Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
pgejman@mac.com OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Installing Topo 100k: Etrex Vista HCX and Mac

Sorry if this question has been posted before. I am having trouble installing the Topo US 100k in my Vista HCX, both recently arrived new. I have a MacBook Air and my wife has an iMAC book but the installation has failed in both computers. I went through the steps of installing Topo 100K in the HD of both Macs but after what seems a successful installation, I cannot find the executable mapping program, only see the installing files. I have downloaded MapInstall and MapManager. I have run the Mac version of MapManager and the first time did something that looked like another installation of Topo (I have tried to re-run MapManager but now the program seems to do nothing). If I run MapInstall, it sees my device (which connects to the computer with the standard cable provided by Garmin) and MapInstall seems to be installing something in my Etrex, but only for 10-15 sec or so. Next I see "installation complete" and "done", but it should obviously take much longer to install the TOPO maps in the device. This process has been quite frustrating and I feel that there might be something easy I am missing here. I would appreciate instructions on how to perform a successful installation.

Thank you,

Pablo

pgejman@mac.com screwed with this post 07-25-2009 at 04:09 PM
pgejman@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
AugustFalcon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Have you installed either RoadTrip or BaseCamp on your Macs? You will need one of those programs to "see" the topo 2008 maps on your Mac.

Map manager merely serves to put the Garmin data where it should be on your Mac so that either of the above programs can access it.

Map install is used to transfer the selected map segments from your Mac to the GPS. You need to select the map segments to transfer.

Two ways to select them:

1. Plan a route in RoadTrip or BaseCamp and tell that programs to select the map segments around the route and download them to your unit. It will do this by running MapInstall.

2. Select the maps segments yourself in MapInstall. I think its in the 3rd screen in - zoom in on the maps and click on the segments to select them.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
pgejman@mac.com OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
thank you

Your explanation is very useful. Pablo

pgejman@mac.com screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 02:41 PM
pgejman@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote