User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
The KTM300 Thread

What can you tell me about this bike? I am looking at one for single track and fireroading - want to make it street legal. Who on here is riding one and what has been your experience?
GasGas300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
light and fast

Great bike and it's mild to wild depending on the right wrist. If you're not used to 2 strokes, put the mild power valve spring in which will make the "hit" come on later in the rpm range...that will keep you from looping it on the first day like I did. Tons of power, and it tractors at a low rpm through mud and any terrain you choose. The xc-w models are a wide range, have single chamber forks for enduro and cc racing and are good for fire road stuff too. The xc is a racing / track bike with dual chamber forks for big landings...Both are great bikes and you can do anything on the planet with them...except go on the highway. I've heard of guys getting it past inspections and drive em on the road but why? Once you are up in the rpm range, it's wild and not smooth at all.

rip it

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker
Great bike and it's mild to wild depending on the right wrist. If you're not used to 2 strokes, put the mild power valve spring in which will make the "hit" come on later in the rpm range...that will keep you from looping it on the first day like I did...
+1000

I have an '09 300 XC-W, and that son-of-a-bitch almost killed me three weeks ago. That machine is no joke, and all business.

For the record, I am no "Bubba" Stewart. However, I am not a noob, either. I started riding dirt when I was 12 years old (39 now), have a good amount of 2-stroke experience, and have owned all types of bikes (Gen I. Hayabusa and Honda CR500, to name a couple).

If you choose to buy one, I would recommend (like heetseeker) that you use the auxiliary spring and ignition curve (connection) to tone it down on your first few outings (if you're not used to 2-strokes). I think it would be better for you to walk away from your first ride (a little disappointed), than to be airlifted away (unconscious).

With that out of the way, I will tell you that I absolutely love mine. Like heetseeker posted, it's a friggin' tractor. And, the power is very addictive. As far as the street-legal thing, I don't know...I bought mine strictly for dirt duty.

Taking all the information (that you gave) into account, I think you'd prefer the suspension and wide-ratio gearbox of the XC-W to the suspension and gearbox of the XC.

In my very humble opinion, if you want one, get one. I think you will enjoy it.

Good Luck.

Kill The Motorcyclist...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 01-12-2010 at 12:52 AM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Great info -thanks. I am not looking for a bike to do much street riding, but if I need to duck into town to fuel up, I don't want to worry about ditching the cops. I have a 690r for longer trips, but it is just a little too heavy for tough single track riding.

I see lots of nice protection items for this bike - Hyde Racing makes a combination pipe/skid plate. It is plastic, but looks real nice - do you have any experience with it?

Sounds like a lot of bike - I did survive owning a TM400 Cyclone and a 450 Maico. My last 2-stroke was a KX500. I like the light weight of a 2 stroke, and am looking forward to one with a modern suspension
GasGas300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
EXC 300 Dual sport.

I can tell you I'd love to have the street legal package they sell across the pond.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Keep it going, anyone?...

GasGas300,

I have not had any experience with the Hyde Racing piece that you mentioned.

By the way, if you liked your KX, you will love this BEAST.

Hey guys,

On a second note...

Since GasGas named this thread "The KTM300 Thread", would y'all be interested in trying to keep it going?...pictures...questions...the 300 "go-to" place for this forum.

I'd try my best to do my part...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 01-12-2010 at 07:18 PM
Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,592
Best dirt bike I've ever owned. Period. Mine is plated with a Rekluse.
My friends call it a cheater bike because it works so well.
'09300XCWe
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
zigman
Working for the man

Oddometer: 159
I agree with the others. I love mine, especially now that I have a Rekluse on it.

I bought mine new in 2005, got it plated, and have driven it thousands of miles on everything from enduros to dual sport events with long road stretches. As long as you jet it accordingly, it will do anything.
zigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
[poser]
the un-original

Oddometer: 77
you guys definately need to post some pics! I'm selling my XR400 and I'm pretty sure I want to try out the ktm 300, or the 250 exc.

you guys who ride street, what do you do for fueling up on the go? Do you carry a bottle of premis, or several small containers with just enough for 1 gallon?
-Banksy
[poser] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
zigman
Working for the man

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by [poser]
you guys definately need to post some pics! I'm selling my XR400 and I'm pretty sure I want to try out the ktm 300, or the 250 exc.

you guys who ride street, what do you do for fueling up on the go? Do you carry a bottle of premis, or several small containers with just enough for 1 gallon?
I just carry some small bottles of oil with me, pre-measured for 1&2 gallon increments
zigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
KTM690Dog
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
I can tell you I'd love to have the street legal package they sell across the pond.
My father-in law rides an older KTM 300. He's a madman at 79 but has slowed down enough in the last couple of years that I able to just keep up with on my 690e.

He is looking for a new 300 with electric start and wants to get it street legal in Colorado or Arizona. Can this be done in either state?

Thanks
73 Yam 250 Enduro
69 Harley 350 Sprint
66 Hon CB160
KTM690Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Cliff-77
Lost Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Ktm300

Great machine,been riding 95exc300 for yrs.no prob.what so ever,it's been the best bike outa all 25 i have had in 40+yrs of riding&would be a blast on the rd.
Cliff-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,538
Yep. I have an 05. Was thinking about selling and getting a new one. But I love the 05's 36" seat height. I am planning on having the suspension revavled, and getting a rekluse.

The last two stroke dirt bike I owned was a KX500, and I really don't think there is a huge difference in the power between the two.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Can someone explain the models to me?
I see EXC, XC, W, I am confused.
For certain legal reasons I need to find an "EXC". What was the last year KTM referred to the 300 as an "EXC"?
ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130
Can someone explain the models to me?
I see EXC, XC, W, I am confused.
For certain legal reasons I need to find an "EXC". What was the last year KTM referred to the 300 as an "EXC"?
ac
I"m sure that someone with a lot more knowledge than me will chime-in. But, just to get you going...

In the States, I believe that there are only two models offered (in terms of the 300)...the "XC" and "XC-W". Both are Cross-country/Offroad/Enduro competition motorcycles. However, it is my understanding that the XC is geared and suspended along the lines of a Motocross/Supercross bike. The XC-W has a wide-ratio transmission, and suspension that is a little more plush (*think desert/Dakar bike).

In the States, the EXC models (450 and 530) are Enduro competition models that also happen to be street-legal. I have been told that their suspension and gearing is more along the lines of the XC-W models. A gentleman below (Wylie) mentioned that they do offer a street-legal version "across the pond". Perhaps that is the 300 EXC. I don't know if they ever offered it in the States (in terms of a street-legal version)...and, if so, what the last year offered was.

I hope this helps...

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 11:20 AM