ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
RaY YreKa OP
I Am the Mayor
 
RaY YreKa's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: YreKa BaKery
Oddometer: 16,136
Trials Boots for ADVing

I like my MX style, all hooked-up, super-protected boots, but for most road work it's hard to get good feel for the back brake and I need to mod the gearshift to take into account the larger profile of the boot.

So, my question; do any of you trials riders use a solid, well protected boot that has good feel while on the bike, that could be used as an all-purpose DS boot?
__________________
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Oddometer: 29,543
I think the closest you can come without compromising *all* ankle support and shin protection would be the Sidi Discoveries/Aerostich CBTs. For obvious reasons, Trials boots are very flexible at the ankle.

Personally, I've made the switch to wearing MX boots all of the time. I wear Sidi Flex Force and Sidi Crossfiles, which both have a hinge at the ankle (easier shifting/braking) but offer excellent armored support and are quite comfortable (albeit heavy) while walking around. I had a backwards slide-get-off in June that twisted and sandwiched my lower leg between a rock wall and the bike, but instead of a break I only suffered a mild sprain. I'll happily trade a little awkwardness for good protection.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kamala's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Nashoba Valley
Oddometer: 12,510
I have a pair of Gaerne Balance trials boots that are fabulous Trials boots and comfortable enough to go hiking in. That said I would be hesitant to wear them on the road or in an off road (Dual Sport) situation. They are just too flexible and really lack impact protection (as do most Trials boots).
__________________
I survived the Great Folk Music Scare of the 1960s (when it almost caught on) !
Kamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
andrewgore
Team MGH
 
andrewgore's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Suburbs, IL
Oddometer: 3,240
I use the Alpinestar no-stop Trials boots for almost everything motorcycle related. They are much more comfortable IMO than standard MX boots. They have a bit more flex\give to them, but feel plenty protective to me. The only time they ever let water in, is if the water I'm standing in is higher than the top of the boot. Otherwise I've yet to have my feet get wet in them. They were pricey at just under 300$ or so, but I feel they will last for quite some time. To compare, the Gaerne's are known to be a bit more bendy when compared to the Alpinestars. The Alpinestars also have a thick bottom that is a bit more round as opposed to the flat of the Gaerne (from what I've seen). Comfy for walking, riding, and sitting around. I dig em!

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
jjustj
cum petris et choris
 
jjustj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: 9157 ft Dillon CO
Oddometer: 5,388
Ive been using Garne oiled trials boots for

all uses, but will be getting some Garne SG 10 s soon for the dual purpose 450 exc, smacked my ankle a few weeks ago and decided MORE Protection is needed, ill get used to feeling the brake pedal ( I hope).
__________________
Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. Mark Twain
RIDE STEALTH,



http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
Gordy
Team Listo
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: NM
Oddometer: 21,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj
all uses, but will be getting some Garne SG 10 s soon for the dual purpose 450 exc, smacked my ankle a few weeks ago and decided MORE Protection is needed, ill get used to feeling the brake pedal ( I hope).
The Gaerne balance has no ankle rotation protection, The only MX/DS boot that I have worn that offers both protection and the ability to feel the brake is the Gaerne SG 10. You will like em!
I am sure that there are others, but that is the only one that I have been impressed with. The SG 12 is supposedly even better for feel, but i had to draw the line at the five bill price tag.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.
 
brewtus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Albuquerque, not New, not Mexico.......
Oddometer: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
I use the Alpinestar no-stop Trials boots for almost everything motorcycle related. They are much more comfortable IMO than standard MX boots. They have a bit more flex\give to them, but feel plenty protective to me. The only time they ever let water in, is if the water I'm standing in is higher than the top of the boot. Otherwise I've yet to have my feet get wet in them. They were pricey at just under 300$ or so, but I feel they will last for quite some time. To compare, the Gaerne's are known to be a bit more bendy when compared to the Alpinestars. The Alpinestars also have a thick bottom that is a bit more round as opposed to the flat of the Gaerne (from what I've seen). Comfy for walking, riding, and sitting around. I dig em!

Andrew
+1
__________________
Work hard. Play hard.
Team Dead End. The drinking team with a Trials problem.
2-Time winner of the coveted "Best Shenanigans" award at Capt. Rick's annual BBQ.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
The Gaerne balance has no ankle rotation protection, The only MX/DS boot that I have worn that offers both protection and the ability to feel the brake is the Gaerne SG 10. You will like em!
I am sure that there are others, but that is the only one that I have been impressed with. The SG 12 is supposedly even better for feel, but i had to draw the line at the five bill price tag.
+1 The hinged ankle makes a big difference. I bought and resold three pair of MX boots before finally getting the SG10s. Nothing else came close in terms of feel and fit. I have wide feet also, which excluded some other good brands like Sidi and Forma. Nobody carries them locally, so I scored a pair on fleabay for a smoking deal.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
wolvertone
Save a mile-Kill a metre!
 
wolvertone's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Oddometer: 171
I'm brand new to trials, and wondered what I'd do for boots.

Then I remembered, my old riding buddy gave me his fathers Alpinestars Hi-Point motocross boots that he bought back in the 70's or (80's?). You know, the ones with the leather strap buckles and metal shin guards? On any Sunday, Malcom Smith, etc....

Well, I put them on and they are perfect, at least for a novice. Uber thick leather, supple and soft, lots of flex in the ankle and thick sole. Not really that heavy.

Best of all, free!

I've seen them on eB@y from time to time, so might be an option for someone.

__________________
Steve
RR Colorado '09: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476546

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1990 BMW K100LT (parting out)
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
wolvertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
JTT
Beastly Adventurer
 
JTT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Oddometer: 1,519
Those Hi Points are lovely! They'll work to get you started in trials, but you will eventually want to convert to a true trials boot. In trials you do a lot of walking sections on slippery ground and will need the lugged sole as well as finer feel on the controls eventually.

I just converted to Combat touring boots for my touring use. The resemblance to the Hi Points were a large reason for my decision!
JTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
wolvertone
Save a mile-Kill a metre!
 
wolvertone's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Denham Springs, LA
Oddometer: 171
those have a fairly aggressive sole, and are easy for walking in.

If you could get a pair cheap, it'd take some of the sting out of all the startup costs... until you got better.

Plus, they're already broke-in!
__________________
Steve
RR Colorado '09: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476546

1966 Chang Jiang 750 M1M
1977 Harley Ironhead
1979 BMW R100RT
1990 BMW K100LT (parting out)
1996 Beta Techno
1999 Kawasaki KLR 650
wolvertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
2Ply
n00b - LOL
 
2Ply's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Washington State, USA
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore
I use the Alpinestar no-stop Trials boots for almost everything motorcycle related. They are much more comfortable IMO than standard MX boots. They have a bit more flex\give to them, but feel plenty protective to me. The only time they ever let water in, is if the water I'm standing in is higher than the top of the boot. Otherwise I've yet to have my feet get wet in them. They were pricey at just under 300$ or so, but I feel they will last for quite some time. To compare, the Gaerne's are known to be a bit more bendy when compared to the Alpinestars. The Alpinestars also have a thick bottom that is a bit more round as opposed to the flat of the Gaerne (from what I've seen). Comfy for walking, riding, and sitting around. I dig em!

Andrew
Plus 1 on the No-Stops. In 35 years of Trials, I think I've tried almost all of them by now (including the early Dunlop Rubber Boots of the 70's) and the Alpinestar No-Stop is currently the only one that fits my lower leg and doesn't form folds in the leather at the ankle nor toe area that other boots do. Those eventually bruise my feet at the ankle or just above the toes.

But to answer the original question, I have never felt the need to compromise and go with more protection and less flex, but then I only own Trials Bikes now and none of them are Street Legal so faster road riding is not in my program.
2Ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire
 
mrkartoom's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: northeast/western mass
Oddometer: 828
I have a set of Gaerne Balanced oiled boots that I got for dual-sporting. If I am doing any serious off-road I slap on my Sidi Crossfires instead for more protection, as the Gaerne's don't offer much. The Sidi's are the most comfortable mx boot I've ever owned, but even still I wouldn't want to walk far in them. The Gaerne Balanced I can walk all day, so it's a trade-off. Now that I have my first trials bike I have more use for the Gaerne's.

I also have a set of Novogar trials boots that I purchased "accidentally", but that's another story. They are a good bit stiffer than the Gaernes and I'm starting to use them more for dual-sporting. Not the protection of an all-out mx boot or the comfort of the Gaerne's, but a decent in-between boot.

Hey 2PLY.
__________________
"gotta have more cowbell" C. Walken
"I
spent 90% of my money on woman and drink. The rest I wasted." G. Best

'08 Husqvarna TE610, '11 Gas Gas EC300, '03 Beta Rev3 250

Husky TE/SM-610 Thread Index

mrkartoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
I have a pair of Gaerne Balance trials boots that are fabulous Trials boots and comfortable enough to go hiking in. That said I would be hesitant to wear them on the road or in an off road (Dual Sport) situation. They are just too flexible and really lack impact protection (as do most Trials boots).
I like them a\for everything, but now finally found a set of the original 1970s Hi Point MX boots which are perfect for trials thru street riding and light MX which is all I do. I originally bought them to ride my Supermoto around soince the regular MX boots now are soooo frig stiff. Love botht ehGaerne Balance and the Hi points. When i go anywhere someone wants to buy the Hi points though......they have the uber cool chrome shin guard.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolvertone
I'm brand new to trials, and wondered what I'd do for boots.

Then I remembered, my old riding buddy gave me his fathers Alpinestars Hi-Point motocross boots that he bought back in the 70's or (80's?). You know, the ones with the leather strap buckles and metal shin guards? On any Sunday, Malcom Smith, etc....

Well, I put them on and they are perfect, at least for a novice. Uber thick leather, supple and soft, lots of flex in the ankle and thick sole. Not really that heavy.

Best of all, free!

I've seen them on eB@y from time to time, so might be an option for someone.

Oh craqp! Didn't see these until I went thru my whoile post! Those are like mine but mine still look brand new.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014