ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Dirt Diver OP
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Zumo 550 wont load Shonkymaps

I'm trying to load shonky maps on my Zumo 550. I can get it to display in Mapsource however when I try to 'send to device' either to the Zumo or the SD card it fails to appear as an option to select in my options.

Any ideas?
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
'Pirate'
'12 Tiger 800XC

Oddometer: 121
Zoom out!

G'Day Dirt Diver!
In Mapsource on your PC, zoom out so you can see your whole 'map of Tassie' , then with Shonky selected from the drop down boxes in top left of screen, select the "map sets" you want to put on Zumo. (sorry Burnie if my terminology ain't right) (ie, Tassie may be made up of a few different maps / connected sheets). Once selected they should go pink. Then try 'send to device'.
I had the same trouble a few weeks ago, wasn't zooming out far enough to be able to highlight the maps.
Had my Zumo a few months now, loved it from the start, now even more so with shonky & Tracks4 Australia!!

If you still are struggling, hit reply and I am sure someone with a bit more experience will see, and try going through a couple of these threads, that's how I figured it out.

Cheers, 'Pirate' Pete.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,370
Wot Pete said, zoom right out so thw whole country is displayed, then highlight all the bits you want, and they should appear in the left side pane as individual map tiles. Then Transfer to device.....
Be aware that anything that is already on your gps in the way of mapsets will be overwritten, so be sure to also select the existing mpas too.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Dirt Diver OP
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Wow!

It seems so obvious now I feel stupid.

I searched all of google for info on this.

Thanks all.
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 AM   #5
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
Wot Pete said, zoom right out so thw whole country is displayed, then highlight all the bits you want, and they should appear in the left side pane as individual map tiles. Then Transfer to device.....
Be aware that anything that is already on your gps in the way of mapsets will be overwritten, so be sure to also select the existing mpas too.
See, that bit freaks me. My first interpretation is that, if I have shonky maps in MapSource and transfer then to the Zumo, then it will make my zumo copies of CN and Oztopo unselectable - ie it will wipe them off.

Please tell me I'm wrong. I've not gone down the shonky maps / t4a route yet.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCray
See, that bit freaks me. My first interpretation is that, if I have shonky maps in MapSource and transfer then to the Zumo, then it will make my zumo copies of CN and Oztopo unselectable - ie it will wipe them off.

Please tell me I'm wrong. I've not gone down the shonky maps / t4a route yet.
You're not wrong. A new .img file will simply overwrite the existing one, a straight copy over the top.
There are options though. If you want to play then you can (and should, for peace of mind and backup) copy the existing .img file from the garmin folder on your gps. I copy each of mine, it makes it rather quick to restore a mapset as it's just a file copy to the right location.

You can also build a mapset with all of CN, Shonky, T4A, Oztopo roads, and possibly some oztopo topo, without breaking the 2025 map tile limit, so all of your maps will (mostly) be in one mapset on your gps. You will need to experiment with the mapsets on your PC, but that part is quick and easy. I got rid of some excess tiles by deleting stuff over the ocean, or islands well offshore.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
'Pirate'
'12 Tiger 800XC

Oddometer: 121
I didn't seem to have this problem.
Once I had selected the Eastern half of Aus in shonky, I just went 'send to device', then went back and did the same with T4A, and now I have the option to select/unselect CityNav, OzTopo, OzTopo countours, shonky, and T4A. They are all there.
One thing I have found is that if you try to select too many at once on the Zumo, they cancel each other out (eg. with C/N, OzTopo and shonky selected, shonky tracks will not appear. Need to turn off C/N, then they start appearing).
Ray, coming to Alb. any time soon? might be able to show you what I did (and give you a copy of shonky + tracks4aus)
Pete.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
GodSilla
I did that.

Thanks for the feedback Pirate. There's something going on with the Zumo that I don't understand, but if it works that's great.