Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
wheelnut46 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
New GPSmap 60csx - old City Navigator

My birthday was yesterday and my Wonderfull wife bought me a new Garmin GPSmap 60csx to replace the one that was stolen from my truck last November. The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to load my previous Mapsource City Navigator from my computer onto the unit (2gb micro SD) but it won't unlock the maps (but it did transfer my saved waypoints). The City Nav CDs are misplaced at the moment so I'm just trying to "transfer maps" but Garmin tech support is only open M-F during normal business hours and I'm working then.
I have City Navigator (6.15.6) loaded on my work computer too so I could try again tomorrow but I'm just wondering if I missed something in the setup.
1946 Chevy pickup

wheelnut46 screwed with this post 01-24-2010 at 07:47 PM
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,708
Your maps are still unlocked to the serial number of your old unit. You will have to call Garmin and explain the situation.

BTW, 6.15.6 is the Mapsource version number, not the City Nav maps version.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Your maps are still unlocked to the serial number of your old unit. You will have to call Garmin and explain the situation.
He meant "locked", of course.

If the City Nav is old enough, he might have a second unlock. It usually works out okay.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:08 AM   #4
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckopp
He meant "locked", of course.

If the City Nav is old enough, he might have a second unlock. It usually works out okay.
Actually, he meant unlocked. As in the maps have been unlocked and are tied to the original GPS.

So unless you can convince Garmin to provide a new unlock code for the new unit, you will not be able to use the old software - and you will have to have the original disc, or another one with the same version, to be able to create a file that you can then download to the new unit.

Good luck.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
wheelnut46 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Thumb Good news

After contacting Garmin I was told that they could help me. All I needed to do was provide them with the police report number from when my original unit was stolen and the SN of the new unit. After a quick call to the local police station I was in business. I called Garmin back, explained the situation to the rep and he took all my info and emailed me a new unlock code and directions to unlock my maps and load them all onto my new GPS.
2-1/2 hours later I have all of the US and southern Canada loaded (just in case I ever find myself out of RI.
The phone reps at Garmin were really helpful.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Does not Garmin 60Cx have MapSource and Maps included when you buy it new from store? I still trying figure out the whole deal with MSource, Maps, SD cards, GPs etc... I have a Nuvi 350 which just turn n and go, what's up with those all multi$$$ GPS?????

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia
Does not Garmin 60Cx have MapSource and Maps included when you buy it new from store? I still trying figure out the whole deal with MSource, Maps, SD cards, GPs etc... I have a Nuvi 350 which just turn n and go, what's up with those all multi$$$ GPS?????
The short answer is "no".

There is a "basemap" in the 60CSX with a very limited amount of information. For example, for routing on roads, only interstates, state highways and some county highways are in the basemap. You couldn't search for an address on a city street. This info would get you from New York to Los Angeles, but not to a specific address or point of interest. I understand it's the same deal with the basemap vs the Mapsource topographical map. The 60 series would still work OK (just OK) without a mapping program, but it's way better with one.

Frankly, I think your Nuvi 350 is just fine for 99% of car drivers. But if you like to play with routes, tracks and do outdoor stuff, the cheaper Nuvis can' touch a 60
Old 02-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Thanks, Mr. B
So, I did not find that info, but can it be wired to bikes' 12 DC? I only found that it works of the batteries.

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #9
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voluhzia
Thanks, Mr. B
So, I did not find that info, but can it be wired to bikes' 12 DC? I only found that it works of the batteries.

Sure, I sometimes power my 60CX from the bike's battery. You can get the power cord from Garmin--it plugs into a cigarette lighter. Lately, I tend to just use AA battteries so I'm not dealing with the hassle of another cord (along with the Gerbings and Autocom power cords). When I'm traveling, I can get two days from a set of batteries. I buy them by the bucket-load at Costco.