Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Curryinahurry OP
Born 2 Ride

Oddometer: 527
Planning a trip in June CZ, Hungary, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Croatia, Bosnia

G'day Everybody

I am from Australia and I plan to tour Central Europe this year.

I have already posted in the "Regional Forums" but just saw the "Trip Planning".

Hence giving the link here as well....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542389

I would love feedback fromthe locals in these areas on good roads/off roads to go through, places to see, things to do....

I have already been through Germany, Austria, Italy and Swiss (just the Alps)... I Love countryside more than cities/museums, etc...

Hope to hear more from you all!!

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD
2005 - Yamaha R1 (Disappeared into thin air!!)

Curryinahurry screwed with this post 02-01-2010 at 01:10 PM
Curryinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Here are just my c/p from other thread

Here are few RR which can help you throught Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia... anyway, Balkan area .

Bosnia & Croatia (off) Road Trippin'

Back to Bosnia

Dalmatia - South of Croatia in pics......

Rough Guide to a bit of Slovenia, Croatia & Bosnia

Germany to Croatia

Bosnia & Montenegro revisited

By Futura to Istanbul. And beyond?

Croatia - Bosnia - Montenegro - Albania - Kosovo and back

Dubrovnik, Međugorje, Mostar, Sarajevo

Well, I don't know what excatlly you would like to see (towns, museums...) but if have enohgt time when you will be on trip, from my point of view I will suggest you this places to visit:

SLOVENIA

Bled lake
www.bled.si/en/

Capital city Ljubljana:
www.ljubljana-tourism.si

Cave of Postojna:
www.postojnska-jama.si

Medieval centre of Ptuj:
www.ptuj-tourism.si

CROATIA

Dubrovnik (south of Croatia):
www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english

Plitvice Lake national park (in central part of Croatia):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plitvic..._National_Park

On croatian coast there are lots of old roman towns which is worth to visit. Split, Šibenik, Zadar...

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Capital city Sarajevo:
www.sarajevo.ba/en/

In very center of Sarajevo you MUST eat local food called ČEVAPI or ČEVAPČIĆI. There is no english word for this, but is looks:

In Balkan area is very popular to dring a beer. We have lots of beers, but mainly in Slovenia you shoud dring Laško, in Croatia you should dring Karlovačko and in Bosnia you shoud dring Sarajevsko beer.

Hope I help you.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
ZeroBid
out on loan

Oddometer: 15
My wife and I got married in Croatia last summer. While there we had
a chance to do a bit of riding in two areas: along the Adriatic coast and across the island of Hvar.
The coast is tremendous. We rode part of the only 2 lane coastal highway, the Jadranska magistrala that links Dubrovnik in the south to Split and
beyond in the north (about 150 miles). The road tracks the coastline and is
elevated enough to provide a view of the adriatic and the small towns betweenthe highway and the sea. On the other side of the highway are the Dinaric Alps that parallel the coastline and crest at 8500ft, they provide an amazing backdrop from the beach. The magistrala is a typical two lane road, white stripe divided. All types of curves: ascending, descending, tight and sweeping. Road condition very good to excellent, no gravel, no potholes, minor guardrails on curves only, can be a steep drop if missed...it's sad that we saw quite a few memorials posted at tight curves where it seems people had accidents. Traffic is fine except for the weekends when everyone in Croatia seems to be traveling to or from the coast.
After exploring coast, it's easy ferry ride to one of the nearby islands. We
chose Hvar. Cars and mbikes ok on many ferry lines. Hvar is another stunning scenic place, both coast and inland. Even better is the ride from the ferry dropoff in Sucuraj on the east end across the island to old Hvar town on the west. Its only 50 miles, but could take an hour and a half. The main attraction is the stretch of road that tracks the mountain about 30min in. It is pure twists and turns on a tight two-lane edge-of-mountain road. The road surface is in good to vg condition, no potholes/patches, but there is no shoulder and no railing in most parts. Forget about accurate speed signage. Most drivers will move aside to allow passing and we witnessed zero road rage. The view is great, down to seaside inlets or across to the mainland mountain ranges in the distance. Traffic was light during the week, maybe a bit more on the weekends but generally it seems pretty sparse. It was a real joy to ride this road.
One unsuspected hazard that got us were bees. With many vineyards and a couple honey farms along the route, there were more than a few stinging insects out.
Hvar and the coast appeared to have a lot of off-road possibilities. Especially in Hvar there were a good number of readily accessible dirt roads that were in the open…an exploration for the next trip.
We'll be spending a decent amount of time over there in the coming summers, so we hope to see a few adv-ers over there.
Michael
ZeroBid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Curryinahurry OP
Born 2 Ride

Thanks!!

Thanks for the information Street and Zero!!!

I have read most of those Ride reports....

I just love riding around and discovering new and off the beaten track places.

Hence looking for the Inmates experiences and routes here for inspiration....

I like the ideas and routes suggested so far....

Keep it coming!!

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD
Old 01-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,801
I did something similar to the route you're planning last year.

I reckon you're gonna have a hell of a good time but it's gonna be better if you call it central europe and not eastern ;p different region. Some (not all) people I've met can get touchy. It's a bit like calling Canadians Americans, or Aussies Kiwis ;p.

I'd also suggest you try and get to Albania and Monte Negro, 2 awesome countries that are in the same region.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Curryinahurry OP
Born 2 Ride

Ooops!!

G'day Cat!

Mate... I did not know about that!!

In today's Politically Correct world!!

I am sorry EMEA Inmates.... I did not know this....

Now corrected....

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD
Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
istankov
photographing your vision

Oddometer: 46
The best road is to go along croatian, montenegrin and albanian coast, then "climb" to macedonia and go to Serbia....

Suggestion for this part of your trip are>

- Croatian coast is perfect for sightseeing. Suggested places to visit are: Pula, Rijeka, Split, Dubrovnik, and many other small towns along "old" road. Try to avoid highway. It is almost 500km long and have to catch feeling of Dalmatia. I would like to stay in some small city with soul. Sugestions are small ex fishing villages called Kastel (kastel sucurac, kastel stari...). Ask where to go to restaurant and eat "brudet" (local fish dish)

- Bosnia... I don't know how to descirbe it. Mixture of all cultures. It would be shame if you don't visit some places in Bosnia if you want to feel infulence of east, especialy muslim. The best is to enter from Ploce to Mostar, visit old bridge and old Mostar's casaba (left bank of old town), then drive up to Sarajevo, stay one night visit Baščaršija ( toponimes are hard to pronouce) - taste Ćevapčići (sounds like, but it is not kebab), then go to Foča, drive along national park Sutjeska (even if you are interested for rafting, in Foča you could make half day rafting), then go to Trebinje (very nice town with very good biker's club). Have to taste local milk products. From Trebinje, back to Dubrovnik, then to ->

- Montenegro, the best of the best is driving along Bay of Boka Kotorska: Herceg Novi, Risan, Perast, Kotor. Then go to Budva, Petrovac, Bar and Ulcinj. There is just 180 km of road along coast. Once when you enter to the Bay Of Kotor, you could stay here for life :) This is the southern most fjord in Europe. Especialy interesting is Kotor with fortress. Places to stay in Montenegro are cheaper than Croatian. If you need more info on Motnenegro drop me mesage. From Montenegro, you could go to ->

- Albania is something even different. It was forgoten country during mid of last century, but nowdays it is growing rapidly. They have got very nice roads along the coast. Coast is much flatter than this rocky and mountain in Croatia and especialy Montenegrin. Albania is good connected to ->

- Macedonia. South Macedonia (greek folks, sorry I know, I know... but) is very nice country with many differences and contrast. You would be pleased with country itself. Probably you will go to lake Ohrid, with old town Ohrid, then along road to capital Skoplje. From Macedonia I would like to go to ->

- Serbia. I would suggest you to go to Niš. Niš is on crossroad of all paths. so you can choose if you go to Bulgaria, north to Serbia and Hungary, or back to Bosnia, Croatia... Suggest to contact local biker's club, because they will help you with your further trip. Niš to Belgrade is connected by highway, but my oppinion is to avoid and drive trough eastern Serbia, or from Niš to Sofia (~120km). From Belgrade, you can go to north part of Croatia (highway to Zagreb), or to Hungary (highway to Subotica - border - Szeged)
istankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Curryinahurry OP
Born 2 Ride

Thumb Thanks Mate

Thanks Istankov for all your feedback.

I would love to see more and more places around there like Macedonia, Romania, Montenegro, Bulgaria, etc.

But I have to be practical as well... I have only 25 days for this trip.

I am arriving in Prague on 06.06.2010 and leaving Prague on 30.06.2010.

So, If i do have time, I will plan and visit all these places. Thanks a lot for your advice mate... I will keep it in mind....

I just found that I do not need visa for any of these planned countries except Slovakia. So am applying for my Visa this month...

Keep the ideas flowing people..... and thanks a lot for all your feedback

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD
Old 03-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
BiHRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Gday. Thats a good trip coming up. istankov vbmenu_register("postmenu_12277634", true); is giving you some good advice on the western balkans ... its a wild place and plenty of off road too. I can advise on off road tracks in Bosnia [good macadam roads, not too gnarly but great wilderness] and if you run through sarajevo let me know. Give me a shout if you want info. Rob
Old 03-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Curryinahurry OP
Born 2 Ride

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHRooster
Gday. Thats a good trip coming up. istankov vbmenu_register("postmenu_12277634", true); is giving you some good advice on the western balkans ... its a wild place and plenty of off road too. I can advise on off road tracks in Bosnia [good macadam roads, not too gnarly but great wilderness] and if you run through sarajevo let me know. Give me a shout if you want info. Rob
Thanks Rob!! You are a Champion Mate!!

I will let you know....

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD