User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #16
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 506
Two strokes love the cold.
Two great choices would be the Zuma and the Eton Beamer. Both have those big 10 inch tires, carry two people and can run with the Huskies.

If you are fat, the Beamer is not going to be a good choice though, because it doesn't have the travel of the Zuma.

I just put a $600 ECU in a one year old C3, and have horror stories about the Ruckus electronics.

KISS...
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #17
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC
Two strokes love the cold.
Two great choices would be the Zuma and the Eton Beamer. Both have those big 10 inch tires, carry two people and can run with the Huskies.

If you are fat, the Beamer is not going to be a good choice though, because it doesn't have the travel of the Zuma.

I just put a $600 ECU in a one year old C3, and have horror stories about the Ruckus electronics.

KISS...
I'm interested in your Ruckus electronics horror stories. The only ones I know are people who started swapping things out. What happened for you?
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #18
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat
Locally a Roketa 50 can be had for $495--cheap enough that you could ride it all winter, sell it in the spring and not have to worry about the rust/corrosion it would have. If gas goes back to $4+ a gallon that's what I'll be riding.
That's genius. You can also find Roketa with large cc engines not much above that price point if you are handy getting things to work better.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #19
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPED MEDIC
Eton Beamer
Some Eton models also feature a manual cable-operated choke, which would be an asset for cold-temperature engine warm-ups.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:24 PM   #20
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
I'm interested in your Ruckus electronics horror stories. The only ones I know are people who started swapping things out. What happened for you?
No answers???????????
ENGINE CONTROL UNIT ASSY 1 $306.67

Barnone screwed with this post 11-24-2009 at 12:31 PM
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #21
rivercreep OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Just found a great deal.

An 09 125 Zuma for $2,200 and with the Yamaha $300.00 cash back, I could get the windshield and rack for less than a new c3. Also noticed it's not really much heavier either.
I might just have get me one now.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #22
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,228
FWIW I've got a Kymco Super 9 (liquid cooled 2 stroke) that I used for commuting year round. It rarely got below 20 around here but I commuted during the night shift during the winter and it was cold enough for me.

The only thing I had to do was give it a bit more warm-up time so it wouldn't stumble or bog during my first mad dash across the first big intersection, so I just got into a ritual of starting it then pulling on all my gear so it had at least a minute or two.

My first real bike was a CL360 that I bought in the dead of winter in Alaska and used it for commuting (young and stupid, but hey....). Dragged my feet a lot. Never dropped it once in all that snow...well, okay, maybe once. Go figure. Angels look after dumb kids I suppose.

Good luck. Let us know what you get! And take pics!

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #23
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 506
Great Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
FWIW I've got a Kymco Super 9 (liquid cooled 2 stroke) that I used for commuting year round. It rarely got below 20 around here but I commuted during the night shift during the winter and it was cold enough for me.
That is a great scooter. Everytime someone gets near me with one, I try to buy it.So far no takers...
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #24
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
Ok, so Ihave a perfectly good car to commute with in the winter and a DR650 to boot that also runs great but, here's my situation.

The Car sucks because it's a car. (it's that simple!)
The DR650 is new and hasn't been exposed to Pa.'s salty slush roads yet and I'd like to keep it that way to keep her pretty (even if she is covered in mud 50% of the time)(doesn't rust and pit like salt, either)

I'm considering a 50CC scooter (all back roads to travel to work) due to their cheapness and wouldn't mind sacrificing it to the Salt. Also, since aerostitch has screw in tire studs, I wouldn't have to experiment with the DR. This would hardly be my first winter commuting on two wheels, just the first one with studded tires.

What I'm more concerned about than anything is (out of the models I'm looking at), which engine would be easy to get going in super cold temps.
1. Honda Ruckus = 4 stroke with carb
2. Yamaha Zuma = Two stroke with carb and direct oil injection.
3. Yamaha C3 = 4 Stroke with F.I. (this would seem like the obvious choice although I'm looking for real life experiences)

While I'm waiting for replies (thanks in advance for your input) I'll be searching the web for various reviews but, I'm not expecting much since there aren't that many like minded lunatics out there and I know most of them are HERE!

Thanks!
James
Yamaha Vino. Something older than 2004
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #25
rivercreep OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
I should close this thread!

Thanks for all the input Gang!

Bought an 09 Yamaha Zuma 125 (FI and the price was a deal closer!).
Actually bought it for the Girlfriend to ride this spring but it's sharing transportation duties for me with the DR untill it gets warmer.
Pretty practical vehicle for sure.
I'm actually glad we went with a 125 as I see now how a 50CC would not have weighed much less and the power diff would have been unbearable.

Best wishes for the New Year!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #26
valentine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by windburn
I had a Honda 90 in 1970 and I was attending college in the Rockies. It was cold and snow covered in the winter and I would ride to college with my feet sliding along the street. I started work as a 4am janitor on campus and I would slide along under the street lights in the snow and Ice. You just do what you can with what you've got. I was so poor, It was 25 cents for hot cracked wheat . Lunch was a 25 cent salad. at night I worked in a sub sandwich shop. Work ,school work, home work and bed. The girls took a liking to me or concern for my life and would invite me to dinner on occasion. I could not have made it without that old Honda. and of course Gayla and Annie.
X2 on the old Honda CT90.

I was riding mine to work in December at -2F. I kept it parked outside, with no cover. All I'd have to do is choke it and it would start by the second or third kick. They are great bikes.

I just took it out this week in 4" of snow. It was incredible.

valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #27
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,559
My wife rode a Honda 49cc Metro scooter for a few years. I bought a Ruckus and messed around with it for a while.Her Metro never gave a hint of a problem.It felt to cramped for me to ride it though.

In the crappy winter weather, I commute on my workhorse 2007 Yamaha XT225. Darn thing gets great gas mileage, actually about as good as the Ruckus, but will easily cruise at 50-60 mph. I got tired of the Ruckus doing 20mph up hills. I'll stay with my motorcycles.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
techguy
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 845
Sounds fun to me!

I like the Ruckus as there are things to you get for them like the one in approachbears posting. The R's open design and lack of plastic will serve you will if you do lay it down in the snow or dirt. It has a really low seat. You should be able to get out your "foot skis" out easy. The R is pretty 'foot forward' and does not have pegs under your butt for balance while standing and sliding but you could weld on some folding pegs.

The C3 with it's FI makes for easier starts but it has a lot of required tupperware to mess up in a lay-down.

You can get studded tires from Heidenau and Sava but i am not sure they come in the the sizes you need. I have read scooter studded tires are not too diffcult to find from European makers.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #29
pennintj
Down & Dirty Mechanic

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep
What I'm more concerned about than anything is (out of the models I'm looking at), which engine would be easy to get going in super cold temps.
1. Honda Ruckus = 4 stroke with carb
2. Yamaha Zuma = Two stroke with carb and direct oil injection.
3. Yamaha C3 = 4 Stroke with F.I. (this would seem like the obvious choice although I'm looking for real life experiences)

While I'm waiting for replies (thanks in advance for your input) I'll be searching the web for various reviews but, I'm not expecting much since there aren't that many like minded lunatics out there and I know most of them are HERE!

Thanks!
James
Here's your cold weather startup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apTz_IBDiFw
Genuine Rattler 110 / PGO PMX 110 with "Slider" attached

My advice: Ride over to MPG Motors in Sellersville
(http://www.mpgmotors.com) and have a look around.

SYM and Genuine (PGO) build damn fine bikes.

If you aren't handy with a multimeter, stay away from Roketa.

If you *want* an inexpensive, Chinese scooter, look at the ScootDawg website and see what people are actually buying:

http://www.scootdawg.com

Personally, on the cheap I'd recommend something from the CFMoto, ZNen, or QuiaJiang factories...or: CFMoto, Flyscooter, Benelli/Andretti.

-=Tom

pennintj screwed with this post 01-04-2010 at 11:42 AM
pennintj is offline   Reply With Quote