Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #256
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
when in the middle of nowhere and jump starting a mates bike with bits of bare galvanised fencing wire, dont let the two wires touch. having galvanised fencing wire light on fire centimeters from a 30L plastic fuel tank is not a good feeling.

remember to regularly vent those jerry cans that have the pour spout that is stored upside down inside the container. as the day gets hotter, the vapour pressure inside the container increases and pushes 75% of your fuel up the pour spout and out the lid. just what you need when relying on those last few litres to get you to the next fuel stop.

make sure you let go of the handle on the fuel pump before pulling it out of the car. as someone else mentioned, fuel in the eyes is not the most pleasureable of experiences.

make sure the safety cut-off lanyard isnt wrapped around the handlebars of the hire jetski your riding. if you come off the lanyard will snap, the safety tab will remain attached to the ski and the jetski will then proceed to putt away from you slightly faster than you can swim

make sure your mobile is fully charged before going riding alone. if something happens like dislocating your knee and snapping your ACL happens, your only option is to ride out of the bush, in the process dislocating the same knee another 4 or 5 times (cant really remember as the whole day is a littel hazy after the pain of the accident).

make sure you let the engine oil cool sufficiently before attempting to drain a little of your oil while your about 200km from anywhere that might have some replacment oil or even someone to help. its interesting to listen to your brain argue with itself with two VERY valid arguments, the first being "get your hand out of that stream of hot oil before your skin starts to blister" and the other being "all you need to do is keep your hand in the hot oil until you get the sump plug threaded or all your oil will be on the ground and then youll be even more f*cked than having a sore hand you pussy".

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #257
Jonex
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 1,357
If you own a cat, don't brush your teeth while naked. Well, you can if you're a girl I s'pose.

Just sayin'...
Jonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #258
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonex522
If you own a cat, don't brush your teeth while naked. Well, you can if you're a girl I s'pose.

Just sayin'...
Damn, that'll wake you up in the morning.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #259
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap
when in the middle of nowhere and jump starting a mates bike with bits of bare galvanised fencing wire, dont let the two wires touch. having galvanised fencing wire light on fire centimeters from a 30L plastic fuel tank is not a good feeling.

remember to regularly vent those jerry cans that have the pour spout that is stored upside down inside the container. as the day gets hotter, the vapour pressure inside the container increases and pushes 75% of your fuel up the pour spout and out the lid. just what you need when relying on those last few litres to get you to the next fuel stop.

make sure you let go of the handle on the fuel pump before pulling it out of the car. as someone else mentioned, fuel in the eyes is not the most pleasureable of experiences.

make sure the safety cut-off lanyard isnt wrapped around the handlebars of the hire jetski your riding. if you come off the lanyard will snap, the safety tab will remain attached to the ski and the jetski will then proceed to putt away from you slightly faster than you can swim

make sure your mobile is fully charged before going riding alone. if something happens like dislocating your knee and snapping your ACL happens, your only option is to ride out of the bush, in the process dislocating the same knee another 4 or 5 times (cant really remember as the whole day is a littel hazy after the pain of the accident).

make sure you let the engine oil cool sufficiently before attempting to drain a little of your oil while your about 200km from anywhere that might have some replacment oil or even someone to help. its interesting to listen to your brain argue with itself with two VERY valid arguments, the first being "get your hand out of that stream of hot oil before your skin starts to blister" and the other being "all you need to do is keep your hand in the hot oil until you get the sump plug threaded or all your oil will be on the ground and then youll be even more f*cked than having a sore hand you pussy".
We must be brothers separated at birth or something. I've done each of the things on your list with only a couple of modifications.

Jet Ski: I plowed one into a slightly submerged and abandoned dock piling at full speed. Endo'ed the ski and face planted in about 18" of water. My head penetrated a full foot into the underlying muck and mud. jet ski totalled.

ACL: happened about 125' from my garage but that didn't stop me from folding it up again twice before making it to the sofa. I'll bet it went out about twenty times the first week after injury........sickening feeling, isn't it?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #260
tsitmeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
When going for a days ride about 100km away always remember the key to the stong,tanky motorcycle chain you used for security puropses, that is keeping you bike locked to the trailer.
tsitmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:15 AM   #261
tsitmeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
this isnt mine i found it on www.fmylife.com

Today my husband decided to drain his motorcycle oil into an empty bottle of laundry detergent. Also today, i decided to lift a stain out of my white comforter with some detergent i found in the garage...
tsitmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #262
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
My wife would kill me. Slowly.

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #263
blackcap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLboxeR
We must be brothers separated at birth or something. I've done each of the things on your list with only a couple of modifications.

Jet Ski: I plowed one into a slightly submerged and abandoned dock piling at full speed. Endo'ed the ski and face planted in about 18" of water. My head penetrated a full foot into the underlying muck and mud. jet ski totalled.

ACL: happened about 125' from my garage but that didn't stop me from folding it up again twice before making it to the sofa. I'll bet it went out about twenty times the first week after injury........sickening feeling, isn't it?

theres really no feeling like the two ends of a joint sliding slowly over and around each other, grinding anything inbetween and then snapping back to their original position like nothing ever happened.

ill never try to convince someone that im not an idiot, but the best part about this place is that at least you know your not alone

Australia to Iceland on a DR650 http://oztoice.wordpress.com
blackcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #264
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap
theres really no feeling like the two ends of a joint sliding slowly over and around each other, grinding anything inbetween and then snapping back to their original position like nothing ever happened.

ill never try to convince someone that im not an idiot, but the best part about this place is that at least you know your not alone

If my life can serve as an example to others, it all won't have been in vain.

Stupid hurts.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #265
BWJ
ninja lurker

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
Before puting in fresh oil .. put drain plugh in.
been there done that...lol
BWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #266
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 2,991
When installing motorcycle wheel hub bearings, make sure you put the spacer in the hub before installing the last bearing. Or you may use profanity.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 AM   #267
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,785
When teaching 18 year old Son how to change oil in pickup be SURE he knows to put oil drain pan UNDER the drain plug. Or, you then get to teach him the finer points of removing oil stains from garage floor.

Did it yesterday.......
Jamming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #268
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383
When installing motorcycle wheel hub bearings, make sure you put the spacer in the hub before installing the last bearing. Or you may use profanity.
I may or may not have done that....

'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #269
spqr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
When trying out your brand new whisper light stove, ensure you know which way to turn the valve off. The 'soccar ball' sized flame can becume a beach ball sized flame, with the fuel bottle inside it.http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/kboom.gif

Lucky for me I had a pair of nomex gloves nearby. Even more lucky was that it died down before the GF http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/pepsweetie.gif found the halon fire extinguisher. http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/Annie.gif

And don't field test the stove near the lubricants and flammables section of your garage. I sometimes wonder how I managed to make it to this age without more scars.

My ride Report, I will finish it some day.

You pay your money, and you take your chances.

1983 R65 (sold to good home)
2001 Kawasaki Concours (Stacked and totaled)
1997 BMW F650 (Still rolling)
1987 kawasaki EX 500
2009 BMW F800 GS ('nough said)
2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 (The Mule)
spqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #270
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by spqr
I sometimes wonder how I managed to make it to this age without more scars.
Brother your preaching to the choir here . This whole thread is full of "hold my beer and watch this" types
Jamming is online now   Reply With Quote