Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #961
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerslayer
Not murdering a lot of bugs lately, are we?

You're killing us with boredom Arno. How are we deskbound types supposed to live vicariously through your adventures if you don't have any?

Isn't it time to wreck a bike or something? At least go out on the patio, kick the bike over, and take a picture or something. Rub some ketchup on your knee and take a picture of that too please.

Yeah, tell me about it. All I've been doing lately is just running back and forth to the dentist and to school. This is the most exciting thing that's happened this week - and I used that machine anyway
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #962
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,371
I pushed some of your buttons so now it's your turn - - - - pictures please. It's winter on the dryside and cabin fever is setting in ~ I need a vicarious thrill.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #963
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,859
Quote:
How are we deskbound types supposed to live vicariously through your adventures?
schedule yourself a month's worth of dental work

Quote:
Isn't it time to wreck a bike or something?
He should be able to help you out in a few weeks
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #964
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
I pushed some of your buttons so now it's your turn - - - - pictures please. It's winter on the dryside and cabin fever is setting in ~ I need a vicarious thrill.
Ok, you guys asked for it...

So... for the last few days I've had a low-grade fever and slight nausea. No diarrhea or anything else. It was starting to take the life out of me, so I described it to my teacher in case he recognized the symptoms. He didn't, but he told the dueña. She gave me some tea that she said would help. It seemed to, but the next day (today) I felt like crap and had yet another fever.

So, back at school I tell the dueña again and she gives me a little cup and tells me to poop in the cup and take it to the sanitarium for analysis. Ha ha, when was the last time you had to poop in a cup?

So I sashay on down to the local sanatorium with a cup full of poop. This is not in my vocabulary yet. To say that I was unsure of what exactly I was doing is an understatement. Well, the sanitarium girl took my cup of poop like it was an everyday occurance, and I guess it is for her, and charged me Q15 (what, $1.05?) for the analysis.

Well, I guess either the thing I had ran its course, or the tea worked, because the analysis came back negative and I felt better afterwards Another mini-adventure...
(no, I didn't take any other pictures, this will have to do, ok? )
Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #965
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Hi Arno,

I am enjoying your ride report.

I, too, would like to go to the dentist in Guat. next month and get some work done. So, I am actually quite interested to hear your report on dental work. Affordable prices for health and dental down there. 15 Quetzals for a poop report sounds pretty reasonable. ¿No?

In the mean time, I am studying spanish for my trip next month by reading your report.

Color: café = color brown, ¿No?
Aspecto: formado = Firm poop, ¿No?

Not sure what trofozoitos are or moco. But glad to see they didn't find any sangre, huevos or larvas under the microscopio.

Hope you are feeling better.
See you down the road.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #966
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,579
Quote:
You're killing us with boredom Arno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
So I sashay on down to the local sanatorium with a cup full of poop.
Just had to ask didn't you, BS.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #967
drrags OP
Dorkus Malorkus

Cool, then I'll tell you what I know, and post it here for any other that are interested.

Dental and medical care seems to be about 1/10th of the cost in the US. The doctors I've met so far are well educated from universities that I recognize. Doctor Recinos for example has specialized degrees from Miami and Huntsville.

What you won't find are lots of expensive conveniences. For example, my orthodontist doesn't have an x-ray machine or an LCD monitor or any of the other expensive devices you find in the US. When I needed x-rays, he sent me to the x-ray place down the street. It's basic and it's functional. There are no leather couches in the waiting room or berber carpet that I'm subsidizing. When he needed to know what was going on, he either looked in my mouth or held the x-ray up to the light, no $5,000 computer needed.

What's not cheap are glasses. I got to thinking, hey, if the dental work is cheap, and the doctor work is cheap, then getting a new set of glasses must be cheap, too, right? Wrongo! I walked into a couple of shops, found a suitable frame and described that I wanted anti-reflective coating and that auto-darkening stuff. I was surprised to find out it was the same price or more expensive than in the US. I asked one guy why, and he replied, "well, I have to send it to the states." aha!

But back to dental - if you're doing something major, or similar to what I'm doing, remember that you won't be in the chair all day, so make sure you have something else to do. I recommend taking 4 or 5 hours a day of Spanish school. There are lots of schools in Xela and not many tourists. You won't have much opportunity to speak English (and that's a good thing). The schools here run from about $100 - $140 a week, depending on if you want homestay. Personally, I didn't care for homestay and eventually rented a small apartment. I couldn't get used to boiled roots for dinner. Now, I fry me up some hamburgers and eggs in my own kitchen.

Oh yeah, regular drugs like Xanax, Valium, hydrocordon (sp) are regulated and you need a prescription like you do in the US. I'm type II diabetic and I found I can buy Metformin across the counter - no prescription necessary.

PM me if you, or anyone else have any specific questions.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #968
Ms. Chiff
just a little

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Ok, you guys asked for it...

So, back at school I tell the dueña again and she gives me a little cup and tells me to poop in the cup and take it to the sanitarium for analysis. Ha ha, when was the last time you had to poop in a cup?

So I sashay on down to the local sanatorium with a cup full of poop. This is not in my vocabulary yet. To say that I was unsure of what exactly I was doing is an understatement. Well, the sanitarium girl took my cup of poop like it was an everyday occurance, and I guess it is for her, and charged me Q15 (what, $1.05?) for the analysis.

Well, I guess either the thing I had ran its course, or the tea worked, because the analysis came back negative and I felt better afterwards Another mini-adventure...
(no, I didn't take any other pictures, this will have to do, ok? )
Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #969
Beerslayer
Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer: 3,734
Hey Rebecca

Thanks for posting the results of your coprological analysis Arno. Really!

The first time I was in Colombia I got really sick and stayed that way for a long time. I figure it was parasites. Now I know what to ask for
Road Rash Riding Roatan
Beerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #970
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,651
Holy shit - get back on the bike, you don't have to crash it or anything but just sayin . . .

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #971
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
...she gives me a little cup and tells me to poop in the cup and take it to the sanitarium for analysis. Ha ha, when was the last time you had to poop in a cup?
I was a study abroad director for students in Costa Rica for a couple of years, and all the students had to provide a "muestra de heces" (poop sample) to get their university insurance cards. Guess who got to take 25 students to the poop place? No digital cameras at the time so we used 35mm film canisters. They don't have that big of an opening.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:29 AM   #972
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,371
Thanks for the description of the medical/dental care it's very interesting. The picture of the results is just fine and thanks for not taking a picture of the cup of poop.

I'm glad you're feeling better.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #973
Baldone1
I like It Dirty

Oddometer: 65
Yo!

A similar thing happened to me the here in Cuzco. I woke up VERY sick the other day. Then I realized I just had a bad hangover. Kinda like you the day we left San Cristobal.

Kevin
Baldone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #974
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldone1
A similar thing happened to me the here in Cuzco. I woke up VERY sick the other day. Then I realized I just had a bad hangover. Kinda like you the day we left San Cristobal.

Kevin
dude, youre still in Cuzco? did it ever stop raining?

Arno, amazing about that 5B machine that we used all the time. I figured that since there was a guys standing there with a shotgun all day long that the machine would be fine.

The 5B machine that took my card in Flores was rigged I think. I put in my password and it said "thanks, have a nice day," and kept my card. Then a local army guy saw me walk of the booth and asked me if I used that machine. I told him that it took my card. \he told me that \i better cancel my card right away because that machine had a reputation for being rigged. would have been nice to know that ahead of time. Of course I immediately got on the phone and canceled the card.

Good idea to check your balances as often as possible down here.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #975
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,859
Quote:
is that Dr. Meeeeeeef?

how many e's are in that name?
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote