ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #1
atlthrux OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 153
SE rentals???

Are there any places that rent ds bikes w/in 2hrs of Atl? I havent been off road since highschool (many moons ago). I want to try a couple of different bikes & sitting on them at dealerships isn't cutting it. A fellow rider mentioned a place in passing recently, but I can't remember what he said. Also, I know about durhamtown, but they don't rent what I want to try (drz,dr,klr, etc).
atlthrux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
SuchesRider
Just Do It!
 
SuchesRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 1,672
Riders Hill outside of Dahlonega on Hwy 60 rents KLR 650s. That is the only place I know of besides Durhamtown and Highland Park. The folks at Riders Hill are great to work with. Ask for David. Hope this helps. SR
__________________
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
SuchesRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,834
I think there is a place near Tellico at the base of the Cherohala that rents KLR's also, but I can't remember the name.

Edit: Found them - http://www.cherohalacyclerental.com/ or http://www.thundermountainnc.com/store.html
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 06:05 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,834
Also, these guys rent SM's in the N. GA area. Not quite Dual Sport, but only place that I know rents bikes like the DRZ and the KTM. Not sure what else they have - http://actionmotoadventures.com/index.html
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?
 
Mike Honcho's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: 90 MPH down a dead end road...
Oddometer: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Also, these guys rent SM's in the N. GA area. Not quite Dual Sport, but only place that I know rents bikes like the DRZ and the KTM. Not sure what else they have - http://actionmotoadventures.com/index.html
Now that sounds like a good time! I have always wanted to try out a SM and for the price....
__________________
The secret to a long relationship: Keep the fights clean and the sex dirty.

Mike Honcho screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 07:23 PM
Mike Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
atlthrux OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 153
Thanks for the tips! I'll check'em out.
atlthrux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion
 
Wanderer13's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Matthews, NC
Oddometer: 338
Probably too far away, but Blue Strada Tours in Charlotte, NC rents Vstrom 650's.
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie
 
coop74's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Alcoa, TN
Oddometer: 2,192
Townsend TN

There is a place in Townsend TN that rents KLR650. The advantage it might have over starting in Atlanta is that the airport is 40 minutes or less away and the dual sport riding potential is all around it.

The company is called GSMmotorent and the number is 865-448-6090. The owner lives next door to the shop and in the slow time is likely to go ride with you sometimes if you want.

There is also a pretty active group of riders here that could probably be talked into showing you around too. (does not take much to get us to go ride).

PM me if you want more details. I think his website is the same as his shop name.

Coop
__________________
Robert "Coop" Cooper
Vstrom 1K
KLR650
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
atlthrux OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 153
highland park

I've been meaning to follow-up on my initial inquiry. We visited Highland Park resort and had a great visit. Ultimately, the bikes they rent aren't the ones for me at this point. There's a variety of terrain & rental bikes. Many friendly riders to help get our bikes back on the trail, and the staff was pretty lenient in assessing damages (bent handlebar--doh). Anyway, I highly recommend the place if you're looking for some trails & rentals in a controlled environment. [I'm not affiliated w/ highland park in any fashion.]
atlthrux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlthrux
I've been meaning to follow-up on my initial inquiry. We visited Highland Park resort and had a great visit. Ultimately, the bikes they rent aren't the ones for me at this point. There's a variety of terrain & rental bikes. Many friendly riders to help get our bikes back on the trail, and the staff was pretty lenient in assessing damages (bent handlebar--doh). Anyway, I highly recommend the place if you're looking for some trails & rentals in a controlled environment. [I'm not affiliated w/ highland park in any fashion.]
HP is awesome. My wife and I have season passes out there and through the winter we were pretty much there every weekend for 12 straight weeks. Now with the nicer weather, we've been enjoying our street bikes, but we are still out there a lot.

Curious, what bikes did you rent? HP definitely favors the smaller lighter bikes.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
atlthrux OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 153
I got the ktm 450 xcw(?), the largest orange thing they had. And my boys got ttr125s. I settled on the 450 b/c I'm tall/heavy, but it was certainly more than I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
HP is awesome. My wife and I have season passes out there and through the winter we were pretty much there every weekend for 12 straight weeks. Now with the nicer weather, we've been enjoying our street bikes, but we are still out there a lot.

Curious, what bikes did you rent? HP definitely favors the smaller lighter bikes.
atlthrux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlthrux
I got the ktm 450 xcw(?), the largest orange thing they had. And my boys got ttr125s. I settled on the 450 b/c I'm tall/heavy, but it was certainly more than I needed.
Yeah any 450 out there is pretty big. I really enjoy the KTM 250XCF which is a 250 4T and pretty much a sweet bike out there. The 250 & 300 2T are nice also. I ride a GasGas 300 and my wife rides a KX100.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014