Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Gizmo OP
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Zumo 550 Issue, Any Thoughts?

Just received a new Zumo 550 last Tuesday prior to leaving on a trip to LA on Thursday. I successfully set it up on my motorcycle tested it and left for my trip and it worked fine to LA and hand held one day in LA. On Saturday heading home when I attached it to the mc cradle it did not power up, pushed the power button still did not power up. Took it out of the cradle and reset it, in case it did not seat properly, still did not power up. Took it out of the cradle and pushed the power button to attempt running it off the battery, still did not work. I checked the fuse, o.k., put it back in the cradle and left for my return home. At my first gas stop I tried same steps again to see if anything changed, still nothing, so I packed it away for the remainder of the trip. When I got home Saturday afternoon, I plugged it into the AC power, still nothing and also no charging message. Then on Sunday tried all the above steps again, still nothing. This morning, convinced the unit was dead, I called the vendor to arrange a return and replacement. Just before packing it up, for kicks and giggles, I gave it one more try and voila! It decided to work. Since it seems to be working I'll hold off sending it back and try to heavily use it to see if I can get it to fail again. In the meantime I have checked firmware updates and although the message indicates my unit is up to date, I ran the update again. What gives any thoughts?

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
BushWacker Rob
BushWacker

Oddometer: 69
Try removing the battery from the back for a few minutes and then charge it from the UBS cable for a couple of hrs. That worked for me.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,007
I've had only one lockup over the years I've had my Zumo 550 (got it a few months after it was released) and that was a few months ago. It was in its power countdown while I was opening a gate. Fired up the bike right as it hit zero and shutdown. Zumo wouldn't start either in or out of the cradle. So at lunch I did the typical fix of removing the battery. Fired right up after that.

That seems to be a problem others have seen, shutdown and won't start, battery removal and its fine.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
My thoughts are you'll have better luck in the GPS forum...

Layin' Down Tracks

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Gizmo OP
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Thanks Woodbutcher and Paradox, good suggestions, I'll keep this in mind if it happens again as it is working right now.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxWorld
Try removing the battery from the back for a few minutes and then charge it from the UBS cable for a couple of hrs. That worked for me.
+1 Also use Garmin updater and make sure the firmware is up to speed. On the zumo you should run it twice, once to update the firmware, and if there is an update, run it again to pick up any other updates, such as Bluetooth, GXM or other device or voice updates.

I also had a similar lockup because of a bad GXM-30 cable, it was intermittent and gave the zumo a migraine, only way to get it reset and powered back on was to remove the battery let it sit for a sec and put the battery back in.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote