Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #31
JEDI 2.0
Not From Star Wars

Oddometer: 81
Don't forget to derestrict your muffler----it was a weld-bead in it & needs to be filed smooth. Keep your shop-vac on hand to help prevent shavings going into the exhaust---doubt it matters but I kept mine very clean throughout the process.

If the temperature in your area exceeds a 45-95 degree temeperature range, then you will definitely want to consider getting a few different main jets for your carb. If you ever increase/decrease a main jet by more than 2 sizes, also increase/decrease the pilot jet size by 1.

IMO, a 1987 CH150 should be hitting 60mph no problem, with a few simple mods. untouched & fully stock, yep 58mph is about an ideal top speed. You should be experiencing almost wheelie-popping torque off the line, though, even bone-stock.

Something also i have noticed regarding lagging performance: I put SLIGHTLY LESS than the recommended amount of oil, IMO the recommended amount seems too much & can be slowing things down. Consider a lighter oil as these scoots don't really run very hot anyway----i switched from 10w40 Pennzoil to a 10w30 Quaker State & I do notice the difference. You may also need to change a laundry-list of bearings also, CERTAINLY your wheel bearings; a bad wheel bearing will cause lower top speeds & will make your engine work harder for nothing. The integrating bearing on the driven face was shot on my scoot, caused me to snap a driveshaft, whilst replacing ALSO found some bad bearings inside with the gears. ..

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! When you change your tires ALSO CHANGE YOUR VALVE STEMS! A new tire is nice & safe but if you keep the same cruddy, weather-beaten valve then you risk that sucker blowing out while riding. . .not good.

I'm actually SURPRISED nobody mentioned anything about bearings up to this point. . ..!
JEDI 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #32
Cameron1977
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Seafoam in oil also?

wow, this thread has all sorts of great info for CH150 owners.

I just added sea foam to my fuel.

Can I add seafoam into my 4-stroke oil as well, or is that a bad idea?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #33
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042

I wouldn't adulterate your motor oil with anything, not Seafoam, not B-12 Chemtool, not STP Oil Treatment, not Marvel Mystery Oil, not WD-40, not the sweat of 1,000 virgins, NOT ANYTHING.

So don't mess with your oil. Keep it clean and changed regularly. That's all you need to do to it, besides checking the level on a regular basis.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #34
derekmw
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey guys,

Bought this '84 CH125 Elite last week with no known past history. It fires right up, but I think the gas might be a bit old. Anyway, to do some light maintenance. Before riding it, I changed the oil and spark plug. Got a fuel and air filter on the way but the air filter actually looks clean.

So I got it on the road to take it out after doing this, and it struggles to even go over 30mph. These should be capable of 55mph from what I know. Apart from this though, the thing seems to run great. Fires right up, idles great, and no stumbling. Wheels spin freely when up on kickstand as well...Any ideas?

I also put seafoam in and rode it around about 1/2 mile but still no difference...
derekmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #35
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 414
84 Ch125

You have to get rid of the old gas. If you just top it up with new, and seafoam, it will run badly for a tankful. Then fill it again, more seafoam (like an ounce or 2) and it should get better. After a few hundred miles things should be back up to par.

Be very careful with those old dried out hard tires. They can kill you, and ruin your scooter, when they pop at speed and you go flying.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:43 AM   #36
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,442
carb with gunk in it. clutch, drive belt, rollers might need looking at. New drive belt off the net is 22 bucks, clutch drive face about 100 bucks . Start with the carb. If you look through the threads here someone did a strip down and rebuild . They posted pictures of it. It took them 3 or 4 days . I would do the above anyway if your going to keep it cheek out the drive train, carb etc. As for the tires anything with a date code of 3 years old should be change. They are only 20 bucks to buy each. Takes about 2 hours to take the wheels off, take them to a shop and have them put new ones on. Cheaper the 5 grand at the doctors.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #37
MobyJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
1985 Elite 150 DeLuxe VIN question.

My Honda Motorcycle ID Guide tells me that '85 was the first year for the CH150D in the USA. My all original DeLuxe with less than 6K on it has a VIN that ends ...00035. So I'm thinking it is the 35th Elite 150 made. Would be interested to know what your 1985 Elite's VIN is? I'm the second owner, mine lived in Mammoth Lakes, CA the first 20 years of its life. I'll post a picture when I'm on at home later.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #38
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
After getting a ride from the nearby grocery store in a stranger's pickup with the Elite earlier this week, I resolved to see if I had a spare spark plug wire/coil assembly.

I did.

The bike starts much better and doesn't stall nearly as much. However, I still see little black pieces of crud floating in the gas tank, so I need to drain it, clean it and put a new fuel line and filter on it. I had to ride it a bit more so I put $4.00 bucks worth of gas in it earlier tonight and put another 12 miles on it. It wants to still stall when turning (especially right) from a stop at an intersection. And it still does a least once a time when I am riding it. So it is still a work in progress - but it is getting better.

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #39
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest t bass

Are these crashbars available for an 85 CH150 Deluxe? Where does one find them, if they are still available? Thanks! Mario
1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #40
fullmetalscooter

I would guess someone made up a set. I ve never seen or heard of them before.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 AM   #41
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Shi
Are these crashbars available for an 85 CH150 Deluxe? Where does one find them, if they are still available? Thanks! Mario
If I help you find some will you sell me your Africa Twin???
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #42
fullmetalscooter

Wow the guy got twin African wife's. hot stuff.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #43
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdway
If I help you find some will you sell me your Africa Twin???
You probably wouldn't want it since I put scooter plastic on it

Just kidding:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #44
JEDI 2.0
Not From Star Wars

Oddometer: 81
Passed by one o those radar-trailer setups that tells you if you're speeding. ...76mph . ..on THIS bad boy! . ....It's the same type of scoot as Cameron's, that yellow one.

JEDI 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #45
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Crash bars?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1071564237

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1071564237

I have a set of these on my '86 Elite, anyone else seen a set like it?
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote