Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #181
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
My wife and I have set a date of the fall of 2011 to just leave. We both want to travel and live outside the US for a while. You really thing there is a clientel for that sort of work...??
Yep.
You're not talking about the KLR crowd here. You're talking about the same people who pay 20k for an African hunt or even more to backpack Patagonia.
The trick is to crack into that social strata. These people are power player business types usually, so you can't bs your way into a position. Either you can do it or you can't.
If you can, then you can make a pretty good income guiding people who can and do believe that a good guide is worth paying for and worth paying well. Word of mouth is all you need at that point.

I'm a dick and don't like people on vacation and their never ending lists of wants, or I'd get in on it.
I spend a lot of time backpacking and riding and run into these people with some frequency. They're aware that good help is hard to find and won't hesitate if you've got the goods.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #182
Peckhammer
peckhammer.blip.tv

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumfuzzle
Lastly, if you do go, I think you'll find that your priorities change rather quickly and that even if you were to move back to the States you would live much more cheaply.
Ah... the truth finally spoken. I've been puzzling through most of this thread as to what is costing people so much money that they want to move out of the country or live in a converted school bus. If it's for the adventure, I get that. If it's to save money, picture a dumb look on my face, which is kind of typical actually.

Our housing expenses -- space, taxes, insurance and utilities are $400/month. We live in a condo in Seattle (Queen Ann). Our largest expense after housing is food, and then toys (motorcycles, camera gear, guitars, recording equipment). And we still have enough money left over to save 50% of our gross income. I don't want to send this thread over a tangential cliff, so just let me say that downsizing and fairly simple living can afford you a decent life in America, or elsewhere.
Peckhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #183
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peckhammer

I don't want to send this thread over a tangential cliff, so just let me say that downsizing and fairly simple living can afford you a decent life in America, or elsewhere.
If it wasn't for our student loans, our monthly expenses wouldn't be $1k a month, and we rent.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #184
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
If it wasn't for our student loans, our monthly expenses wouldn't be $1k a month, and we rent.
When Sallie Mae implodes, your student loans will be nil.

It's true that one can live on the cheap in the US if willing to live less swankily.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #185
Mikey113
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Ah... the truth finally spoken. I've been puzzling through most of this thread as to what is costing people so much money that they want to move out of the country or live in a converted school bus. If it's for the adventure, I get that. If it's to save money, picture a dumb look on my face, which is kind of typical actually.

Our housing expenses -- space, taxes, insurance and utilities are $400/month. We live in a condo in Seattle (Queen Ann). Our largest expense after housing is food, and then toys (motorcycles, camera gear, guitars, recording equipment). And we still have enough money left over to save 50% of our gross income. I don't want to send this thread over a tangential cliff, so just let me say that downsizing and fairly simple living can afford you a decent life in America, or elsewhere.
Not to be a contrarian, but I think it depends on timing (time and space, haha). I don't know if you own or rent but $400 anywhere let alone Seattle seems like a deal. Maybe you got into that payment 20 years ago IDK. I am 32, live in northern California and bought a house at the wrong time. $200k for a 1200 sq foot home in 2005. If I had bought 10 years earlier or today, it'd be a lot less. And as far as $400 a month goes, that it what my mother pays for space rent at a trailer park. To my knowledge not a lot of people can buy or rent on the west coast for $400 per month (without a substantial down payment for a homeowner). My $.02
Mikey113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #186
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Here I am, camped out at the Progreso border crossing last year.
Puts a whole new meaning into camping out.
That is some rig.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:21 AM   #187
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder
Puts a whole new meaning into camping out.
That is some rig.

Thanks Amigo!

It's an oldie but a goodie (the best of the best, $380K or so in 1982) and we bought it for a song a few years ago, relatively speaking. Two years of tinkering and pretty much everything works now and she's super livable.

There are some RV threads around here but I will have to say one thing. Both my girlfriend and myself, once exposed to the RV lifestyle, love it. I am getting ready to go back to working professionally in a few days and we agreed tonight that we wouldn't buy or lease a house but would continue to live in and maintain the Bluebird.

I am intrigued with the way this thread has sorta gone from being an ex-pat thread to a motorhome thread. As a now-deceased friend of mine used to say after a few beers, "it's all good."

I'm planning to hit some Mexican RV areas this year and to scout them out. Will pass along what I find out. But I leave y'all with these thoughts, which are some RV parks in an area called the Costa Esmeralda that I stumbled on a few months ago between Tampico and Veracruz. The riding south of Tampico was brutal but damn ... once I got down there the scenery was beautiful!

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:10 AM   #188
Peckhammer
peckhammer.blip.tv

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey113
I don't know if you own or rent but $400 anywhere let alone Seattle seems like a deal. To my knowledge not a lot of people can buy or rent on the west coast for $400 per month (without a substantial down payment for a homeowner).
Fair enough. We own. The $400 is for condo dues, utilities, insurance, and taxes. Getting there required discipline, pragmatism, and forgoing the swanky life style I've seen some other people around us indulge in. When we had a mortgage payment, we structured the purchase around the idea that we should be able to continue to maintain the monthly payments and staple expenses even if we were forced to work for minimum wage. And since we were fortunate enough to get decent jobs, we paid that mortgage off in six years.

Ultimately, this approach is not much different than the original sentiments expressed in this thread: living cheap after getting laid off. The only difference is that we lived cheap in case we ever got laid off -- and the results have been liberating in much the same way that living in a RV and boondocking on BLM land may be.
Peckhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #189
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
Well I'm a worker bee for 5 more years at least and I'll never take up the full timer life style or the expat gig. My dear wife would never go for it. However, I love to read John's RV and travel posts. Makes me want a bird and I did read alot of the bird stuff after that on the web. I have also very much enjoyed the Bumfuzzle adventures. I love you two. One lesson and you take off on that trip? Holy moly! I'm just up to the late summer 04 but I'm hooked. Congrats on the baby.

I guess the main thing that I want to say, is how much I appreciate when people share a genuine view into their world on this site. I learn alot and have a great time reading. I likely won't do it but it's nice to see so many free range chickens out there ambling around...and who knows, right?

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #190
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
I guess the main thing that I want to say, is how much I appreciate when people share a genuine view into their world on this site. I learn alot and have a great time reading. I likely won't do it but it's nice to see so many free range chickens out there ambling around...and who knows, right?

Indeed!
Old 12-31-2009, 08:13 AM   #191
ywr969
Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer: 657
Thumb

Quote:
Fair enough. We own. The $400 is for condo dues, utilities, insurance, and taxes. Getting there required discipline, pragmatism, and forgoing the swanky life style I've seen some other people around us indulge in. When we had a mortgage payment, we structured the purchase around the idea that we should be able to continue to maintain the monthly payments and staple expenses even if we were forced to work for minimum wage. And since we were fortunate enough to get decent jobs, we paid that mortgage off in six years.
good on ya, lad!
we also own our home outright, in much the same way you own yours.
i would like to rent it out & live in the RV, but convincing my wife of that plan...
let's just say i have a ways to go.

Quote:
Ultimately, this approach is not much different than the original sentiments expressed in this thread: living cheap after getting laid off. The only difference is that we lived cheap in case we ever got laid off -- and the results have been liberating in much the same way that living in a RV and boondocking on BLM land may be.
exactly!

2005 Husqvarna TE-510
"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
ywr969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 AM   #192
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
I really hate student loans as well, WTF does a 20yr old know about debt???

I love the old saying, your financing your future and opening dreams with your education....BS, that's what I got, and thats what my degree is.

Education open your eyes up to the wonders of the world, then slams it shut when you graduate 40k in the hole.

November 2011, I will be leaving. If my student debt is paid, good, if not, let em find me
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 AM   #193
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer

My pleasure Amigo! I agree ... this site has some great viewpoints and some interesting adventurers.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:00 PM   #194
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
I really hate student loans as well, WTF does a 20yr old know about debt???

I love the old saying, your financing your future and opening dreams with your education....BS, that's what I got, and thats what my degree is.

Education open your eyes up to the wonders of the world, then slams it shut when you graduate 40k in the hole.

November 2011, I will be leaving. If my student debt is paid, good, if not, let em find me
Yeah, Milady drank the Ivy League cool-ade.

I still owe about 10k on my loans but now that I married my love, our total student loan dept is over 200k.
Try getting a job to pay Those in this market.

We have discussed the "dropping out" idea and just getting a nice camp trailer for behind my bike and a smaller Uni for hers.

Let them keep our tax return money for the rest of our life.

We are working hard to get our stuff down to a size that will Fit into a small one bedroom and the front of a garage w/car inside. so if we Do drop out or have that option, we will not have much left to give up.

Call it Pre-planning.

Still not to sure what to do about my Big tool box though. I make some real money with those tools, but it weighs more than three of my bikes.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #195
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Still not to sure what to do about my Big tool box though. I make some real money with those tools, but it weighs more than three of my bikes.

When you come up with a solution, then let the rest of us know.

I've looked at various solutions to the Mobile Workshop Issue, from ISO containers to drawing up plans for a form-fitting modular workshop that would have fit on my existing 26 ft. trailer.

Right now I'm getting quotes on a more or less conventional 24 ft. trailer that I plan to put workbenches and shelving into.