User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #736
Skullenton
Awesome

Oddometer: 82
Shift Lever

So, I have read through the forums here at what is a good replacement lever for the X-Challnege. My local bike store has been incredibly patient with all my returns of suggested levers that I find to be well short of a real replacement lever.
So I started modifying a lever when I got sick of it. Turned out great. Cost me about $30 bucks by the time I Bought a lever, cut the spline off, then powder-coated it. Fantastic price since the cheapest touratech replacement is $80.

As you can see it looks nice (and I do say so myself). The middle lever is one I found that with a few bends will meet the purpose. And the rear is the stock BMW one which I have snapped and welded back together.

What I am getting to here is that this has been a rather long project of disappointment in most cases. So as a way of giving back to this forum I will be happy to build more levers for anyone else who would like a better alternative. The more people interested I'm quite sure will bring the price down. The price will be that of what it costs me to make it, no labor charge. So if you want a cheap, great quality mild steel lever PM me. If I get a few people interested I will start this ball rolling.
Skullenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #737
vince taylor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Im in

I would love to have one, consider me in and thanks for doing this.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #738
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,472
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullenton
So, I have read through the forums here at what is a good replacement lever for the X-Challnege. My local bike store has been incredibly patient with all my returns of suggested levers that I find to be well short of a real replacement lever.
So I started modifying a lever when I got sick of it. Turned out great. Cost me about $30 bucks by the time I Bought a lever, cut the spline off, then powder-coated it. Fantastic price since the cheapest touratech replacement is $80.

As you can see it looks nice (and I do say so myself). The middle lever is one I found that with a few bends will meet the purpose. And the rear is the stock BMW one which I have snapped and welded back together.

What I am getting to here is that this has been a rather long project of disappointment in most cases. So as a way of giving back to this forum I will be happy to build more levers for anyone else who would like a better alternative. The more people interested I'm quite sure will bring the price down. The price will be that of what it costs me to make it, no labor charge. So if you want a cheap, great quality mild steel lever PM me. If I get a few people interested I will start this ball rolling.
I could use a spare for the road. I did drill out my stock one, just haven't ruined it yet.

Count me in for 1 please!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #739
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:

Count me in for 2. I'd prefer if you put the hex nut top-down so that we can install easily rather than fiddling up-side down...IF we have room for requests :)

DiscoDino screwed with this post 08-28-2009 at 12:31 PM
DiscoDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #740
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:

Count me in for one.
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #741
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
I could use one.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #742
Skullenton
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Count me in for 2. I'd prefer if you put the hex nut top-down so that we can install easily rather than fiddling up-side down...IF we have room for requests :)
Should not be a problem.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #743
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Should not be a problem.
Nice...while we are at it...can it detect when I am standing and shift as the RPM range needed? also, can it automatically collapse into a quarter-sized ball when I plan on crashing?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #744
RushyUKOK?
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Great job on the gear lever.

Just a suggestion but this is supposed to be the index thread and as I think you are going to get a load of people reply to your super offer maybe a separate thread would be a good idea? .

Oh and i'd like one too please when production begins

RushyUKOK? screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 04:43 PM
RushyUKOK? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #745
Skullenton
Awesome

I actually thought people would PM me. Sorry bought that, your right.

Moved to here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post10739656

If there is a better way to move it, feel free to let me know.
Cheers.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #746
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Update on Fender & HID install

As some of you know, the KTM front fender I used didn't have any airflow holes...drilled some out today:

I thought I had a 3/4" dremel stone bil (that cone-type thing) but seemed to have lost it...so this will do for now...I'm going to get me that 3/4" and make them larger...guess what cheese I prefer

In the StowX I put my tire repair kit (everything except for the levers which are under the seat and the front tube...I never carry one as I have the patch kit)...so hybrid pump, 3xCO2 cartriges and the usual stuff...+ an MSR tow strap...filled that space pretty well:

And finally I went to work on installing the HID kit I got here from www.futurevisionhid.com (check in the vendor section). Found a place for the HD Ballast right next to my Oddyssey and routed the cables accordingly...so far no ill-affect on the voltmeter on the dash:

So 2 more things to go and this should be DONE (if it ever is):
  • Renazco seat (set for November)
  • Giant Loop (ordering next week)
Cheers,
Nadim
Old 08-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #747
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 627
Rear Rotor

Does anyone have a source for the Rear Rotor on the X-CH?

I purchased a Galfer DF703W which is listed on their site as fitting but the holes do not line up.

Gunslinger1 screwed with this post 08-31-2009 at 06:24 AM
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #748
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467

Booyeah!!
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 AM   #749
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
Rear Tire width for 140/80-18 Metzeler Sahara 3

Can somebody measure how wide the Sahara 3 in size 140/80-18 runs with normal air pressure? What rim size are you using: 2.50 x 18?

Thanks, Stephen

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #750
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,681
Here's a pic of a pipe I made out of an old Pro Circuit exhaust...

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote