User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
astauff OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
phoenix 150 scooter

im looking at a 2008 with a hunderd miles on - only owned by the dealer. can't find any helpful reviews online. anyone know anything about this bike? I'm not looking for a long term investment - just a good commuter scooter that will last me for a couple years when well-maintained.
astauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
You need to know a little more about the actual make of the scooter. Phoenix is just a random name and a lot of Chinese scooters are randomly dumped into the US market. This isn't like a Honda or Yamaha where you'll find a lot of epinions type information and a lot of model specifics.

Anyway, is it a LANCE Phoenix 150? There are online reviews for that:
http://www.topix.com/forum/motorcycl...F57A4NEV1J67DF

I'm not sure anybody really considers Lance to be more than a middling marque. How much is he asking? Is there any warranty left that dealer is willing to honor? When you say "well maintained", do you mean that you're willing to personally do more than just oil changes?

I see some Lance Phoenix 150's advertised online with MSRP's of $2900. That's frankly absurd for a Chinese scooter. Right now--winter, bad economy, etc...--you can find new/last year's model of Taiwanese brands with better reputations (KYMCO, Buddy, SYM) for under $2K.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
astauff OP
n00b

lance phoenix 150

I didn't realize it was a lance. I heard some bad reviews of their little scoots like the charming. but what i've heard about the 150's isn't too bad. Thanks for the link to the reviews. The dealer wants 1200 for it. it has 100 miles on it and has only been owned by the dealer. By well maintained, I mean that I would take it in for scheduled maintance every so often. I'm also not planning on riding this over 45 mph and only to the train station and back every day (total 4 miles per day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by approachbears
You need to know a little more about the actual make of the scooter. Phoenix is just a random name and a lot of Chinese scooters are randomly dumped into the US market. This isn't like a Honda or Yamaha where you'll find a lot of epinions type information and a lot of model specifics.

Anyway, is it a LANCE Phoenix 150? There are online reviews for that:
http://www.topix.com/forum/motorcycl...F57A4NEV1J67DF

I'm not sure anybody really considers Lance to be more than a middling marque. How much is he asking? Is there any warranty left that dealer is willing to honor? When you say "well maintained", do you mean that you're willing to personally do more than just oil changes?

I see some Lance Phoenix 150's advertised online with MSRP's of $2900. That's frankly absurd for a Chinese scooter. Right now--winter, bad economy, etc...--you can find new/last year's model of Taiwanese brands with better reputations (KYMCO, Buddy, SYM) for under $2K.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
astauff OP
n00b

what does middling marque mean?

Yes there is a warrantee. I'm not sure what "middling marque" means. Regardless, its too late now. I went ahead and bought it. I've been looking around for three weeks and I realy needed a scooter asap. hopefully this one will last me a couple of years until the electrics start becoming more affordable.

I'm not sure anybody really considers Lance to be more than a middling marque. How much is he asking?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by astauff
Yes there is a warrantee. I'm not sure what "middling marque" means. Regardless, its too late now. I went ahead and bought it. I've been looking around for three weeks and I realy needed a scooter asap. hopefully this one will last me a couple of years until the electrics start becoming more affordable.

I'm not sure anybody really considers Lance to be more than a middling marque. How much is he asking?
"Middling Marque" means that the dealer near me sells a boat load of Lance Charming scooters to each new crop of undergraduates who don't complain much when they rattle apart after a couple years or get left locked to bicycle racks when they move away. They seem better than the Chinese scooters sold here out of a flatbed trailer on the same corner where the shady used car dealers park their cars and act like they're private sellers. And they seem better than the Baja brand sold at Pep Boys.

Oddly, the Lance dealer near me doesn't appear to carry the Phoenix. Not sure why not.

Good luck with yours by the way.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
jim63
2-Wheel Junkie

Oddometer: 42
I would think carefully about buying a Chinese scooter. I own one, it is in pieces in my garage. It lasted almost 1 year and got 5000 miles out of it, before it fell apart, the engine let go. My SYM RV250 has over 14k miles on it and runs as well as the 1st day I got it. It cost over 2x as much as the clone I bought, but you generally get what you pay for. But if you only going 2 miles each way guess it dont matter to much, if it breaks the walk wont be to long. If you looking to go uber-cheap you can roll the dice on a new drop ship to your door, saw some 150's in the $800 range, if you're adventurous.
jim63 is offline   Reply With Quote