Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #46
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 840
Cool! Thanks for the update. So is that the idle control under the fuel rail, on the outboard ends?
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #47
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
yea, those are the idle valves out there. I may just plug them up, since there isnt an easy way to actuate them independently, and it'll be much easier to run a single solenoid valve that splits air to each side, that way all the plumbing is just with vacuum lines, and the location of the solenoid valve isn't critical (although the closer to the TB's the better)
toplessFC3Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #48
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Been a while since I've done anything with the bike; i've been busy on re-doing a wiring harness for my project car, visiting for thanksgiving etc.

Anyhow, its time to tear into the stator/rotor, compare sizes and begin machining.

Pictures coming tonight
Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #49
1973cl350k5kid
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Cool to see another 73 cl like mine!! I would NEVER go this far though! I give you props! I would have just swaped the entire motor instead! I already have a big project like this anyway, putting a gsx-r motor in a custom buggy im building haha.
1973cl350k5kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #50
boredom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessFC3Sman
Been a while since I've done anything with the bike; i've been busy on re-doing a wiring harness for my project car, visiting for thanksgiving etc.

Anyhow, its time to tear into the stator/rotor, compare sizes and begin machining.

Pictures coming tonight
Your project car a second gen RX-7?
boredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #51
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Yep, an '88 convertible that I've turbo-swapped and megasquirted/tuned. Very fun car, and it's taught me a lot.

Anyway, as for the CL, I got the engine removed from the frame to begin cleaning the frame up, but didn't get very far on removing the stator since all the damn philips head screws were seized and stripping out. Time for the dremel (and replacing with allen keys or torx).
Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #52
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
...didn't get very far on removing the stator since all the damn philips head screws were seized and stripping out. Time for the dremel (and replacing with allen keys or torx).
Left handed drill bits are your friend....
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #53
boredom
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, an '88 convertible that I've turbo-swapped and megasquirted/tuned. Very fun car, and it's taught me a lot.

Anyway, as for the CL, I got the engine removed from the frame to begin cleaning the frame up, but didn't get very far on removing the stator since all the damn philips head screws were seized and stripping out. Time for the dremel (and replacing with allen keys or torx).
use an impact driver for the screws. much less messy and a lot easier.

as for you car, I know, because I lurk on RX-7 Club because of Aaron Cake...
Old 12-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #54
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

I wish I had access to an impact driver, but this is a low-budget project at the moment. I've had a bit of success by just cutting a slot into the head of the screws and using a flathead screwdriver.

Aaron's a pretty knowledgeable guy; do you know him personally?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #55
boredom
Gnarly Adventurer

Nah, I just stumbled upon his website a while ago.

As for the impact driver, I'm talking about one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93481

You hit it with a sledge hammer
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #56
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Cool2

I picked up one of those about 3 weeks ago, and its come in very handy. great for those pesky philips-head screws holding the stator cover on.

Anyhow, time for a much-delayed update... funds have been running low so things have been going slowly. It has allowed me to get a bunch of planning done though. I left off on the alternator, so lets pick up there...

The rotor from the CBR F4i has the magnets along the outside, pointing inward, as opposed to the CB/CL350, which has the magnets in the center. To get this much bigger rotor to fit, I needed to machine off the mounting ears on the inside of the stator cover. Since I no longer had any way of attaching the cover or mount for the stator, i needed to drill and tap some new holes for that in what was left of the stator cover. I ended up choosing to do them on the old mounting surface in a circular pattern, using 12 evenly spaced 6-32 bolts, since half of these would not only nicely match up with the 6 previous (and thicker) mounting flanges, but i'd need more than 6 because they are not only significantly smaller than the old screws, but they'll need to react more torque from the higher output stator. You can see all the modifications to the stator cover in the picture below.

Now, on both bikes, the one-way clutch is right underneath the rotor. The CBR's is a bit bigger though. I first tried to machine out the flange/outer bearing surface from the CBR's to be able to press the CL's fully inside of it, but it was very hardened steel, so I had to turn down the CL's outer diameter (and lose the pressed-on retaining cover for all the pins/rollers etc) so that it would press inside. The finished product is seen in the next picture, although I still need to drill/tap the CL's existing holes so I can bolt on a retaining flange on the bottom side. You need to make sure that you keep the correct side of the CL's one-way clutch down so that it'll work in the correct direction (allowing the starter to spin the engine, not the other way around).

Moving on to the engine management side of things, I got started on the signaling for engine position. I'm replacing the ignition points with a toothed wheel and variable reluctance (VR) sensor, both from a spare crank angle sensor off of my 2nd generation RX-7. I plan on using just the one 24-tooth wheel, except grinding off one of the teeth (making it a 24-1 wheel), so that the gap will represent to the megasquirt the beginning of a new cycle. This way i'll only need one VR sensor and wheel, as opposed to the two that the CAS uses in the RX-7. The VR sensor will mount up inside the old points housing to trigger off of each of the teeth.

In addition, i've ordered and recieved two coil-driver kits for the megasquirt, a used CBR wiring harness with the injector, TPS, alternator and voltage regulator/rectifier plugs, as well as some relays, and I got a new set of tires from my family for christmas!

Still to do for this spring:
Finish trigger wheel machining and mounting
Order material for stator mounting; complete stator mount machining
Machine tapered spacer w/keyway for rotor mounting
Order cyl head temp sensor/connector from VW bus/porsche 914 ($20)
Order narrowband O2 sensor and exhaust bung; weld onto exhaust
Order megasquirt MS1/V3 kit and assemble/make wiring harness
Order in-line fuel pump (since the CBR pump is in-tank, and would require a lot of unnecessary fabrication to make work) and fuel filter
Order new chain and sprockets, clutch cable, handlebars, possibly control switches.
Strip frame, swing arm etc and re-paint, inspect brakes, bearings, shocks/springs etc.
Clean out old tank, re-seal

Longer-term:
Speedo/tach from a newer bike, signaled from the MS
HID projector headlight, LED turns and tail
Disk-brake front end swap
Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #57
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 840
Sweet, thanks for the update. Looks like you have a head start on the missing tooth...
Old 01-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #58
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

yea, i chipped that when seeing if I could just pry the wheels off of the shaft... didnt quite go according to plan.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #59
roasterx
Leatherman Jedi

Oddometer: 52
Subscribed! Keep up the good work, this is exciting stuff, mostly above my knowledge.
roasterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #60
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Gotten a little bit done, but the past week's been busy with starting a new job, so work on the bike has slowed down a little bit. Anyhow, I finished machining the tapered spacer that fits over the end of the crank shaft and properly positions the new rotor, plus fits into its taper. All these tapers seemed to be approx 5* or 5 1/2* from straight; 5* measured on the lathe wasn't quite perfect, but since I made the spacer from aluminum, it'll deform enough once its torqued down that the difference in angle won't matter. Cutting the grooves for the keys into the crank shaft and rotor was a bit of a pain, using a hack-saw for the inner one so that I could feed the blade through the center of the spacer, and a dremel for the outer one since there were no problems with clearance for the tool. I forgot to take a picture of the finished product before bolting everything onto the engine... oops!

I also got a piece of aluminum piping online that is almost the perfect size for making the spacer for the end cap. I still need to machine it to trim down the outside bore the inside slightly, drill the 12 holes to bolt it down, and cut it to the right length, but even as a rough cut, it fits very well.

This next pic shows that the engine, after all is complete, will only be approximately 1 - 1 1/2" wider than stock, for a 6-7X increase in alternator output!

I also finished the machining for the cam timing wheel and sensor within the housing that used to hold the points off the end of the cam shaft. Its pretty much fully assembled now too.

I've also been working on cleaning up bits of the engine as I go along, just to make it a little more presentable (and its a lot easier to sand/brush bits when sitting around talking than to use power tools). Now that I'm starting a new job, hopefully I'll have the $ soon to buy the megasquirt engine controller and other bits for the project/mini restoration!