ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
klrcj OP
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Oddometer: 5
Cool2 Nevada - Road Less travelled

I have been thinking of compiling a dirt trail of Nevada from the most southern point to a most northern point. This would not just be to travel that expanse of Nevada by dirt, but also to travel to interesting points within the state. Needles to Jarbidge??? Starting, ending and all points in between are open to suggestion.

I would like a route that could be accomplished with minimal preposition-ed gear so the average adventure rider could travel between each point with reasonable distances between fuel and food stops.

Out of necessity, and of some interest, certain sections in the extreme southern portion will traverse into California. Incorporating some of Baja rally race portions would also be of interest. (look up the Nevada Experience rally - no longer sponsored) I think the best way to approach this project would be to identify points of interest that are positioned on roads less traveled, Attempt to link those locations and fuel stops by map building and then hit the trail to ensure accuracy and perform a True Track by GPS.

Points of interest that I know of in Southern Nevada region are Mojave Road portion leading out of the Searchlight, Nevada region - GoodSprings, Nevada - Nipton, California - China Date Ranch, California - Ash Meadows, Nevada - The pass over Red Rock Canyon State Park, Nevada - Wheelers Pass, Nevada - Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Nevada.

Of course the biggest question is...Has this already been done?


Any other points of interest, or links to proven GPS routes would be appreciated.
klrcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
bilmunson
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Oddometer: 35
Counts has "stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrcj
I have been thinking of compiling a dirt trail of Nevada from the most southern point to a most northern point. This would not just be to travel that expanse of Nevada by dirt, but also to travel to interesting points within the state. Needles to Jarbidge??? Starting, ending and all points in between are open to suggestion.

I would like a route that could be accomplished with minimal preposition-ed gear so the average adventure rider could travel between each point with reasonable distances between fuel and food stops.

Out of necessity, and of some interest, certain sections in the extreme southern portion will traverse into California. Incorporating some of Baja rally race portions would also be of interest. (look up the Nevada Experience rally - no longer sponsored) I think the best way to approach this project would be to identify points of interest that are positioned on roads less traveled, Attempt to link those locations and fuel stops by map building and then hit the trail to ensure accuracy and perform a True Track by GPS.

Points of interest that I know of in Southern Nevada region are Mojave Road portion leading out of the Searchlight, Nevada region - GoodSprings, Nevada - Nipton, California - China Date Ranch, California - Ash Meadows, Nevada - The pass over Red Rock Canyon State Park, Nevada - Wheelers Pass, Nevada - Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Nevada.

Of course the biggest question is...Has this already been done?


Any other points of interest, or links to proven GPS routes would be appreciated.
http://www.gpsxchange.com/
bilmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 4,888
Statewide Motorized Trail System on GPSXchange.com like bill said.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 705
LNBR, Lonely Nevada Backcountry Route

It sounds like a great Idea. Mabye cross over to the East side and pick up the ruby mountains. Add in as many hotsprings as you can. I would help with some of the planning if needed. Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
boney
Ride > Post
 
boney's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Sonoma CA
Oddometer: 1,397
I agree that all the above places are a good place to start, but you should also pick up a copy of the Benchmark Atlas and take a peek. There are hundreds, if not thousands of roads and trails that do not appear on the electronic formats suggested.

It's my understanding that Jerry keeps the SMTS for Nevada accurate for a certain mileage between (known?) gas. You may have a longer range and would therefor be open to a larger selection of roads and trails.

In my experience, it's wise to Google all the little towns you come across +"gas" and then call ahead to make sure they're still open, still have gas, where they are and what their hours are.
__________________
The Beach Bus
Esoteric, at best.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney
It's my understanding that Jerry keeps the SMTS for Nevada accurate for a certain mileage between (known?) gas. You may have a longer range and would therefor be open to a larger selection of roads and trails.

In my experience, it's wise to Google all the little towns you come across +"gas" and then call ahead to make sure they're still open, still have gas, where they are and what their hours are.
I have been trying to put phone number in Way Point data for my gas stops. Not a problem in real towns but with one pump in Denio, Locks, Gabbs, Alamo, etc better call before trip.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
boney
Ride > Post
 
boney's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Sonoma CA
Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I have been trying to put phone number in Way Point data for my gas stops. Not a problem in real towns but with one pump in Denio, Locks, Gabbs, Alamo, etc better call before trip.
Good to know. I haven't looked at the file in a little while.
__________________
The Beach Bus
Esoteric, at best.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014