing arms are the other thing I have been putting more thought into, It really would depend on how you wanted to ride this bike as to how long you would make the swing arm & I also thing that the twin shocks could be better too so the swing arm is kinda balanced rather than having all the weight pivoting on one side like the single shock ones. Does that make any sense to anyone.

Cheers
Andrew

Words of wisdom

Old 11-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #29
Tanami
Under The Weather

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_k_nicholls
Swing arms are the other thing I have been putting more thought into, It really would depend on how you wanted to ride this bike as to how long you would make the swing arm & I also thing that the twin shocks could be better too so the swing arm is kinda balanced rather than having all the weight pivoting on one side like the single shock ones. Does that make any sense to anyone.
Time to make that call to Rooney. He will be able to offer you qualified advise on the matters ocuppying your mind. There are plus' and minus' to both options (single and dual shock) and paul will be able to discuss these with you, as you say though...depends upon what you want the bike to do. My original breif to paul was that the bike should be able to carry (at the most) two people and light luggage (or one and heavy) at good speed across poorly surfaced unsealed roads and major tracks. An all road tourer. Consequently the frame and suspension where focused upon with durability in mind and the engine and drive with simplicity and efficiency. Keep thinking though...I did...for over five years before I made the plunge...by which time I was satisfied I knew (in detail) what I wanted and was not about to change my mind (given that a fiscal return on the investment would never be a part of the equation) even in the face of a new GS adventure!!.

cheers,

stu
Tanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:26 PM   #30
a_k_nicholls OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RN G/S
Time to make that call to Rooney.
Hey Stu,

Your right, I have sent off an email to Paul & will see where we go from there.

Thanks for your info too

Words of wisdom