Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #151
BruceC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs
So Bruce

you riding the Ducati up to Wanaaring then ?????

I'll get back to you. I gotta think about this one. One major problem is work. Roll on 2011 when I retire!

Also, who's organising the pick-up vehicle - this is a Ducati you know. It does fit the criteria though. I paid $995 for it. In 1972. New.

BruceC
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #152
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,748
Only in Cobar could it happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
Well ducked Pezz, if Troy knew that you'd given me the rest of the bike to use to drive a water pump i think he'd have freaked out. The old Ebay excuse always keeps the purists happy.......
Imagine using a husky TE510 motor to drive a ducati's waterpump...? Talk about over kill... the worlds first three cylinder salami slicer!

And talking about purists... how do you explain to the ducati-istas that the swedish waterpump leaks as much water as the italian donk does oil... exxon valdez... that's real slick mate!

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 01-29-2010 at 10:39 AM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #153
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
Imagine using a husky TE510 motor to drive a ducati's waterpump...? Talk about over kill... the worlds first three cylinder salami slicer!

And talking about purists... how do you explain to the ducati-istas that the swedish waterpump leaks as much water as the italian donk does oil... exxon valdez... that's real slick mate!

We ignore you Suzuki riding Philistines , so no point trying to explain anything !
Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #154
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
I
Jealous Mr Carpenter? Man if you're ever over this way drop and you can take this for a spin (spin being the operative word here)

This is the nuttiest bike i've ever ridden and i've had a few crazy ones. I'll be trying to ride it from Sydney to Wanaaring with Pezz
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 AM   #155
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,725
Carmima,

Well you had to throw the challenge out there didn't you?

Onto the operating table

Oil pump and alternator removed.

Clutch about to come out

Behind the clutch

All ready to split the cases

Open Heart

Fair amount of sludge in the bottom case

Now the lot has to go off to the Soda Blasters for a good clean, and I have to order some more seals.The gearbox looks great as does the crank. Peace of mind :)

The carbies arrived on Friday and after a thorough clean up look great, didn't get a chance to open them up but they are a much better place to start from than the other set.

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #156
mcfear
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,586
looking good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:21 AM   #157
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Oh, I picked up these XR650 forks as Im a little worried about the back-end out suspending the front end

Old 01-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #158
trussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
well done pezz,

i don't know how you get the time to do all this, and take photos, let alone work out how everything is going to fit, i can't wait to see the finished product.

How do you think you will go at rego, with all the different parts on it.

I have gone in another direction, i finally got the GT250 running, got it rego'd, and now if i want to do some mods(ie suspenders, wheels etc), it shouldn't matter.

Sorry, just thinking out loud, hope the missus didnt hear.

Either way, i dont think i will make the trip this year, missus is planning a family trip to phucket with some friends.

Never know but.
trussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #159
carmima
All Orange :-)

Oddometer: 2,951
Well Pezz, someone had to taunt you sorry mate

Great work though and at least you'll have peace of mind when you're finally riding it

carmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 AM   #160
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
Gotta say it man, I'm still amazed at a pic of a Ducati on the gravel that isn't lying on it's side wimpering!

By the way, yes I am still jealous mate
Old 01-31-2010, 04:36 PM   #161
wiggywildwildwest
cranky bugger

Oddometer: 730
is that the primary drive chain in the pics ? are you replacing it while it's apart ?
Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #162
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywildwildwest
is that the primary drive chain in the pics ? are you replacing it while it's apart ?
Yes its the primary drive chain and no Im not replacing it, i have to draw the line somewhere, not sure where as yet but it measures within spec.

It is not a complete restoration, however as it was apart as far as it was I just thought i would check the gearbox and bottom end for peace of mind. It had a few oil leaks so it easier to start clean. Cases off the the soda blasters today. Then a little paint to keep em clean, maybe orange

Old 01-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #163
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,567
Great thread pezz. Bloody interesting to those who always wondered what magic makes bikes go!!

Now hypothetically. If you hit a really big rock out there somewhere & it completely folded in the exhaust on the outside cylinder so little or no exhaust gas could escape what would prob happen? Would the motor keep running on the remaining 3 cylinders? Would it burn out a valve or something more serious like a head gasket?

Sorry for the hijack it was just one of those random thoughts I had out riding...
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #164
Pezz_gs OP
Cant ride for crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
Great thread pezz. Bloody interesting to those who always wondered what magic makes bikes go!!

Now hypothetically. If you hit a really big rock out there somewhere & it completely folded in the exhaust on the outside cylinder so little or no exhaust gas could escape what would prob happen? Would the motor keep running on the remaining 3 cylinders? Would it burn out a valve or something more serious like a head gasket?

Sorry for the hijack it was just one of those random thoughts I had out riding...
Lets see, I hit a rock big enough to fold a header but not fall off

It would be a pretty big hit to close a header, I would probably stop and have a look

Could probably loosen the header pipe remove it and try to straighten it out with the Leatherman or a rock. If need be cut above the total fold and let the air leak out. . . . . Limp into town.

or

Okay, . . . get out the trangia metho stove, head the header pipe at the bend, the force a tyre lever or a whittled tree branch into the crushed section to open it up.

or

SMS tHEtREV for a hand

Really dunno what I would do until it happened

Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM   #165
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs
Lets see, I hit a rock big enough to fold a header but not fall off

It would be a pretty big hit to close a header, I would probably stop and have a look

Could probably loosen the header pipe remove it and try to straighten it out with the Leatherman or a rock. If need be cut above the total fold and let the air leak out. . . . . Limp into town.

or

Okay, . . . get out the trangia metho stove, head the header pipe at the bend, the force a tyre lever or a whittled tree branch into the crushed section to open it up.

or

SMS tHEtREV for a hand

Really dunno what I would do until it happened
Well firstly, on the wanaaring ride at least, you'll have an entourage to offer assistance, advice, beer, encouragment, advice, more beer. So this issue is mute.

By the way good thinking ie using a tyre lever etc. I was thinking just loosen the header pipe at the head and bend the pipe out a little to let the gas out and ride slowly into town.
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote