Oddometer: 4,537
For anyone who cares

www.bevelheaven.com
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:44 PM   #47
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Gorgeous Scrambler, TD, kudos on a great job!

But it looks lonely. Maybe it Needs a Friend

If I didn't have so many bikes torn apart right now I would be on this like stink on a monkey.

Those Laverda drums will pop an eyeball when they are set up correctly.

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #48
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994

Great thread.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #49
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,898
TD, You should contact the seller after the auction ends. I doubt that it will make reserve, and he may negotiable afterwards. Option 2 is we let Jinx buy it and store it in our safe, warm and dry climate, here in ABQ. Jinx?

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #50
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobiker
TD, You should contact the seller after the auction ends. I doubt that it will make reserve, and he may negotiable afterwards. Option 2 is we let Jinx buy it and store it in our safe, warm and dry climate, here in ABQ. Jinx?
A few problems, mate:

1) To leave it anywhere in the SW is an invitation to the worst affliction a classic can be subjected to - Dry Rot.

"well, it won't get dry rot if we ride it for you, Jinx. And we promise to ride it a lot so it will always be daisy fresh"

2) Thanks, mate, I knew I could count on you. But that brings us to problem #2 "Dear Lord, stop me before I modify again"

Because I have "The Catalogue". Yes, that Catologue: Catalogo Tecnio N.1

If I and any Ducati come into unioned bliss under the same roof I am a ruined man. No more Aerospace career for me. Just a string of endless long distance calls to Italy and a credit card bill that would make the Dept of Defense gag. Picture me at the offramp, squeegee at the ready, with my little cardboard sign that reads "Need Frizione a Secco. Anything helps"

And don't think the bike being in the SW and myself being here would spare you from the horror, as box-after-box of custom Italian goodies keep arriving at my command on your doorstep like so many Advriders at an unguarded keg.

"Bloody Jinx is on the phone again, he wants to know if the CR Gearbox is shimmed yet?"

"Er, tell that sod that it's got some dry rot. Now, my turn again? Where are the bloody keys"

"Never mind, the tosser must have run out of quarters. I figure we are good for a few hours till he squeegees up another call. And, hang on, what do you mean your turn?!!"

So, no, it is all too tempting, Eurobiker, but I have to let this one slide. But please help a mate out and somebody buy this Devil's Limb of a Ducati before another good man is destroyed.

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori
Old 12-08-2004, 08:42 PM   #51
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,898
Jinx, old man, perhaps this is more to your liking. The advantage here is you get the rest of the bike to go with the brakes.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:03 PM   #52
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Quote:
Jinx, old man, perhaps this is more to your liking. The advantage here is you get the rest of the bike to go with the brakes.
For pity's sake please, stop parading these devices of easy virtue in front of me. I am only flesh and blood.

And I am already married (see below). And there is currently laying on the garage floor a new/used CR straight-cut g-box, new/used V11 Sport flywheel, new/used sump w/filter (WTF, if you are going to pull the trans, may as well pull the engine and machine the cases for the new oiling system. And while it's apart let's see.......).

This (and one other Italian and three Spanish piles) is all I can handle, mate. I am hanging on to a squeegeeless existance by my fingernails as it is.

PS - The point of this exercise is not to termpt Jinx further along the road to perdition. Nature and gravity will see to that. The point is we need TD to re-load and have another go so we can continue to enjoy his excellent threads.

Jinx screwed with this post 12-08-2004 at 09:37 PM
Old 12-09-2004, 05:22 AM   #53
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,259
Jinx, why'd you hafta post that link for the Mk3? that wuz my holy grail years ago. You've got me lookin' at the checking & savings accounts, and thinking about how to break it to tthe wife I want yet another bike
Like I don't have enough to do this winter
Old 12-09-2004, 06:01 AM   #54
Team Dennis OP
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Tell us more. Yours???? Known problems?? etc,etc.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:02 AM   #55
Team Dennis OP
Certified Troublemaker

[QUOTE=Jinx

PS - The point of this exercise is not to termpt Jinx further along the road to perdition. Nature and gravity will see to that. The point is we need TD to re-load and have another go so we can continue to enjoy his excellent threads. [/QUOTE]

I am lookong for early Japanese at this point. CB/CL 72,77.
Any leads out there? (other than Ebay)
TD
Old 12-10-2004, 09:27 AM   #56
arroyoshark
Needing some space

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Dennis
I am lookong for early Japanese at this point. CB/CL 72,77.
Any leads out there? (other than Ebay)
TD
Dennis, guess I really owe you an apology, after all. I hadn't snapped, when we first talked, as to your intense passion to refurbish old bikes, and your need for self abuse in this area. Further reflecting on the "spoke waxing" comment, up in Ouray, I now realize you have been deprived of adequate time for bonding (or perhaps, bondo-ing) with your CB400F.

In that light, I happily offer to borrow your 'F' for a long weekend and give it a real proper thrashing, so you can have a winter project.
arroyoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:36 AM   #57
Team Dennis OP
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arroyoshark
Dennis, guess I really owe you an apology, after all. I hadn't snapped, when we first talked, as to your intense passion to refurbish old bikes, and your need for self abuse in this area. Further reflecting on the "spoke waxing" comment, up in Ouray, I now realize you have been deprived of adequate time for bonding (or perhaps, bondo-ing) with your CB400F.

In that light, I happily offer to borrow your 'F' for a long weekend and give it a real proper thrashing, so you can have a winter project.

Well, that was an easy re-condition. Strip the wheels off for the new rubber, paint the acid damaged frame and install the re-chromed rear muffler. The spoke waxing comment was meant to compliment you on your maintenance regime. Safely tucked away in the bedroom now, all future road tests have been cancelled.