User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
bigdon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
50 cc Ruckus

I am thinking about buying a 50 cc ruckus scooter. I am just looking for something for the wife and grandkids to play on. We have plenty of room to ride ,either in pasture or back county roads.
What do I need to know about them?
What would a good used one cost?

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
totalruckus.com

Shop around college campuses for the best buy, I have yet to find one that I want to plunk down $1600+ for used.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
zuma

yamaha has made the Zuma for some time, ostensibly dual purpose, it has fatter wheels and more suspension than a Yamaha Razz. You should be able to score one pretty reasonably if you look around on craigslist
scott
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
A Ruckus should be perfect for the family. No plastic bodywork. Wide wheels and not too overpowering in the acceleration department.

I know a guy who bought his kid one and he bops around the scooter rallies and campgrounds on one just fine - and he's small for his age. I've ridden it and I'm 6'3" and it's not too cramped also.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,697
Up for Sale

Here's my little Ruckus up for sale. Its a super fun little bike to ride, great for around town or camping. I did a little modifying to mine.. extended and lowered.. its sooo fun to ride...

Original:

Mine:

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon
...What do I need to know about them?
What would a good used one cost?
1. Its a Honda, so it'll run 15,000-20,000 miles no problem as long as you change the oil and air filter occasionally. Don't be afraid of 2,000 or 3,000 or more miles on a used one if the owner changed the oil now and then.
2. Its a Honda, so it'll cost more used than random Chinese stuff or even a Yamaha Zuma.
3. The stock rear shock is super soft. $50-$75 from numerous places online and you'll have a much, much better ride. Check out battlescotter.com, bowlsla.com, ebay, etc...
4. Look for a '06 or newer. '05 and older are slower (mid to upper 30's top speed vs. 41-42mph top).
5. There's more custom parts available for the Ruckus than most any other scooter out there. So you can keep it stock (nothing wrong with that) or you can go completely crazy with it.
6. Used prices really depend on the area you're in. But they are cheaper now than a year or two ago when gas was crazy high. You can find plenty around the country on Craigslist, etc... in the $1200-$1600 range for a few years old in decent condition.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Open that wallet

One thing to remember about the Ruckus is that you give up the advantages of a scooter in terms of carrying things either in front of or under the seat. And it is does not allow you to carry a passenger.

Another problem I have encountered is that Honda does not sell a lot of the components that fail as entire units, but make you purchase the individual components and assemble them. Many multi-line mechanics do not like Honda for this reason.

Try pricing out an entire clutch and bell for a Ruckus. This is a common replacement item.

Most of the units I see that have broken clutch shoes are Hondas. I just replaced a clutch, bell and variator in a Ruckus, because the shoes had worn down to nothing and one broke on a scooter with less than 3,000 miles, and it was about three times more than it would have cost to replace these parts on a Yamaha.
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC
One thing to remember about the Ruckus is that you give up the advantages of a scooter in terms of carrying things either in front of or under the seat. And it is does not allow you to carry a passenger...
The Ruckus isn't perfect, but people repeat this line on the internet seemingly without experience with actual loads. I've yet to meet a Ruckus rider in person who didn't completely disagree that you give up the advantages of a scooter. The Ruckus actually holds more than similar classed scooters. The Ruckus doesn't have lockable storage (other than a helmet lock or if you buy the aftermarket seat box), but its better storage in terms of actual load. Bungee cords are the scooterist's friend!

-18 packs (not just 12 packs) of beer/pop fit nicely and completely out of the way under the seat. That's just not possible with other small-sized scooters with enclosed storage.
-The exposed Ruckus seat frame allows objects to extend out and fit better. I've carried canoe paddles and eight foot 2x4's with no problem. Slide them under the seat from the back and long/bulky items never interfere with your riding. A friend riding his Zuma resorted to strapping the canoe paddles either across the handlebars (wide load) or hanging off the side of the scooter (had to use his legs to keep them in place, not too elegant) or even sitting on them (uncomfortable ride once things got bumpy). Similarly, my laptop bag is too large to fit under the seat of a Zuma or C3, but its slides in from the side on the Ruckus.
-The exposed frame is an excellent attachment point. Bicycle bottle frames bolt on easy for drink holders and I know of two people who mounted gun scabbards to the exposed frame to turn it into a hunting vehicle. You can attach cords to solid frame all along the scooter and not worry about hooking a bungee cord just to the plastic body like you do with other scooters.
-The floorboard for your feet is flat (unlike the Yamaha C3 or other scooters with a hump in the floorboard), so you can rest large items easy. The lack of hump makes it easy to carry a case of bottles or a 30 pack of cans.
-There's no grocery bag hook that comes standard on Vespas, but its simple to mount one on the battery box. Its a 2 dollar modification--$1.50 for a closet hook and 50cents for a bolt and washer at the hardware store.
-The front rack above the headlights is surprisingly useful and is more useful than the aftermarket, glove box/basket that Honda sells for the Metro. You're not going to strap on tons of weight on the front rack, but I've attached sleeping bags, tents, mini-kegs, gas cans, and 2 liter bottles with no problems. And bicycle baskets or handlebar bags fit there just about perfect.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Im' sold now

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears

-18 packs (not just 12 packs) of beer fit nicely
-The floorboard for your feet is flat... The lack of hump makes it easy to carry a case of bottles or a 30 pack of cans.
-There's no grocery bag hook that comes standard on Vespas, but its simple to mount one on the battery box.
Okay, you sold me. I did once stack four 24 can cases of beer on the floorboard of a zuma, but the handling was affected and there was little room for my feet.

As far as the grocery bag hooks, that seems to be an American market thing by the Japanese manufacturers. In other countries, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki include the hooks on their stock bikes. I do not know if the Zoomer has one though.

Now if I could just find a nice Zoomer 2T...
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
Lowcountry Thumper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I have a 2007 ruckus that I bought new in May '07. I currently have 10,800 miles on it, and I have yet to have a single problem with it. It runs as good as it did the day I bought it. You can carry a ton of stuff with it, contrary to what others say. I have had as many as six to eight bags of groceries in the floorboard/under the seat before. I have carried cases of beer on it, I bought a leaf blower at Lowe's once and carried that (in the box) on it. It is a very versatile vehicle, and I plan on keeping mine forever. If you do buy a used one, make sure it is '06 or newer. The early rucks would only do 35mph. In '06, Honda bumped up the rev-limiter to allow the ruck to hit about 43mph. Gas mileage was unaffected, and I regularly get 100mpg or better, and I ride everywhere with the throttle wide-open. Good luck to you, you won't regret getting a ruckus. It is a quality scooter. I painted mine a flat-green color, and I get comments and looks everywhere I go on it.

Lowcountry Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
cvlighthouse
keep it in your pants!

Oddometer: 824
Get this!

I once hauled a full bag of fresh veggies from my parents garden under the seat, an 18 pack of beer, a 6' redwood 4x4 strapped to the back, 2 sacks of 50lb readymix cement (I was building a fence), and a bag of asphalt patch (the lumber yard was giving it away because of a torn bag.) I wouldn't recommend doing this because it put flat spots on the rollers, but I had new Polini rollers and a variator waiting to go in. Scooter still runs great!

Ditto everything that approachbears said!

In addition, they need the air filter changed a lot, Home Depot even sells the cheap $5 Brigs & Stratton replacements.
....look for a blue Samurai with a crazy gringo holding a big #167 sign! *No animals were harmed during the making of this post...
cvlighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
JEDI 2.0
Not From Star Wars

Oddometer: 81
Actually, one of the many aftermarket parts available for the Ruckus is an underseat-storage compartment, & I believe it's lockable. The scooter looks much better without it, though.

If you're gonna haul stuff on a scooter, best thing is to get an oversized backpack & carry loads that willl fit within that backpack.

I'd say the Ruckus is a great off-road scooter, & the chunky Bopper tires will help keep you on top of the mud where a normal skinny scooter tire would just bury itself into the mud. The bare-minimal styling also makes it easy to clean AND maintain.
JEDI 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
Dano 407
One Man Wolfpack

Oddometer: 6,340
I'll sell you a well farkled Red one for $500.

Central Ca.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
1. Its a Honda, so it'll run 15,000-20,000 miles no problem as long as you change the oil and air filter occasionally. Don't be afraid of 2,000 or 3,000 or more miles on a used one if the owner changed the oil now and then.
2. Its a Honda, so it'll cost more used than random Chinese stuff or even a Yamaha Zuma.
3. The stock rear shock is super soft. $50-$75 from numerous places online and you'll have a much, much better ride. Check out battlescotter.com, bowlsla.com, ebay, etc...
4. Look for a '06 or newer. '05 and older are slower (mid to upper 30's top speed vs. 41-42mph top).
5. There's more custom parts available for the Ruckus than most any other scooter out there. So you can keep it stock (nothing wrong with that) or you can go completely crazy with it.
6. Used prices really depend on the area you're in. But they are cheaper now than a year or two ago when gas was crazy high. You can find plenty around the country on Craigslist, etc... in the $1200-$1600 range for a few years old in decent condition.

I was at the dealer yesterday and they are selling 09 Ruckus for $1799 plus tax. They had quite a few around. I will be getting one after the holiday bills are paid.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote