Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,590
Bluhduh Zumo rattles like something inside broke loose

This is a Zumo 550, about 18 months old. It's been used, but not abused. Been down it's share of bumpy dirt roads, but it's somewhat isolated from vibrations by a RAM mount.

Anyhow, I picked it up yesterday and noticed ... it rattles. And not like a tiny screw came out, but like there is a decent-sized something inside that came loose. GRRR. Before I start taking it apart, I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Or if anyone has any caveats about dissecting these things.

I've got to say: I'm not impressed with the Zumo's durability. Its car cradle kicked the bucket a while ago -- it simply stopped charging the unit. Just recently my bike cradle started acting up, also not connecting well enough with the Zumo to charge it. A bit of dielectric grease on the connector pads normally solves this, but still .... Not cool. And now this.

Meanwhile, my wife's old 276C is still going strong. Stupid new technology.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,989
I wonder if you got something in behind the battery? Pop it off and see. Otherwise it can't be good if it really is inside the unit.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Yes I know this is an old thread.

Did you ever find out? And did you fix it.

Here is what happened to mine. In the bottom right of the picture I drew an arrow to the broke piece and where it looks like it came from. It is weird it looks solid. Has 66 on it.
Attached Images

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
space OP
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,590
Zerk, thanks for the post. Not sure what that piece is in your pic. Did your unit work with it broken off?

Mine still rattles but still works. I figured I'd let it be until it dies, then do the autopsy.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Zerk
DILLIGAF

It works, but does not get a sattelite signal.

Mine has been a problem for awhile, locking up and not starting. I have to pull the battery almost every time it is turn off to restart. Which is how I ended up dropping it on the floor.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Travex
Lost is found

Oddometer: 145
Different unit, but when I learned my 350 was defective Garmin sent me a replacement and it had a seemingly large bit tumbling free within it. They got that POS back faster than they got it to me.

2012 Super Tenere For Sale in "The Flea Market"

Travex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Sent it to Garmin. Post Office said it would arrive Saturday, Tuesday I got email it was on the way back. $160. The case and screen are new. Probably easier to just give you a refurbished one. Parts are probably cheap.

Dissapointed it died after 9k on a bike, and most of the time in a truck, only 3 years. But was worth it this time. How long it lasts, will dictate if I do it again. I don't know if I would buy an expensive one again. Technology changes just get another cheap one. I do line some of the options on this compared to the Nuvi, changing what is shown on your screen.

I really like the operating system up my Oregon 450, probably same time period, but alot more advanced. I like you can change the menus and have profiles. But I like the Zumo has favorites folders. OR does better with tracks too.