Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #16
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Instantly, I knew something was wrong. My ass was cold, and resting firmly upon rather unpleasant ground.

The air mattress was a soggy semblence of its normal self.

An inventory of my situation.

I was on the side of a mountain.
In a thunderstorm.
With a leaky air mattress.

Suffice to say I didn't sleep well, occasionally re-inflating the thing by giving it CPR in the tent. I kinda slept in a bit, waking up at around 9:30 ish.

It took me a while to get going Saturday morning, but when I did, the view was astounding.

The view was nice, but I had no appetite to set up the stove for a cuppa joe. I ate a couple of plums for breakfast and got moving... and was able to truly appreciate the terrain I'd covered in darkness the night before.

This route, south from Meadow Creek to Kaslo, was a delightful blend of tight corners, hills, straights and scenery. Truly a delight.

I stopped in Kaslo, and got a cuppa coffee and a pepperoni stick before meandering on another totally wonderful road to New Denver. It was another hot day, so shortly after getting underway, I paused to do a little laundry.

This oughtta do.

Oh yeah.

I also rinsed out my shirt, and put it back on for the cooling factor.

No fish died, at least, not immediately.

Obligatory bike-at-point-of-rest shot.

I continued on my way, delighting in the blend of corners and curves.

If I ever achieve my goal of becoming a moderately famous author... or I win the lottery, Llydia will achieve her goal of living here permanently. I promise.

New Denver was crawling with motorbikes, including the obligatory sampling of sneakear-and-T-shirt-wearing cruiser riders paddling their rigs at stops. Having spent two days here - and just in two days - I know my bike-handling skills have increased dramatically. However, I wonder about the rookies that were clearly out and about... didn't hear of anything nasty, thankfully.

I got gas, re-watered, and moved on... Given the rigorous workout I gave the throttle, I found this mileage impressive. Very, very impressive.
Distance travelled: 336 Km
Amount of gas required: 17.11 Litres
Metric (Canada) 5.09 L/100KM
Metric (Europe) 19.64 KM/L
US Gallons 46.46 MPG
Imperial Gallons 55.48 MPG
Self-portrait at Arrow Lake lookout, south of New Denver.

Given the fact I had kinda a square edge on the tire three days earlier, this is pretty good work, I figure.

I followed a nicely paved road, mostly full of short straights and gentle sweepers to this location... Somewhere between Winlaw and Slocan Park. This river was being used by lots of rafters.

I stopped at Castlegar to get a new airmattress, returning the old one for a new one that would (hopefully) work, before meandering east.

More delightful sweepers, nothing technical, but enjoyable at legla speeds.

Moving east, the terrain started to change - hints of the heat of the southern Okanagan showing now.

There are, however, growing signs of smoke in the air. BC has been ravaged by forest fires this year. Coming out of Grand Forks:

Obligatory alpine lake by road shot:

The smoke, however, began to grow thicker as I moved eastward to Osoyoos.

Entering Osoyoos, the smoke became really nasty.

Wonderful roads, nonetheless.

This shot shows how thick the smoke is.

Obligatory locator shot.

In Osoyoos, I grab some more vittles for the road - breakfast and dinner included. Got gas, too.
Distance travelled: 331 Km
Amount of gas required: 17.05 Litres
Metric (Canada) 5.15 L/100KM
Metric (Europe) 19.41 KM/L
US Gallons 45.93 MPG
Imperial Gallons 54.84 MPG
Then I motored east, eager to find a camping spot before it got too late.... but not so fast as to miss a shot of the local vinyards...

Now, I managed to achieve the get-there-before-dark thing, but by the time I got myself set up, and dinner cooked, it was too dark for reasonable photos. I found one of the earlier-mentioned B.C. Forest Service sites, had a nice pasta dish for dinner, which I ate at the shores of the Similkameen River before retiring to bed.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #17
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun
What happened with the pickup? Did you call 911, or are those folks still out there waving a flashlight?
I dunno what happened. I checked for news the next day, but when I drove by the site - everything was clean. Haven't a clue, and given the nature of my work, finding out what happens after crashes is too much like work.

When I called the RCMP, I suggested they bring out a dog. To search for ejected passengers.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

Ocean, ho!

Morning!

It's Sunday, and time to make serious distance: my goal is to make Vancouver Island by the afternoon, so I had best far exceed my mere 400km of the day before.

Breakfast was the obligatory coffee and oatmeal. I'd done some more laundry the night before, and it was dry by the morning.

The only downside to the night was the B.C. Parks site across the river. Some idiot with a motorhome had a dog, and the dog yapped ALL NIGHT LONG. Then continued into the day. Fer Crissakes, leave the yapping mutt at home if it's going to disturb folks...

Anyhow, motoring eastwards, I soon zip past Princeton and start gaining altitude. But hell, it's COLD.

Stop to add jacket liner.

Moving eastward, the terrain changes again... subtle changes, as we move towards the Coastal Mountains.

Long roads now, ideal for gaining some distance quickly.

At this point, the traffic started getting pretty thick, and I realized that I could, if I moved with some velocity, see my kid for part of Sunday. So I put the camera away and made some distance, hitting Hope well before noon. I fuelled up and made a few phone calls at the Chevron in Hope. The place was crawling with cruisers, mostly Harleys. My loaded, bug-encrusted dualsport looked very out of place amidst the chrome and polish of the hogs.

Yet a funny moment followed. A thin guy, maybe in his late 40s, came out of the gas station, and starts looking around.

"Gotta find my bike," he says. "Damn things, they all look alike."

He then comes over and looks at Llydia.

"Put a lot of miles on 'er, I bet," he says. It's at that point I realize the guy is a full-patch Hell's Angel.

"Yep. Got her in April of 2007, and have about 30,000 km on her now."

"You've got this pretty well rigged out," he says, noting the home-brew bashplate and KLR-cheapness front boxes. He tells me about the party he went to last night, saying he's headed back to Vancouver today.

"She's not pretty," I said, "but hell, I can't think of a better bike for what I do. Last night, I was on the side of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. Tonight, I hope to camp by the ocean."

"It don't matter what it looks like," he said, casting a furtive glance around him, clearly drawing the cruisers into his gaze. "At least you ride it."

With that interchange done, and news from Victoria that my kid wasn't quite ready for my presence, I dawdle, taking the scenic route to the Lower Mainland. Folks hitting Hope usually take the Trans-Canada, which is packed with bumper-to-bumper cars, but I like Highway 7, for obvious reasons.

Eventually, I hvae to cross over to the Trans-Canada, which is an utter mess of idiots on a Sunday afternoon. Bumper-to-bumper insanity, nobody looking where they are going, unsignalled lane changes... idiots everywhere. That's one of the reasons I heeded the advice of some local ADVers to nip south at Abbotsford and take a less-known route to the ferry. I quite liked it.

Pretty casual.

These, I have to tell you all, were the BEST blackberries I've ever had in my 43 years. Sadly, they were all out of reach, growing high in a hedge.

I had to stop at White Rock, because the cord on my helmet was going wonky. I needed it to work so I could use the intercom with my daughter.

The lower mainland and Island cities were all like this - busy, but tidy and green.

More to come later.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #19
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,704
I'd like to see your mileage in size 11 feet per teaspoon

Please recalculate.

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #20
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

Replacing the cord on my intercom/speaker/music setup did nothing. I did some roadside poking, to determine that a solder joint had died... the timing sucked, because I really wanted to have the intercom for my kidlet.

Abandoning that fixit problem, I head for the ferry. The BC Ferry system is pretty well established, and motorbikes are always given preference - first on, first off.

There was a pretty decent line of rigs, mostly cruisers.

There was, however, another 'strom. I saw a lot of 'em during my B.C. trip, so it seems a few folks have figured out the cost-benefit-utilty angle of the rigs.

This one came from Alberta.

It was suitably baptized. Those who are not familiar with the 'stroms should note that almost every new owner ends up dropping the things and killing a turn signal.

The ferries to Victoria go through Active Pass between Gabriola Island and Saltspring Island. It is not a place for small craft, becuase the rip tides are intense.

Here's an example of clashing tides. Not a place you want to be in a small kayak.

South...

North, to Saltspring Island.

Customary sailboat shot.

On the way off to the ferry, I ran into one of many idiot Lower Mainland drivers. I'm sitting in the fast lane, doing the limit and change, overtaking a string of vehicles on the right, when a motorhome comes up on my rear and gives me about half a car-length. After realising this idiot is threatening my safety, I goose the throttle and get out of his way. We exchange pleasantries, and I left to realize why BC's insurance rates are twice what I have to pay in Saskatchewan, then take a scenic detour to soothe my soul.

That runs me down the roads that feed the Lochside trail, one of Victoria's true jems. These guys are part of model airplane club that lease some non-arable farmland. A couple years ago, some new neighbour tried to shut them down, but a series of public airshows and stromg support from the landowner mean they are still alive.

The Lochside trail: perfect for cyclists. I used to belong to a municipal committee that helped steer and promote cycling/walking trails... and had a minor role to play in the surfacng of this section.

At this point, I realize I have to accomplish a couple of tasks. One, I need to eat dinner. Two, I need to either find someone with a soldering iron or buy one. First, dinner.

I stop at a local store and grab some buns and ham... but I'm approached by a chap on a Goldwing, who saw my plate and wondered if I was lost or needed some guidance. Chap's name is Reg.

Anyhow, Reg and I get to talking and swapping tales. After 20 minutes of nattering, I explain that I have to get moving to find Source (nee Radio Shack). He asks why, and then offers me use of his soldering iron if I go back to his place - a mere half-block away.

About 45 minutes later, I've finished up my soldering work, and the intercom works again. By this point, he's offered his lawn as a crashpoint - so we keep nattering. Bikes and trips and places to go and things to do and all that are exchanged. Later in the evening, we get to discussing, well, my work. And it turns out that his uncle is the grandfather of one of my reporters. Small world.

Monday is a day much-awaited: a chance to see PictureKid for the first time in many months. Eventually, we hop on the bike and go play tourist... which is kind of odd, because I know this place so well, after living in Victoria for 20 years and working as a journalist for a decent slice of that time.

Mount Douglas Park:

Looking north...

This is the time of the year when temperatures clash. Any clash in water/air temperature will invariably produce fog. Some parts of the coastline were enveloped in a thick layer of the stuff.

Cattle Point in Oak Bay:

Yachts in Oak Bay. This odd little community is intentionally highbrow, with zoning bylaws that prevent undesirable things like, well, normal folk, from buying houses and living here.

After an obligatory drive-by visit to my old workplace, we head out to Metchosin, for one of the best culinary secrets in Greater Victoria - MyChosin Cafe. It's grown much in the last 20 years, from a little operation to a dedicated building, with hewn-log facades and a painted ceiling that makes the interior look like you're having dinner in a run-down barn.

My standard fare: A Worker's Burger. I keep calling it that, in hopes the current "Workman's Burger" name will die. It's not worked so far. Lessee - burger, bacon, cheese, buncha other stuff. Lotsa calories. Surely an ADV-acceptable meal.

Out back, there's a little farm - sorta a petting zoo.

Goats:

Oh, look! A chicken!

Kid keeps growing.

Traffic jam!

With that done, we retire for the day, with varioud dad-and-daughter activities that include things like swimming, where cameras are not favoured nor - given the girth of the author - advised.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #21
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

Camping with PictureKid

Some of you know my story, of how my daughter and I have come to be some significant distance apart. I see little of her, and this year less than I would like.

I am not a man of great wealth. I do not pretend to curry favour with gifts and trinkets. Those fade. Memories last... and thus it was on Tuesday that I set out to provide a few memories for my little lady. Our journey began mid-day, heading eastward from Greater Victoria for Sooke and beyond.

In Sooke, we grabbed some vittles for the road. And gas. Sadly, I cannot translate into teaspoons per imperial foot. Well, i could, but I'm lazy.
Distance travelled: 365 Km
Amount of gas required: 19.273 Litres
Metric (Canada) 5.28 L/100KM
Metric (Europe) 18.94 KM/L
US Gallons 44.80 MPG
Imperial Gallons 53.50 MPG
The road to Jordan River is pleasant, and much favoured by local riders.

Jordan River is located on pretty much the south east tip of Vancouver Island. It faces south, to Washington State, but is subject to the Pacific Ocean's unfettered tides - here, the gentle slope of the Jordan River delta means the site is popular for surfers.

Onward we go, with PictureKid experiencing some of the wonders of bike-in-twisty terrain. She loves it, and keeps urging dad to go faster.

Carving pleasant roads to Port Renfrew, we turn north, along what is now one of the government's "circle routes." In past, I'd come along this way to get some basic off-pavement riding done. It was here I did the last out-of-city riding before moving to Saskatchewan.

This is why.

Giant cedars of the pacific coast rainforest. Unbelievable giants.

Fairy Lake is the site of one of the B.C. Forest Service Campgrounds. The little lady and I went camping here many years ago. A feature then, and now, is this little tree, growing out of an old stump in the middle of the lake.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #22
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

The newly paved road, I must say, has transformed a moderately interesting off-road journey into a thoroughly enjoyable journey.

View Larger Map

I highly recommend it. One feature is a giant spruce tree, an easy walk from the road.

A human for scale.

Now, as a warning, those individuals travelling this road should be a bit cautious regarding gravel. I came around one corner a bit blase about such things, and only just managed to see a fair hunkload of little pebbles right at the apex of a very tight corner. I managed to dump some speed, and the bike's rear wheel only shuddered. However, it could have been worse... and I resolved to go a bit slower from thereon in.

The moisture from the ocean caused a fair degree of cooling in PictureKid, so we stopped at A&W in Lake Cowichan for a hot chocolate, before we went hunting for a campsite.

I knew of one - and punched in some co-ordinates to the GPS unit. A story, now, is in order.

I arrived at the location, to find it had been closed. It was then that I triggered on a memory.

It was, if I recall, 2006, when PictureKid and I went for a camping trip on the Island. While there, some guy showed up on a strange-looking motorbike, one I'd never seen before. Among its features was a fair amount of luggage. I quizzed the guy, and discovered he camped off his bike, and travelled some significant distances. I purchased Llydia less than a year later, but I twigged - at that very moment - at where one of the seeds for my current habit first sprouted.

Anyhow, PictureKid and I did some poking around - including a bit of an off-road excursion that caused some sanity-related questions from my passenger.

"Kid," I said, "See that road? If I were alone, I'd probably find somewhere at the end of it and call that my home for the night. That's what I do."

But I had strongly suggested we'd camp at your basic pay site - and we found one, Skutz Falls Provincial Park. We settled in and dined on mac and cheese for dinner.

It was a slightly chilly night, but we were comfortable...

... until the air mattress started to deflate. Again. I was not impressed. In the morning,the air mattress found a new home in the dumpster. I made breakfast.

While I despise paying for campsites, I could not complain about the scenery.

We moved on, puttering about looking for a couple of things - one of which was being a pair of smaller air mattresses, a variety I have tested many times with little drama.

From there, we kinda just ambled about, stopping here and there, including a visit to the well-known ice cream store at Black Creek.

More poking about, largely looking for a swimming pool, eventually led us to head towards Horne Lake.

We eventually found a campsite by Horne Lake, and obtained a lakeside spot. It was getting late, so we set up quickly. Or rather, I set up while PictureKid took a few photos. She also vowed to inflate one of the little mattresses herself, using her own lungpower.

Resting comfortably on two new and not-leaking airmattresses, we spent the night talking, playing cards and generally bonding. And, I may add, sleeping blissfully on our new not-leaking air mattresses.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #23
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

Wednesday morning, we woke to this:

For some time, we debated whether to stay here or move on. After a while, the little lady and I agreed to call our camping done - as we'd originally outlined. We headed home at a lazy pace, and proceeded to spend a few days of quiet time together.

On the way out, we had an encounter with an Vancouver Island bear.

This little guy was just sitting there, for purposes unknown.

On Saturday morning - the day I was to leave, I visited and old friend for a coffee and a donut while PictureKid snoozed. Interestingly, the meeting point was a Timmies next to the vehicle driving/testing centre. After the visit, I took Llydia through the testing courses. Holy Hannah, the twisty curves combined wtih 30,000km of bike experience has had an impact. I zipped through the slaloms and was able to turn the bike at bars-locked through a u-turn. I couldn't do that as easily not that long ago.

Anyhow, after a teary goodbye - five days with the little lady is too little - I motored onto the ferry. Not knowing how long it might be before I see ocean again, I snagged this piccy.

I chose to follow 0 Avenue from White Rock to Abbotsford. This route goes right along the border, and has very little in the way of either traffic, stop signs or other obstacles.

It does, however, serve as prime spawning ground for the Giant Pacific Mountain Marshmallow. This elusive species tends to proliferate in the alpine reaches of places like the B.C. Coastal Mountains and the nearby Olympic range in Washington. In summer, the adults of the species come down to the fields of nearby farms to spawn.

Here's a couple of the creatures gathering in advance of spawning in a field just east of White Rock.

Unfortunately, the eggs of these noble beasts are a delicacy - they are processed and turned into the common marshmallows. The adults are frequently culled for the unfertilized eggs. In recent years, the declining stocks have led to some thoughts the stocks may be in danger. There are other reports that farmers have wantonly shot these gentle beasts, as the creatures often fatten up on grains and other produce before returning to the mountains to winter.

God. Noble things, these beasts. Heavy with emotion, I plod on.

A new border marker.

Another marker, a little further down the road.

Llydia, as seen from a foreign country.

Good God, it's good to be back in Canada again.

Geez. You guys drive slow.

Canada and the United States share the world's longest undefended border. To the left of the power lines, Canada. To the right, the United States. We are truly blessed to be living in two countries that have no need to erect fences/walls or other barriers between each other.

'Murican dirt. Looks much like our dirt.

I tuck a left into Abbotsford, bound northeast. I want to make a bit of distance, but I have a detour planned... i want to ride some familiar terrain: the Fraser Canyon.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #24
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

Eager to make time, I endure the zoo that is the Trans-Canada highway and blast eastwards to Hope. Many of the little communities are a leftover from the Gold Rush when miners eager to carve a fortune would follow the Fraser Canyon north to Barkerville in hopes of striking it rich.

In the late 80s, the goverment built a new superhighway between Hope and Kamloops - the Coquihalla. A toll road (that was only supposed to be a toll road until construction costs were recouped, but remains a toll road as a cash grab) cuts down on driving time out of the Lower Mainland by an hour, or more. Hence, much fewer cars come this way. Spuzzum, one such community, is dead and many other communities are either stagnant or dying.

There's a local joke here, that used to tie into a once-modest community called Spuzzum. It was a small little village. Folks used to say that Spuzzum was beyond Hope. Others would say that the rest of B.C. was beyond Hope.

Anyhow... this is beyond Hope.

The mighty Fraser River.

A couple things to note here. First off, the rail tracks. At one point many decades ago, there were two rail systems in Canada. The first to connect the nation sea to sea was the Canadian National (Google "the last spike), and in difficult terrain, such as the Fraser Canyon, Canadian National had to take the undesired or more difficult side of the canyon.

Thousands of Chinese immigrants were put to work on the rail construction. Many died. They were put to work doing dangerous things like handling nitroglycerin (an explosive.)

One of the sad parts of B.C. history lies in the historical revisionism that went on under a former socialist government. An area near the rail used to be called "Chinaman Creek" but was renamed because the government of the day considere the name offensive. Me, I figure it should have stayed the way it was, a reminder of the history we have. Just because we don't like the history we made doesn't mean we should ignore it.

Another bite of history: riverboats used to ply the Fraser River, from Vancouver to Prince George, some 800km upstream, until a massive series of slides created a rapids in the river, now called "Hell's Gate." Used to be a major tourist attraction, but has wanted following the installation of the new interior highway.

As I moved up the valley, I noticed - again - smoke. I had heard news of some forest fires in the southern interior, so I guessed that's where this current batch of smoke came from.

Moving up the valley,the terrian begins to get more desert-like.

One of the neat things about B.C. is that if one starts in a certain location, one can - within one day's drive - find rainforest, temperate forest, alpine meadow, alpine, glacier, desert, semi-desert and one of Canada's three designated fruit belts.

In a location few actually can see from the main road, the Fraser is joined by the Thompson River. This is upstream of that junction, and this is the Thompson River. I love this location... You can see the orange hue created by the smoke in the air.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #25
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

There is so much history in this valley. Somewhere during our camping, PictureKid asked me about Morse code and how it came to be. I gave her a bit of a history lesson about telegraphs.

Odd, then, that I'd run into a series of these.

Spences Bridge. Moving ever-closer into pure desert, but not yet. Nor will I. I plan to turn towards Merritt. I have a big day planned tomorrow... a last dance in the Kootenays.

The joy of a dual sport is that one can depart the beaten path. Such as, for example, exploring abandoned rail lines - there are many such entry points in this, the Nicola Valley.

I eventually settle on camping down one of these abandoned spurs.

Singapore-style curried noodles for dinner.

I went to bed, eager to rise early and begin an action-packed day. Or, at least, so I had planned.

Fate, however, had another plan in mind.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #26
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

Oh CRAP!!

The morning began in typical fashion: coffee, oatmeal, and packing proceeded as normal.

Then, as is my habit, I conducted the usual asset check. Had I left anything behind? Nope. Did I have everything? Yep.

Except, as I am occasionally wont to do, I hadn't put my wallet back in the tankbag.

Or my jacket pocket.

or my pants.
Oh shit.

I proceeded, in moderately panicked fashion, to delve into every nook and cranny possible - but I did not find my wallet. The obvious solution, of course, was that I left it at the last gas stop, which is where my ongoing fanatic collection of gas receipts to chart fuel economy seemed to be a useful thing.

However, I had no cell signal. So I drove to a farmhouse, and asked a local farmer to assist me. Chris, her name was, was awesome. However, a few calls to the station revealed no wallet.

Emergency reactions say to check one's assets and liabilities in an emergency.

Liabilities: I do not exist. I have no insurance/registration. No money, no bank card, no credit card and I am a long way from anyone I know.
Assets: I have, maybe, enough gas for 120-140km. Enough food to last two-three days. I have $7. And my cellphone.

So I decide to ride to Merritt. There, I cancel my credit card, and pillage Internet access to put out a call for help here on ADV.

Rob1313 comes through, wiring me enough cash to get me home - and more.

Now, the combination of the emergency, the altered route plan (beeline HOME) and the ongoing smoke limits pictures from here. I take the Trans-Can out to Alberta.

In Revelstoke, I get a bit of a shock. A few weeks ago, I wrote a column about a kid who got hit with a pretty sad, racist nickname: Chuggie. He's on the front page of a B.C. newspaper, implicated in a series of fairly well-known murders. Odd.

I keep moving east.

In Golden, I grab a Subway (screw cooking, I'm in a hurry) and keep moving. However, I do pause to note this honourary member of the KLR owners club:

Coming out of Golden, there's some pretty twisty sections.

And these guys, in the middle of the road.

My thoughts on losing my wallet:

Only in Rogers Pass does it clear enough to take pics.

Lotsa altitude in the Crowsnest Pass.

Leaving BC

I push on, forging my way to Bieseker, AB. About 800+ km in 12 hours. I set up my tent, and crash at about 12:30, after I have to put my foot down to execute a gentle U-turn, I know I'm too tired ot push on. I find as good a spot as I can.

I can't brush my teeth at night, because the pressure of the altitude change has caused my little tube of suntan lotion to evacuate its contents all over my personal effects.

Adding to my woes, I have once more found myself a spot beside a *&@*&@ railroad track, and am thus woken twice in the night by big trains. Damnit.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #27
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

Monday. Moving day. I stand on the rail tracks. Goodness, my urban stealth-camping skills need work.

I shall spare the details of moving east. Because well, it's full of this.

Utter. Unending. Flat.

Home. Tire not square.

31720 on the odo.

5,214 km. Journey over.

Yet another, for what its worth, was quietly started.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #28
Moving Pictures OP
Sir Loin of Biff

This story, will have to wait...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #29
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,160
".....machine with highway pegs that make the guy look more like he's getting ready to give birth."
Good line. It's not copywrited or anything is it? Pretty fine rr also.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #30
sproot
Sturdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Thanks for the rr, sproot wife wants to emigrate out there (BC probably), good to see a native's perpective on the place. If nothing else, your rr has ruled out Saskatchewan

What's with the 'ditching the wallet' thing though ? The last rr I read had the same happen. Is it some sort of initiation to the ADv world?