User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
bwanacswan OP
Team Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,032
Sports Hernia ?

Didn't quite know where to put this thread but figured that at least some of you are athletic.

Diagnosed today with an iguinal hernia aka sports hernia, any of you dealt with this and what were your limitations?

Not having surgery for about a month and have been sidelined with what was thought to be a hip flexor for past 6 weeks.

I am used to working out 2 hours a day and now I can't lift any real weight, not supposed to run and anything that requires a burst can lead to real problems.

This sucks bad. So much for being prepared for running and triathlon season.

Thanks,

Bwana
ADV members, nothing but rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.
bwanacswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 950
I had dual Inguinal Hernia surgery a few years back. I remember doing my research prior to the surgery and it said something along the lines of return to normal activity in one week. Right, if normal is eating potato chips and watching Nascar. It took quite a bit longer for me to get back biking and climbing.

Have a comfy chair to sleep in. Sitting up from a lying position sucked.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
OuttaMyWay
I shook his hand!!!!1!!

Oddometer: 7,776
Well, I must be one of them "athletes." Going in next month for the consultation. Meanwhile, when it pops out, I pop it back in again. Losing a little weight has helped a lot.

Now would be a constructive time to crawl down off of bullshit mountain.
--Grainbelt
OuttaMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,397
I had a double. One I knew about, the other I didn't know was there. By the end, even standing was uncomfortable as the one I knew about kept popping out.

I had the full surgery, not laparoscopic. Took me maybe a month to feel normal again. It took one full week after the surgery before I had the energy to go back to work, and half a week of work before I wasn't completely drained by the end of the day.

I apparently had scar tissue in the area of the surgery, as I'd sometimes feel a sharp pain there. Eventually I saw a physical therapist who stretched it out.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #5
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,631
Never had a hernia, but did tear my patellar tendon a couple of years ago. I had to wear a straight, immobile leg brace for 8 weeks. I wasn't training for a triathlon, but was a regular on the stationary bike and treadmill. The only exercise I could do was swim with my legs supported by a small dumbbell buoy. From what it sounds like, that might be something for you to consider. You'll be amazed at how much more effort swimming w/o your legs is. I wouldn't think it would stress the hernia as long as you don't do aggressive flip turns or try to do butterfly. Sucks to be immobilized, but even worse if you exacerbate the problem by overdoing it.
Good luck with the surgery...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: