User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
MacRunch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Shocks & Fork Springs

Currently reworking a '74 Yamaha TY250A and I'm going to need to replace the stock shocks. Traditional or nitrogen? Who makes good ones these days? Will an extra length change the handling much? Stock shocks measure 12-1/2" but I suspect that the springs have sagged.

How about fork springs, firm or soft? I haven't ridden trials since Sammy had hair so I'm on a steep learning curve here but it sure is fun getting it sorted out.
MacRunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,849
B&J racing and Lewisport both offer aftermarket shocks for your TY, go with the nitrogen charged shocks. Select forksprings that are for trials, not motocross use (not too stiff) and when you get them, have the forks overhauled. New slider bushings and fork seals, polish the fork tubes in a lathe with some 600 grit followed by some steel wool, fill with modern (read:slick) fork fluid to get the old forks as stiction-free as possible. They still won't work as well as modern forks, but will work better than they ever did before! Good luck!
brewtus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
MacRunch OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thanks Brewtus, I see where you are from Albuq. That's where I learned to ride. Had a 71 Montesa King Scorpion I bought from Weird Harold Goldberg and thrashed it hard across the mesa. Of course in those days Wyoming Blvd was the last street east of town and there was nothing clear to the mountains. Not that way any more! I'm familiar with B&J and I'll check on Lewisport.
MacRunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRunch
Thanks Brewtus, I see where you are from Albuq. That's where I learned to ride. Had a 71 Montesa King Scorpion I bought from Weird Harold Goldberg and thrashed it hard across the mesa. Of course in those days Wyoming Blvd was the last street east of town and there was nothing clear to the mountains. Not that way any more! I'm familiar with B&J and I'll check on Lewisport.
Just chatted with Harold a few days ago. Still riding single track in the Jemez when time allows.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Shocks and fork springs

I like the Betor nitrogen shocks in 13.5 in for the vintage bikes and run them on my Bul and KT. They are $255 from B&J Racing and come with a 70/100 spring which work pretty well for a guy between 165 and about 220. I like WES fork springs from UK. Run them in both bikes. I think RD 350 seals will work in a TY. I like modern 125-150 fork oil.
You can run more expensive gas shocks from WP, Hagon or Falcon but they are twice as much as Betors. Their biggest asset is that they can be rebuilt whereas the Betor cannot. The 13.5 in. will also keep you AHRMA legal too as long as you keep stk mounts.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote