ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
prestonpaul OP
What?

Oddometer: 1,477
Oregon V Zumo V Nuvi 500

The time has come to get my self a decent GPS. at the moment I am tossing up between a Zumo and an Oregon 300 or 400. I like the Zumo a lot but I am not sure I need all the bells and whistles ( I have access to an Ipod and I prefer not to talk much at the best of times so don't need the phone connection). The only other unit that stands out to me at the moment is the Oregon. Being a long time PDA user I like the touch screen interface and think I would struggle with the button interface on somthing like the 60csx. Dose anyone currently use an Oregon? Is there any diference between the Oregon 300 and the 400 other than the addition of pre loaded maps? (Blue chart in the 400c Topo Australia in the 400T) Can I run the Oregon off bike power or is it batteries only? Any other thoughts as to why I should choose one over the other?
Thanks.
Paul.

prestonpaul screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 02:04 AM
prestonpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
prestonpaul OP
What?

Update: Add the Nuvi 500 and the upcoming Oregon 550T to the mix!
I have gone off the Oregon 400 a little as there are issues with the screen brightness. The Oregon 550 aparently adresses this issue somewhat but I am struggling to get much more info on it other than it has a camera. I have also discovered the Nuvi which I like the look, versitility and price of.
What I dislike intensely about the Nuvi and the Oregon 400 is the external power port is a mini USB socket.
I can't see this working reliably for any length of time. I don't know if the Oregon 550 will be any diferent. The reason I like the Nuvi is it will do everything I want; Car, Bike and Geocache (which I am just getting in to and is one of the reasons for wanting a new gps). My choice at the moment is to either get the Nuvi and see how long the connector works on the bike, wait for the new Oregon to turn up (I have a limited time span as I need it by late July for the Border Run) or cough up for the money for the Zumo and perhaps buy a hand held later for geocaching.
Thoughts?
Thanks.
Paul.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
bombarde
DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer: 260
The screen on the Oregon is VERY DIM. Go check one out if you haven't already.
bombarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
I got a Zumo 550 good so far dropped it at 60kph all good and you can still geocache with it as you can put in co-ords i'm happy with itand haven't ulocked it's full potential as i haven't hooked it up to my computer yet
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Canít you get a Zumo 450? GPS wise I think it has the same functions as the 550 and 650 without the other crap.
The Zumo will come ready to go on your bike, everything you need. The other units donít. Getting the hardware and maps you need can be expensive.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
prestonpaul OP
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
Canít you get a Zumo 450? GPS wise I think it has the same functions as the 550 and 650 without the other crap.
The Zumo will come ready to go on your bike, everything you need. The other units donít. Getting the hardware and maps you need can be expensive.
Hi Mudcat.
The Zumo 450 doesn't seem to be readily available in Australia & Ill still have to buy topo maps (which will be the same for anything but the Oregon). There are ram mounts available for both the Nuvi and the Oregon at reasonable prices so no problem there.

The reason I am drawn to the Nuvi and Oregon is the terrain shading capability which I do not think the Zumo has. If anyone can prove me wrong on that count I will go out and buy one today.

Just to throw another spanner in to the works, I have just discovered the Garmin Dakota which supposedly fits below the Oregon in the product range. No word as to the screen brightness or the external power connector though.

For those not in Australia, the Zumo 660 is not available here so is not an option.
Paul.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul
Hi Mudcat.

The reason I am drawn to the Nuvi and Oregon is the terrain shading capability which I do not think the Zumo has. If anyone can prove me wrong on that count I will go out and buy one today.
Paul.
Paul, I canít, I donít know enough about the different models. I donít know enough about my Zumo 450 except my notions of what I wanted a GPS for and needed with it have changed.
I find my Zumo a lot of fun and very useful. But, I donít think a GPS replaces paper maps.
Good luck with your search.
Untill I'm ready
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
An440
n00ber

Oddometer: 16
I am 4 months already Oregon300. GPS I bought for the first time. Advantages: great touch screen, water impermeability, replaceable batteries. To Zumo not removable battery. Rechargeble batteries (3000A / h) is enough for 8-10 hours. At this time the second set of batteries is charging in the charging plate, through the lighter socket.
I am very pleased.
An440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
prestonpaul OP
What?

I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a Zumo 550. I can't realy afford it but what the hell I am off to the Melbourne boat show tomorrow as they have a Garmin stand and from what I understand they normaly do good deals at this sort of thing so hopefully someone there will be able to help me out.
Thanks everyone for their help.
Paul
Old 07-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #10
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a Zumo 550. I can't realy afford it but what the hell I am off to the Melbourne boat show tomorrow as they have a Garmin stand and from what I understand they normaly do good deals at this sort of thing so hopefully someone there will be able to help me out.
Thanks everyone for their help.
Paul
Usually the deals are on marine units only but you never know
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
prestonpaul OP
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
Usually the deals are on marine units only but you never know
Garmin themselves weren't much help but C.H. Smith Marine had a Zumo on the shelf and did me a good deal along with Topo Australia.
I am a happy camper now
Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Garmin themselves weren't much help but C.H. Smith Marine had a Zumo on the shelf and did me a good deal along with Topo Australia.
I am a happy camper now
How is the Zumo working out for you?
Untill I'm ready