Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Solo Chick Nicomama Kickin' it New School in San Diego's Back Country

Well, since I'm signed up to get down and dirty for my first time with March Madness Death Valley ride's wild 2010 group, I thought it'd be wise to get some top notch dirt schoolin' from one of the best dirt bike schools around this last weekend...

Thanks to J Sheets, or jjustj around here whom I met through my solo Grand Canyon ride report, I was introduced to two of the neatest and accomplished MSF and ASI licensed instructors and motocross racers...Bonnie Warch and Andrea Beach of Coach2ride.

I signed up immediately and was thrilled to find out that I was only sharing Bonnie's instruction with another rider, Paul, out of Calabasas, CA.

Here are Bonnie and Andrea showcasing the motocross talent and experience that they bring to back up their easy-going and adaptable instructional style.

Bonnie and Andrea adjust the course based on your current riding ability whether you are a green as Kermit beginner, advanced MX shredder or studly world ADV rider. All types of riders can benefit from Coach2ride's custom tailored dirt school.

Make sure to sign up for the oh-so-popular 2 day dirt course that has you tackling proper riding technique drills the first day and then hitting some exciting trail rides to put your recently acquired knowledge to the test the second day.

Since I wanted to use my own bike, Bonnie suggested I trailer my DRZ for the 3 hour trip from Los Angeles to Ramona in the back country of San Diego where the school is located.

So, I borrowed a Mototote and no sooner did I load the thing before I realized that there was a hitch in the plans. The new lockable hitch pin didn't fit and the old one was misplaced.

So, what does any respectable adventure rider do for plan B? Hop on the bike, of course! Sure, I had to streamline my duffle bag contents, but at 4 in the afternoon on a Friday on the infamous 405 freeway out of Los Angeles I sure was glad that splitting lanes was in my vocabulary.

I whipped out my handy ratchet straps to crank down my load before zipping off on my adventure. For those of you who need a reminder of how to work these straps I took a few extra shots to show you.

They come in two pieces like this, so...

first I grab the long strap with my right hand and thread it all the way through the underside of the pin...

Then I thread it up around the back side of the pin and down into the half-way slit of the pin...

Then you pull it through the bottom of the pin back over the other part of the strap and take up the extra slack...

Then you secure the hooks into your rack with the ratchet side of the straps facing up...

And lastly, you grab the rubber ratchet release with your thumb and squeeze it as you crank it back onto itself to start ratcheting.

Voila, now I have a load that won't budge on the Rugged Rider 2-in-1 DRZ cargo rack that I designed.

Here's my DRZ with the Sport Rack that follows the lines of the fender for daily cargo carry...

And for those longer adventure rides just bolt on the Adventure Rack...

And you're ready to strap on larger adventure loads...

Off I flew as I navigated through LA traffic with a smile on my face. How great it was to be greeted by my old UCSB roommate, Chris, and her family in Carlsbad for a night of great food, lots of laughter and endless catching up.

It sure felt like home...

Got a little beauty sleep before hitting the road in the morning for an hour long sunrise jaunt to Ramona on scenic hwy 78 to the Barona Speedway in the gorgeous back country of San Diego. Post more tomorrow guys.
nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote