Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #31
hb7
moto-science

Oddometer: 301
I can't wait to see what the traffic splitting is like.....on the MP3 400-500.
I would replace the mirrors with KTM Folding mirrors.

Since my last horrible tank slapper freeway accident, I 'm looking for a motorcycle/scooter which can't be provoked into a tank slapper.
I'm wondering if the MP3 is immune to tank slappers.
hb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #32
rhinoWERX OP
Crikey mate!

Oddometer: 844
Thumb

So weather here in SoCal has been pretty crapy all week - cold and rainy - and I've been too wimpy to ride it (well, more to the point, I don't have good wet weather gear), but I did really want to ride it one day in the rain, so I rode to work last Friday. It wasn't exactly torrential downpours, but it was raining and road were wet.

Well it didn't take long to recognize the additional traction and to feel comfortable enough to get out of the slow lane and move over with the big boys. Of course, one of my biggest concerns about riding in the rain - especially here in LA where we average 12 days of rain a year - is feeling like a bowling pin amongst other drivers that don't know how to drive in the wet

For those of you that are local - I went from my office I Culver City, to a function downtown (via the 10). From there I headed back to Long Beach taking Alameda - a road that scares me in dry conditions. The scoot handled great I was cold, wet, but felt totally relaxed and in control.

As for lane spitting; I approach it a little differently on this thing. The scoot is a tad wider than your average UJM or sport bike, and of course, it doesn't exactly have point and shoot capabilities. I use more of the 'frogger' approach to splitting, i.e. look for the gaps and weave through traffic.

It's an adjustment that makes sense and is fairly natural, that allows me to still shave a bunch of time commuting to work. Of course I also need to be more conscious of keeping to the center/left when not splitting, and checking my mirrors before I do - for sport bike rides coming up from behind.

In a comedy of errors, I received the windshield without the mounting bracket and the top box without the base plate - both should be arriving sometime next week.

Oh, and it looks like the weather is finally starting to clear up outside

Cheers,
-Jack
IBA #30079
rhinoWERX is offline   Reply With Quote