User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #301
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,247
Truly an incredible report.

I'll be back in the dual sport arena again soon. I bought a new DRZ400S and currently have it apart to set it up for adventure touring.

I plan to take several trips to Death Valley this winter to complete some of the loops I haven't completed a few years ago. Also hope to ride some of the best of the TAT and Conti Divide Trail and would like to spend two or three days riding Moab.

Your report is great. Do you plan to take the XR650R on your next off road adventure?

Always love your reports.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #302
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,117
Hi Jim, nice to see you!!!

Yeah, the XRR will be the bike. I don't have anything big planned for awhile. Next year I'm taking the fam to DV in the Willys and 2011 my wife and I will probably ride to Alaska on something. If I can sneak a motorcycle trip to DV I will...not sure when.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #303
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,247
You have sure gotten your monies worth out of the Husky. After riding over 30,000 miles, on-road, the past two years, I have ridden to all the destinations on my "bucket list" and now have a new list for off-road.

Your recent reports have been good "food for thought" for planning some of my next trips although my planned trips won't be nearly as long as yours.

A friend of mine rode the TAT this summer, on an XR650R. He rode from Central California on road to TN and then rode the TAT all the way through Utah but then decided to bail on the remainder and headed home.

He said if he did it again he would start in Colorado and ride the TAT west to Oregon and skip the rest and carry much less gear.

His XRR has held up very well but he also burned up his rear wheel bearings during the last part of his TAT ride this summer and he maintains his bike very well.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #304
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Morning day twenty.

I had walked to a market last night after I checked into the Motel 6. Tequila, beer and some snacks. I'm exploring all options as I have no idea how this is going to shake out. I talked to some dudes on a paving crew, they had room in a pickup and live near me..they have to go to another town the next day for another job and won't be coming back, I'd have to load up and go right now..I still want to see if I can fix the old girl and pass on that option.

I get up early and decide to see where I stand with the bike. Is it even something that can be fixed? I replaced the bearings before I left on this trip and they're shot at 5500 miles. I borrowed a hammer from the handy man at the motel and got to work.

Makes me want to puke.

I managed to get the bad bearings out with a claw hammer and a tire iron. The hub is okay.

I take my wheel to my room and make a call to MotoXotica. Dan wasn't in yet, so I hassled him about working bankers hours on his voice mail. Dan called me back as soon as he got into the shop and got some bearings out to UPS for a next day delivery. Best dealer ever!!

I made a call to my bud up in Portland, just a progress report...stranded in Ely, Nevada. I had this great plan to swim in the pool all day. I layed down to watch TV while I waited for a little warmer sunshine outside and woke up a minute later...it was dark outside. What? I fell asleep at 9:30 this morning and slept for over 11 hours? I must have been tired? Holy cow, I'm starving!!! Man, I have really been running these past weeks. Not counting today I've averaged 290 miles per day for nineteen days. I had this thought in the back of my head that I would run the TAT out to the Oregon coast if I could manage my original plan of 330 miles per day...it's just not going to happen...I'm almost relieved...strange how that feels.

I head out looking for food on foot. Found a Silver State Challenge car in the parking lot.

I suppose it's better than sitting on the side of a dirt road hoping somebody will come along.

That'll fill the tummy!!

I have a nightcap and call an end to day twenty. Zero miles.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #305
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
Hey LB,
That is important information, thanks! As I'm slowly putting a plan together for a next year ride on very similar routes. I'm using the 300 miles a day as a parameter. But after reading your report, I'm thinking it will be more realistic to set lower expectations and use 250 a day as the benchmark to calculate how many days I will need. Or how many miles I can accomplish with the many days I will have. I think I ride a pace very similar to yours. But I will be riding this terrain for the first time, and my chances of losing time finding the route will be greater. I assume some parts of the CDT are faster, and I plan to take advantage of that to make the average daily mileage.
Great stuff, thanks!
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy

Man, I have really been running these past weeks. Not counting today I've averaged 290 miles per day for nineteen days. I had this thought in the back of my head that I would run the TAT out to the Oregon coast if I could manage my original plan of 330 miles per day...it's just not going to happen...I'm almost relieved...strange how that feels.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #306
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Well son of a gun...I just discovered nearly thirty minutes of video that I have no recollection of shooting. I got the entire storm from back near Salina, Utah...If Andy thought I sounded crazy before...I find a whole new level of crazy in this video. The stress must have made me forget shooting this segment. I cuss pretty good a time or two and scream and holler in pain from the hail. I just watched the whole clip and I'm scared all over again.

It's really violent. I suppose that's my project for today when I get up later.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #307
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,085
cain't wait!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #308
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,359
Wonder why the bearings went so quick - 9000 miles on my 610 and both front and back are fine - is it mud? I don't get much of that in Az.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #309
Agave
El Corazón

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
Wonder why the bearings went so quick - 9000 miles on my 610 and both front and back are fine - is it mud? I don't get much of that in Az.
I don't think he'll admit it, but Larryboy rides really freaking hard (Dakar rally style) and I dont think he's owned a bike that can keep up with his style period! That's what happened to the wheel bearings
Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #310
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Yeah Jim, your buddy should have turned west in Colorado..around Salida would be a perfect place to overnight, then start back west on the TAT.

Lion, miles per day...it's all about resolve, mind over your situation. I ran away from home when I was 10 and rode 35 miles on a BMX bike in a driving Oregon rain storm...resolve. Under the right conditions all of Wyoming can be done in one day on the Divide..yes, you can make time here and there.

Wheel bearings...my original set locked up at about 9,000 miles. I took them out, pulled the seals, freed them up with some solvent, packed em with grease and put them back in. I figured that leaving on a fresh set of bearings would get me thru the trip, Dan at MotoX was surprised that I made it to 5500 miles on this set.

I ride like an old woman...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

All right..we're backing up a couple days to before Salina,Utah. Thunderstorms suck. I tend to push ahead because I'm trying to gobble up as much dry road as possible before it turns to slop.

Watch in this vid and you can see all of the lightning. Let's ride.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #311
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

More thunderstorm action, up over the pass and into the rain and hail.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #312
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Once I'm on the pavement the clutch cable snaps. Sorry for my language.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #313
nwgs
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,529

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #314
j2beers
Taxpayer

Oddometer: 40
Unbelievable. "Scary" is definitely appropriate!
j2beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #315
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Morning day twenty-one.

I go to the office to let them know I'm waiting for a UPS delivery...UPS came already and didn't leave anything for me. I slump into a chair and feel like crying. The girl working the counter this morning is the same girl that checked me in the other night...she takes pity on me and fires up the phone. She is very good and got the right person on the phone and found out that another truck had the next day stuff on it and it should be here before noon.

I spend some time drinking coffee in the lobby and talking to Kayla. She is an absolute sweetheart. She radios the housekeeping staff when rooms are ready to be cleaned. Goes like this, "Frogger to housekeeping, room so and so is empty, Frogger out." I ask about "Frogger" and she flips a foot up onto the counter...frog slippers. From the office a voice says, "Kayla, I've warned you about those slippers...go change them." I holler, "She changes those slippers and I'm checking out and leaving a bad review!!" She laffs and allows the slippers. Me and a German fellow talked to Kayla for a long time..we learned about the whore houses, all of the awesome staff that works here, living in a town that has nothing...really a great way to spend a morning.

Check out time is noon and I'm going to wait until then. If my bearings don't come by then I'll move out and wait on the sidewalk. At 11:30 a UPS truck pulls up!!!

Thanks, Frogger!!! I don't tell them, but I'm going to send gifts to them for Christmas. Handy man helped me, nobody hassled me about dismantling a motorcycle on the sidewalk, Kayla was super, housekeeping was keeping an eye on the bike for me and offering suggestions for how to get home if I couldn't get the parts...really nice bunch of people!!!

Thank you MotoXotica!!

I've got thirty minutes to get out of here before noon as I don't want to wear out my welcome. In a hurry I forgot to put the spacer in...dumba$$.

High noon and I'm down the road. I go back the way I came to grab the TAT right where I left off. Cool stuff in the daylight.

I feel really great after a day of rest!!

Come with me?