User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
Ray Ray OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Question Airhead Gearbox foamin' up!

I was just out changing my hypoid oil in the '78 /7. lo and behol' the oil is like runny cake batter, yellow custurd, dripping from a dead dog's eye.
This is the second time I have seen it this way. Last change was....oh...2000 miles ago?

Details in the case:

Bike lives in the PNW
Lives outside (covered by bike cover)
Gets ridden every work week 22 miles round trip and assorted jaunts on weekends (thats probably 250 miles per week avg.)
Run BMW (made by spectro) 75-140 super synth
Bike is a pisces
Loves long walks and movies
College education a plus
Turn offs include, going slow, bad car drivers, 87 octane fuel

So if anyone has any ideas comments or would like to get to know miss /7 please reply
Ray Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
THis happens when moisture gets introduced or condenses in the oil. The speedo drive on an airhead is not sealed. And even if it were, it only takes a little bit. you will probably see the same in the valve covers if the bike doesnt get more than a commute to work and back in the winter.

drain it good. put some inexpensive gear oil in there. Run it for a few hundred miles, replace it again.

also put a little silicone sealer around the top of the boot that surrounds the end of the speedo cable. If the boot is cracked, replace it. Same goes for the cable outer sheath.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
As chop says - water in oil.

When you say second time you have seen it this way - when (as in time wise) was the first time you saw it this way? If it is just recently then you have a new leak for the water to get in. If it was a long time ago then may be you are just doing short trips at the moment and not getting the oil hot enough to boil off the water?
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
Ray Ray OP
Adventurer

OH, YEAH!!!

That the boot is a little knackered so moisture is probably seeping in...guess I'll go get a damn boot.

Thanks chopperman...you ever take a break, get a sandwich or something, maybe go to costco a buy some muffins.

those muffins are good.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #5
Ray Ray OP
Adventurer

Das Boot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
As chop says - water in oil.

When you say second time you have seen it this way - when (as in time wise) was the first time you saw it this way? If it is just recently then you have a new leak for the water to get in. If it was a long time ago then may be you are just doing short trips at the moment and not getting the oil hot enough to boil off the water?
uh yeah, It was about 2000 miles ago. "I do say this oil looks might watery, what thouest I doest, I will replace it"

Today It was back. So I think Chopper be correct about the boot...ya ever notice it's always the boot why just last week I said look at that boot. Better do something about that boot, yup. BOOT BOOT BOOT...BOOT...and more BOOTS.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:29 AM   #6
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
A new boot alone won't fix it. Put a tad of silicone on the area where the cable comes out the boot. That will seal it better. As well, it takes a few "cycles" to get the oil to not turn coffee color between changes. If you can, change with cheaper oil, run it around the block, change it, run it around the block etc. Do this two or three times to get all the water out, then replace with new expensive oil. Check again in 2000 miles etc. It happens to the final drives too on occasion.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:47 AM   #7
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,880
I've heard of using marine outboard lower unit oil. I've heard stories of outdrives going years and years without an oil change and the gears looking like new. The oil evidently keeps the water in suspension, but doesn't allow it to rust the gears somehow.

I've also heard that Caterpillar sells a gear oil that may be very similar and prevents water from building up in the bottom and rusting out the bearings, etc.
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote