Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Nice find! Check out this couple who rode theirs across Canada 2 up, fully loaded with all their gear and lived to tell the story.

http://scootercanada.weebly.com/day-11.html
Old 08-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #17
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
Quite a trip across Canada. I didn't read the whole RR but looks like the C3 didn't require any repairs. Did i miss something? That is one bullet proof scooter.
I'll be looking for a deal on a used C3.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Any updates?

I'm also looking into this model and I'm wondering how it's holding up.
Most importantly to me, how's it start when it's cold outside (what's your lowest riding temp?)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #19
ronnath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_SC
Today I picked up my "new" 2009 C3 off of craigslist for $1200 (talked down from $1500).

at that price, you didn't buy it, you stole it
ronnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
I'm also looking into this model and I'm wondering how it's holding up.
Most importantly to me, how's it start when it's cold outside (what's your lowest riding temp?)
hey creep, i've had my C3 for over 4 months now, and it's been flawless. the EFI starts the engine immedietely, but the coldest i've been in is the 40's so IDK how it would do in sub-freezing temps.

i highly recommend this scooter to anyone looking for a low maintenance 50cc scoot w/lots of practicality
Dirt Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,170
What's a "liquor bike"?

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #22
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikehead
What's a "liquor bike"?
AKA liquorcycle (pronounced not like "cycle", but like "icicle" or "pickle").
North Carolina and maybe one or two other states require absolutely nothing to ride a sub-50cc scooter that doesn't break 30mph. That's no insurance, no registration, no title, no plate, and no license of any kind. So these scooters or mopeds are sometime driven by by people with revoked or suspended licenses, such as those with DWI's.

The vast majority of US states require at least a regular driver's license for a sub-50cc scooter or, if they don't, have wording in their laws that specifically disallow people with revoked licenses.

BTW, if the C3 discussed here was being used as a liquorcycle, then it was being used illegally because it can easily break 30mph.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears

BTW, if the C3 discussed here was being used as a liquorcycle, then it was being used illegally because it can easily break 30mph.
yeah, i have to admit it- the C3 is freakishly fast bike that gets to 35mph in 30 or 40 seconds- if the cops only knew what i was packing underneath that shiny plastic, they would have a coronary

honestly, get serious dude! there's very little chance that a cop is going to give a rat's ass if your riding a scooter w/o a license that breaks the 30mph limit by a few... if you a had a 2 stroke all hopped up and loud as hell and your bombing around at 45 or 50 mph, that's a different story

i spoke with several local PD officer's about this (there are a lot of scoots here because of suspended licenses) and they all said just the same. try to relax a bit... no disrespect
Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #24
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Hooker
yeah, i have to admit it- the C3 is freakishly fast bike that gets to 35mph in 30 or 40 seconds- if the cops only knew what i was packing underneath that shiny plastic, they would have a coronary

honestly, get serious dude! there's very little chance that a cop is going to give a rat's ass if your riding a scooter w/o a license that breaks the 30mph limit by a few... if you a had a 2 stroke all hopped up and loud as hell and your bombing around at 45 or 50 mph, that's a different story

i spoke with several local PD officer's about this (there are a lot of scoots here because of suspended licenses) and they all said just the same. try to relax a bit... no disrespect
Actually, I am "serious". Different states are different and people get screwed over thinking its just a 50cc. You're basically getting pissed off at me for answering a guys question...that's just stupid on your part. In fact, one reason I mentioned that the C3 was technically illegal is because it deserves some respect. I've ridden one past 40mph. Its slow getting there, but its too good to be derided as just a bike for drunks.

Your locale isn't listed in your post, but scooter crack downs have happened over the years, even in places like NC with the least of enforcement ( http://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/disc...171096/171028/ ). Sometimes the cops decide--whether out of specific complaints, new training, politics, or money--to enforce preciously unenforced laws.

You seem to have a decent relationship with your local fuzz, but that doesn't mean everyone does or that you wouldn't get popped by one.

Do a little searching of moped and 50cc scooter forums and you'll find that people do get pulled over for too fast on a 50. But you could also get tapped for other things and then screwed for riding dirty. I personally know several scooterists who were pulled over because they didn't have plates. In one case the lack of plate was just a reason to hassle a scooterist and in another the police didn't know that the law allowed people to ride w/o plates or with just a regular license instead of a moto endorsement. Both had to fight things out in court and one actually lost because they got called on the speed limit/hp limits in court.

Around my way the crack down on DWI's doesn't let the drunks have an out with scooters. I fully agree with this. Your state may be different (realize that its one of very few if it is) and you seem to be bragging that your local cops are lax in enforcement. Frankly, one reason my state has such a horrible DWI problem is because the "good ol' boy" network cut so many drunks so much slack for so many decades.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #25
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears

Around my way the crack down on DWI's doesn't let the drunks have an out with scooters. I fully agree with this. Your state may be different (realize that its one of very few if it is) and you seem to be bragging that your local cops are lax in enforcement. Frankly, one reason my state has such a horrible DWI problem is because the "good ol' boy" network cut so many drunks so much slack for so many decades.
approachbears, i apologize to you if i came off as attacking your stance. you were being honest regarding the letter of the law- i go by spirit of the law hoping people will use common sense judgement. if someone loses their license for whatever reason, but they are fortunate enough to be able to ride a 50cc bike legally as long as the bike does not go past 30mph. they go down and buy a Ruckus, Zuma, or C3- they all go over 30- (mine reads 40 but it's more like 35). i would really like to think a cop will not bust someone for riding 5 over the speed limit just like i don't think someone going60 in a 55 should get a ticket.

i was not bragging about my local PD- i was simply saying they thought it was a waste of time to bust somebody for this, and they thought (hope) a judge would feel the same way- completely trivial issue

and lastly, a PD being lax about people driving drunk is a WHOLE lot different then being lax on a scooters breaking the limit by a few mph

in the end, i don't have any problems with what you posted- i just meant that if your over the speed limit by 5 or so mph, i highly doubt you will get hassled by 5-0 for it- that is if your not being a jackass
Old 11-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #26
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Hooker
approachbears, i apologize to you if i came off as attacking your stance. you were being honest regarding the letter of the law- i go by spirit of the law hoping people will use common sense judgement. if someone loses their license for whatever reason, but they are fortunate enough to be able to ride a 50cc bike legally as long as the bike does not go past 30mph. they go down and buy a Ruckus, Zuma, or C3- they all go over 30- (mine reads 40 but it's more like 35). i would really like to think a cop will not bust someone for riding 5 over the speed limit just like i don't think someone going60 in a 55 should get a ticket.

i was not bragging about my local PD- i was simply saying they thought it was a waste of time to bust somebody for this, and they thought (hope) a judge would feel the same way- completely trivial issue

and lastly, a PD being lax about people driving drunk is a WHOLE lot different then being lax on a scooters breaking the limit by a few mph

in the end, i don't have any problems with what you posted- i just meant that if your over the speed limit by 5 or so mph, i highly doubt you will get hassled by 5-0 for it- that is if your not being a jackass
Ok, no problems between us.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #27
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Aaaaah, Lawsy - I did it, I got one, and got it titled, and been whippin' around three days 'pon it now, and I'm thinking, 'Oh, crap, never gonna get away with this long-term; I needta get a plate.'

Following the '08 scooter explosion, eyebrows of the local Authorities began going up as to actual speed. Thousands in this area cannot afford cars, and folks are beginning to use scoots as is done in the 'developing' world and Europe: all-weather, year-round transport. Seeing plenty of untagged 49cc scoots on the roads late at night - restaurants KPs, office cleaners going home, in the rain, in the cold, half-helmets, light jackets.

The state code was tweaked last year to include an "over 35mph" provision to exclude scoots exempted from registration & insurance. There is revenue to be gained, money to be made, and a 49cc scoot moving over 35 is low-hanging fruit. The police are busy, to be sure, and no doubt enforcement is spotty, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that change.

In the meantime...