Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 615
2 Garmins 1 Mapsource

Any suggestions on how I can get maps in my Etrex Vista HCX. I also have a Zumo 550, but City Nav 2009 will only unlock to one GPS. I hate to buy another program. My 2610 w/V5 would unlock to 2 units. Thanks,
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,567
Likely will have to buy another unlock code,or for a similar online price get version 10.x from aftermarket vendors(Amazon,TVNav,GPSCity,etc)
JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Unfortunately the 2610 w/software is long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356
If you still have an unlock left on V5,use it,maps will still be pretty useful.
Otherwise you are pretty much stuck buying another unlock code.

JR356
'12 NC700X/D
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Just to make sure you know, you can easily control multiple GPS's with one version of MapSource. You can move waypoints, routes, & tracks very easily between them all. MapSource is not specific at all to what Garmin GPS you use.

Now if you are asking about taking your 2009 maps that are "registered" your Zumo 500 and copying them to your Etrex, then yes, you'll need a 2nd "unlock" code to unlock the maps for the Etrex and be able to copy them to that device. You still can do all this with one copy of MapSource also. You can even have multiple map data sources all loaded and jump between them using the drop down box But you do have to have individual unique unlock codes for each GPS both located in your license folder or where ever they keep it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,150
How do you use the etrex?
Does it have or do you use its autoroute functions?
Do you search POI's?

If not try one of the free-bee topos on it.

Like BlueLghtning says you can still use Mapsourse or even Base Camp to do waypoints and tracks, though maybe not routes.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

That's what I want to do. I want roads and addresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning

Now if you are asking about taking your 2009 maps that are "registered" your Zumo 500 and copying them to your Etrex, then yes, you'll need a 2nd "unlock" code to unlock the maps for the Etrex and be able to copy them to that device. You still can do all this with one copy of MapSource also. You can even have multiple map data sources all loaded and jump between them using the drop down box But you do have to have individual unique unlock codes for each GPS both located in your license folder or where ever they keep it.
'12 NC700X/D
Old 02-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Well, for the heck of it, I tried loading my maps from an old desktop computer I have (older version of Mapsource), and it worked. Problem solved. Thanks for the help,
'12 NC700X/D
Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger
Well, for the heck of it, I tried loading my maps from an old desktop computer I have (older version of Mapsource), and it worked. Problem solved. Thanks for the help,
Keep in mind MapSource is just the GUI. Yeah they keep updating it, but it doesn't contain any data that gets transferred to your GPS, it just holds the map data you have loaded? If you look in the drop down box, it will tell you mhat map data this was? Most likely it was older maps like Metroguide or Roads & Recreation that never required unlock codes and could easily be loaded on several GPS's. Maybe even the City Select, but I think some of those required unlock codes too. If you still have the disk, you can load this this mapset on your new computer and not have dig up the old one each time.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

It's Mapsource version 6:13:6:0 but I believe it started as V5 which had 2 unlock codes. I had an unlock code for both units and I'm glad I still have the old computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Keep in mind MapSource is just the GUI. Yeah they keep updating it, but it doesn't contain any data that gets transferred to your GPS, it just holds the map data you have loaded? If you look in the drop down box, it will tell you mhat map data this was? Most likely it was older maps like Metroguide or Roads & Recreation that never required unlock codes and could easily be loaded on several GPS's. Maybe even the City Select, but I think some of those required unlock codes too. If you still have the disk, you can load this this mapset on your new computer and not have dig up the old one each time.
'12 NC700X/D
Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
It's Mapsource version 6:13:6:0 but I believe it started as V5 which had 2 unlock codes. I had an unlock code for both units and I'm glad I still have the old computer.
You are still confusing MapSource and the Map Data. They are 2 different things. Yes, older map data (like City Select V5) or (City Navigator V5/v6/V7) did come with 2 unlock codes so you could use it on 2 GPS's. Garmin stopped doing this I think somewhere around City Nav V8 or 2008 and now you have buy an unlock code for each GPS. You can easily move unlock codes from one PC to another or one MapSource to another MapSource. Its not that hard as the algorithm checks against the GPS serial number and some other info, not the PC.

Anyway, so it appears you have an older map data loaded on this PC which has an older version of MapSource, but that version of MapSource doesn't really matter. It has nothing to do with the unlock codes, its just hosting your map data. A lot of people have wanted to stay at version 6.13.7 because they totally changed the look of the GUI after that and the performance suffered.

I took a few screen shots to sort of help you see what I'm talking about. If you still have the disk that has this older map program on, you could technically load it on your current PC and just flip between the different map data depending on what GPS you have hooked to your PC at that moment. I have 5 or 6 Garmin GPS's and I use pretty much 1 pc to load maps, routes, & tracks.

If you pull up MapSource on both PC's, you'll see something like this near the upper left. Your new one probably shows something like City Nav 2009 while the older one is probably some form of City Select, maybe City Nav?

I couldn't get a screen shot with the list displayed, but if I click that, it shows all versions of Map Data I have loaded.

I can go under tools and find out that same info which is shown here. As you can see, I have City Nav v8 and 2009.1, plus some older ones like Metroguide & US Road & Rec which works awesome for older Dual Sport rides and GPS's that don't have a lot of memory to store maps. The older software doesn't require unlock codes as you can tell since they say not lockable. The two City Navs are unlocked which is required to use them.

Now, here is where it gets confusing. You can have more then 1 GPS unlocked to the same Map Data, but each one requires a unique unlock code.
I only have the map data for 2009.1 loaded once, but I have 2 unlock codes so I can push maps to either one of the GPS's that I have unlock codes for. If I highlighted one of those map data sources and then clicked properties, you'd see my unlock code for that particular GPS. They are unique codes. You can see that my 478 and 376C are both unlocked to 2009.1 though, and the 2820 is unlocked to V8. I have an unlock code for 2820 too for 2009.1. It must be loaded on a different PC and I just never noticed that till now. The only time it would create an issue is if I tried to push the maps from this PC to the 2820 with no valid unlock code, and then I would get an error, but it stores the entire US on it so I have no reason to push maps to it. I can easily load the unlock code on this PC though and fix that.

So basically, what I'm saying is you can load multiple map data info on one version of MapSource. Some of the newer maps are requiring people to update past the coveted 6.13.7 version, but there's actually a fix for that in another thread I posted.

I actually like the updated look of MapSource and am currently on 6.15.4

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 09:42 AM
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #11
gkgeiger OP
Every ride is an ADV

Ok. My notebook has City Navigator North America 2009. My decktop version doesn't even have the drop down box, but I went under programs and to Garmin and I think it's NACN V5 dated 2003. Thanks for your help and sorry I was confusing things. As I stated I now have the maps loaded that I wanted.
'12 NC700X/D
Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Ok. My notebook has City Navigator North America 2009. My decktop version doesn't even have the drop down box, but I went under programs and to Garmin and I think it's NACN V5 dated 2003. Thanks for your help and sorry I was confusing things. As I stated I now have the maps loaded that I wanted.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #13
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,678
easy questions re: City Nav NT 2010 / 376c / Macbook

Ok, I find this Garmin stuff totally, needlessly confusing.

I just bought a used 376c and want to load some maps on it. I bought a new DVD of City Nav 2010 a few months ago that I unlocked (can't remember the exact process though...) and installed on my 60cx. I still have the original DVD with the product key and all that.

I would like to now install some of those maps on my 376c. When I open Basecamp or Roadtrip on the Mac, I can see City Nav 2010 open as the installed mapset (I installed the recent beta release of Basecamp).

1) Can I just go ahead and do this, or do I need another "license" for the 376c?

2) Do I just use Basecamp/Roadtrip, and if so, how do I choose what maps to install?

3) Can I install some Topo maps also at the same time?

4) Please refrain from flaming me for being a GPS dolt.

dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,567
You need a second license.

You can install topo at the same time,if you have enough room,the largest data card for the 376 is 512mb,so your total mapsets must equal less than this amount.
The install process involves selecting all the mapsets you want to load and all must be done as one upload.
If you try to load one mapset,then another,the latest upload will erase the previous one.

They are spendy,but you might want to consider a second data card for the topo maps.

Spend time reading this thread for all the Mac info:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331421

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc
4) Please refrain from flaming me for being a GPS dolt.
No flame - just an encouragement to read a little.

The answer to your question was about 10 posts down the page.

Merged......

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote