ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #31
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 760
My Setup

Here's my setup.

Zumo 550 with Cell Phone via Bluetooth and MP3 via Amplirider w/ Volume Control listening through Etymotic ER6i. Amplirider is battery pack powered using a battery pack w/ on&off switch from Radio Shack. AA battery will last about 18 hours of normal to loud listening before needing to be recharged or replaced. I use Nicad batterys and charge on board when not using with Cig Lighter AC Adaptor shown.

The Amplirider is on the left side and the battery pack to the right. Notice the Amplirider volume control on the right side pocket. I use it to control the volume on the fly for my cell calls or MP3 music.

Mic and ER6i headphone. The flat tab for the mic holder is normally velcro'd to my hemet chin area but for this purpose, you can see the ball and socket mounting arrangement of the mic to the holder. I simply unclip and put everything back into my tank bag when not in use.

Jon
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #32
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC
Correct, not specifically made for bikes but it works. Placement of mic is critical. Worked OK for me as I could carry on a conversation.
What kind of speeds are we talking? I've tried my EDsets mic in various places on the chinbar and while some places work better than others I've been unable to carry on a conversation above 35 or so miles per hour in any position on the chinbar. I can hear them just fine but I come though all garbled with alots of wind noise.

My helmet is in the wind though as I don't have a huge windscreen and I have to wonder if the mic is picking up the vibration of the helmet as air moves past it.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:10 AM   #33
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,117
I use a Starcom headset with their adapter cable that plugs directly into the zumo, no intercom. Works like a champ.

They sell headsets for both full and openface/flip up helmets that come with just a mic and a jack for earbuds. I use Etymotic ER-6's work like a champ with it.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #34
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider
What kind of speeds are we talking? I've tried my EDsets mic in various places on the chinbar and while some places work better than others I've been unable to carry on a conversation above 35 or so miles per hour in any position on the chinbar. I can hear them just fine but I come though all garbled with alots of wind noise.

My helmet is in the wind though as I don't have a huge windscreen and I have to wonder if the mic is picking up the vibration of the helmet as air moves past it.
Helmet type may also be critical. I wear a full face dual sport helmet which has a thick chin bar and also controls the noise fairly well. It is not the 2 piece flip up type. I have it mounted on the front of the chin bar but mounted up so that wind noise will not be a big factor. You might also want to add a piece of sponge or foam to block the wind noise. If I have my visor open, I cannot talk on it due to all the wind noise. I am not sure about your mic but the one from Garmin works fairly well.

I am not real keen on taking phone calls while riding in anything technical but will take calls and make calls if I am super slabbing. I also found out that it is also a good commuication device if your riding buddy has a similar setup. Lot better than range limited Bluetooth or 2 way Radios.

Jon
Old 08-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #35
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,117
They key to all that is a quality noise canceling mic that is placed perfectly and practice in using it.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #36
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,887
Once upon a time you could go into most drugstores or clothing stores and buy those really long fat goofy looking shoelaces. They're essentially a hollow tube. If they're big enough you can slide cables through the inside to keep them more organized.

One day I'm going to make an adapter cable to go from the Zumo to the back of my tank just behind my tank bag. I want a 4 connector single plug socket there. Then I want a retractable spool setup with another straight 4 connector male plug to go into that. The retractor would keep the cable pulled up so that I could stand or sit without the cable flying. Then I'd want it so I could plug my ear buds into it as well as a microphone.

If Garmin would standardize their plug setups maybe someone could make a nice moulded plug that screws to the side of the bike mount and leads down cleanly to the kind of tank cable I want.

The one thing stopping me from trying to make all this stuff is my desire to go bluetooth instead of hardwired. People keep coming out with things that almost work and I keep foolishly buying and trying them. Ever hopeful.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is offline   Reply With Quote