User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 465
Solo Chick Nicomama skids across Cali central coast

I was so looking forward to this trip out of my own backyard this last extended weekend, while revisiting old haunts along the California coast without being boxed up in a car.

Ah, nothing like savoring nature's beauty and scents, with the power of an agile machine at your whim. Yep, that's the feeling of freedom on a motorcycle, folks.

Packed up Jack B. Nimble last Tuesday afternoon and night at a reasonable hour. It was nice to get some sleep before this ride. Scheduled to hit the road the next morning at 6a.

Had to detach my rack to put my new/used Ortleib dry saddlebags on. Thanks to our very own inmate, Neiltkool. Since I wanted to keep them tight against Jack for a tighter profile, I had to keep them forward off the pipe...

My load was top heavy on my Grand Canyon ride last October. So now after distributing some of the weight to the lower saddlebags, Jack handled like his old self. These bags are a perfect width for my liking. Not too wide. Also after strapping them tightly to the passenger footpeg brackets, they stayed in place.

My little angel, Alana, woke up early to give me one last hug...

From the San Fernando Valley I headed south on the 405 to link up to the coast via Sunset Blvd. Gassed up at Sunset and PCH just after the sun rose...

I didn't get much farther before I needed to stop for another photo. I new this would be the case for this entire photo-op trip, so that's why I allotted myself 2 days to get from Los Angeles to San Francisco.

This hill above this gas station was where I grew up as a teenager. It's called the Castellemmare hill in Pacific Palisades. This castle gives it its name...

I wasn't there for one minute before a gruff construction worker yelled at me to move my bike, so he could back into the driveway. I did my best to turn his sour mood around, and certainly wasn't going to let him put a damper on the beginning of my trip. I thanked him for the photos and peeled outa there.

Boy, did I luck out skating through a 5 day trip with the threat of 3 rainy days only to ride through some heavy mist my second day in. No rain for 5 days. And, what with our rainy season so far, I couldn't believe I got the sun that I did the first day out.

This PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) shot marks the beginning of my coastal route...

In the shot you'll notice my latest prototype, my new Rugged Rider DRZ skid plate...

In this last shot, you can see the hex bolts attaching the plate to the factory side mounts. The side mounting avoids bolt heads from getting sheered off the bottom and avoids vibrational noise by keeping the plate off the bottom rails.

If any of you are familiar with Mike Tonn of Tonn's Racing, his skid plate also mounted this way.

You can get additional specs off the product page of my website.

Off I roll to enjoy fresh salty air against my face while the morning light dances on the ocean as I pull into the Malibu pier...

So, this trip signifies connection for me. Jack is my needle and I am the thread that weaves a tightly woven tapestry of family closeness and friendship throughout the trip. Plus, meeting amazing people with their own engaging stories at every stop is one of the biggest perks of solo adventure riding for me.

Hang on folks, much more to follow.
nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
Beatiful Cali ride.... keep it comin' Nico!
Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #3
ppfeifer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Stronger kickstand

Nicomama,

With all the gear that you're carrying its probably hard to swing a leg over without standing on the footpeg. Eventually the kickstand starts to bend, do you know if anyone is making a stronger one?

Another question, where did you purchase the Sahara tank? I've seen them in Austrailian mags but didn't know where to purchase them.

ppfeifer
ppfeifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Serbchaser
Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer: 264
Awesome report so far - can't wait to see the rest. Phenomenal pics too!! That California weather makes me sick after all the crap we have been having back east this winter. Oh well...keep it coming.

Serbchaser screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 07:27 AM
Serbchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,215
Having grown up in the LA area it brings back great memories of the 80's & 90's when bicycling was my passion & I would be on the bike at dawn & pedling up or down PCH at sunrise. Thanks for the great pictures.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
Rangerrat
Adventurer Rat

Oddometer: 27
"Wow", on those photos

Great short narrative story. And those shots are awesome.
Your writing style feels like you are a Journalist, if not, you must be a Teacher. Nicomama, what type of Camera are you using? Yep, I think I sit here and wait for more of this Cali adventure.

Roads do nothing but impede my adventure, so why have them?
Rangerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,729
Looks like fun! Keep up the good RR!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
demetri
looking for an exit

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama
I was so looking forward to this trip out of my own backyard this last extended weekend, while revisiting old haunts along the California coast without being boxed up in a car.

Ah, nothing like savoring nature's beauty and scents, with the power of an agile machine at your whim. Yep, that's the feeling of freedom on a motorcycle, folks.

Packed up Jack B. Nimble last Tuesday afternoon and night at a reasonable hour. It was nice to get some sleep before this ride. Scheduled to hit the road the next morning at 6a.

Had to detach my rack to put my new/used Ortleib dry saddlebags on. Thanks to our very own inmate, Neiltkool. Since I wanted to keep them tight against Jack for a tighter profile, I had to keep them forward off the pipe...

My load was top heavy on my Grand Canyon ride last October. So now after distributing some of the weight to the lower saddlebags, Jack handled like his old self. These bags are a perfect width for my liking. Not too wide. Also after strapping them tightly to the passenger footpeg brackets, they stayed in place.

My little angel, Alana, woke up early to give me one last hug...

I send good Trip-Karma your way just cuz our daughters share the same name!

And I hope one day they both do their own wrenching too.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Mines almost 5 now.
demetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Always great reports - short or long!

Alana to her friends..."I've got the coolest mom ever!"
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,206
I always look forward to your Ride Reports. Lots more pictures please!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #11
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 209
OK, Another Nicomama ride report..... I'm in.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
I ride/commute on PCH from westside to ventura county

subscribed!
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Ta da!

Been waiting anxiously for this!

So far, so good.

Let's see, some people get to grow up in California, in the sunshine, near a castle, and looking at the Blue Pacific (mentioning no names). Some people get to grow up in the Canadian prairies, near some cows and wheat fields, looking at the muddy Red River. (Again, mentioning no names ...)

Oh well, at least Winnipeg had lots of sunshine too ... just -40 degrees sunshine.

The new skid plate looks really, really sharp!

Can't wait for the next installment.

rw
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama

In the shot you'll notice my latest prototype, my new Rugged Rider DRZ skid plate...

In this last shot, you can see the hex bolts attaching the plate to the factory side mounts. The side mounting avoids bolt heads from getting sheered off the bottom and avoids vibrational noise by keeping the plate off the bottom rails.

If any of you are familiar with Mike Tonn of Tonn's Racing, his skid plate also mounted this way.

You can get additional specs off the product page of my website.

Hey Nico....good to see you are still at it.

Bout time someone finally copied Tonn's design. I feel his is the best design out there, since the bolts are not subject to impacts or being sheared off, from being exposed. Not that I wanted his design copied...but if there was one to copy out there, might as well be the best one out there.

Now if you really wanna come out with a good product, IMO...make a nice set up for for putting on a round headlight like you have on your bike. I have an SV650 round headlight that is gonna go on in the near future as well. I'll end up fabbing my own design up...as soon as I design it. LOL
A nice aluminum set of side clamps, that mount nicely to the forks, are are in the $60-$80 range pricepoint would probably be a hot ticket. Food for thought.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 465
Alright guys, it's not fun without you!

Thanks for all the viewer support.

Gadgetboy, thanks for being the first to view. Your wish is my command. I will keep it comin'.

Ppfeifer, so far my kickstand hasn't had any problems with the load. But because I lowered the bike, I did have to cut off close to 2" from it in the middle of my Grand Canyon trek last October...

Try Just Gas Tanks for the Aqualine Safari 17 liter tank dealer on the West Coast.

Serbchaser, yeah, I was worried that this sun would cause a little jealousy with my East coast buddies

Aztom, I used to bike on PCH, too. Bicycles or motorcycles, LA does have its perks.

Rangerrat, thanks for the compliment on my writing style. I have a real ball writing up these reports. As for the camera, I carry two. So far, the photos you have seen come from my Nikon D40 slr digital camera. It's the lower end digital for Nikon, so it's relatively affordable. The second one is my "motion" point and shoot, the Olympus Stylus Tough, which is 6.5' shockproof and 33' waterproof. I keep that one on a laniard around my neck to get those action drive-by shots.

Phisig1071, yep, this trip sure was a blast.

Demetri, how about this for an additional wild parallel between us. Not only do our daughters share the same name, but my 5 year old son's name is Dimitri (old Greek family name). Ha!

Scflyer, it's funny you quote what my daughter might say about me. But, I have to tell you that she is begging me to bring my bike to career day and tell the kids what I do. When she tells them what my job is, designing motorcycle parts and going on motorcycle rides, they answer, "that's not work!" And, boy do I agree!!!!!

McJamie, And, I always look forward to these rides! More pics a comin'.

KsRyder, hold on.

Fast4d/Alan, you have a nice commute. Do you ever take the coast route for some nice scenery?

Rwpeebles/Richard, cows and wheatfields are nice. I kept wanting to take pictures of cows this whole trip, especially one of a little calf nursing, but my motion camera was out of juice at that time. Beauty is all relative anyway. But, you're right, I was sure blessed to be able to call this home. My dad worked his tail off to get us there. Looking out over that ocean as a teenager sure helped me solve all the world's problems ; )

Motorrad-Carlsbad, your test worked. Stay tuned.

nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote