Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #31
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2mk3
does that bike only have forward controls??? or is my eye missing the rear ones?

I think you're right. Somehow it doesn't really look comfortable this way. Nice bike though!

Our Virago has made some progress to. We had it running with that Opel Carb (and it sounds fantastic!):

We've ordered a low pressure fuel pump. Turned out they're readily available and reasonably inexpensive.
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:17 AM   #32
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
On the infamous Virago starter, there are multiple problems and thus multiple fixes. Here are two I dealt with.

First fix, get the planetery ring gear welded to the part that holds it originally in a press fit. This v-shaped press fit did not hold long term and thus the ring gear would spin. The sun gear spins, the planet gears spin(attached to the "bendix") but the ring gear should not spin.

Second, the starter body is made up of two-ends with a middle cylinder all clamped together with two long bolts. The rear end cap bolts to the engine while the front cap just rides in an o-ring sealed port into the case. The whole starter will twist due to the torque being applied through the starter body all the way from the gear end to the other end where it's bolted to the case. The plate where the brushes are located has tabs that engage the body/end cap and keep them from rotating with respect to one another. These tabs will not necessarily hold against the torque and thus the starter body rotates resulting in binding, reducing the power available to actually spin the engine. Inspect these tabs and make them as prominent as possible by bending and filing good edges into them and the engagement points.

I also was never able to get the starter back on with the spring clamp on the end without taking off the side cover. I tried many times to get it back in through the starter hole but wasn't able to.

Those are some starter issues I remember from my ownership of an '82 XV750 back in the early '90s. I was never able to get the starter to function in top shape for more than a few thousand miles of small city commuting. Other than the starter, that bike was extremely reliable and because a push start makes the starter not entirely necessary, it never left me stranded. Something about the weight distribution/CG made it feel very stable even on soft ground or packed snow. One of these days, I'd like to get another for "good old days" reasons I suppose. Then I will likely realize how bad it really was...

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #33
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket
Here. Have some more motivation:

Here's another take on the rear fender:

Old 03-31-2010, 12:26 PM   #34
G2mk3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIOB

what about maybe using a cable to actuate the rear brake? it looks good bringing that tank so far down. more pics?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #35
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
I have a silver/black '82 XV920RJ (the red '81 was the RH) that I've owned since '89. Third owner. I've put about 30,000 miles on it and would have done more but it has sat for a few different spells for different reasons (job, home renovation, injury, procrastination). It's going to come out from under wraps again this year for rehab and more riding. Shoulder surgery yesterday is my excuse this time, but it's a damn good one.

When I first saw the magazine cover of the red '81 I knew it was the bike for me, but I took my time getting one. As late as '88 I found a new '82 in a North Carolina dealership but had just bought a house and had to pass on that one. Women just don't understand some things.

The horror stories you may have heard about the starter (same setup as the shaft-drive Virago) are not exaggerated, embellished or fabricated. Yamaha blew it on this one and the original setup takes a lot of TLC (sounds better than "screaming and tool throwing") to get right. One fellow in PA suggests retrofitting the later '86-and-up sidecover and other parts and this might be worth pursuing.

When the stock pipes finally rust out you'll have a tough time finding OEM or other replacements. MAC makes a great 2-into-1 for a reasonable price, and it would be worth getting it ceramic coated for longevity. Gazbike in Wales makes a gorgeous stainless 2-into-2 that is probably not overpriced for what you get. Pipes for the Virago from Jardine and others might fit but shorty dumps don't look right on the R bike.

I have digital pix of mine but have not been able to post, despite repeated attempts and readings of the instructions. Any input would be welcome if you're interested in seeing them. When I do get back to working on it I will document the process. Cheers!
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #36
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,064
Send me the pix to popsicle16 AT gmail D0T com, and I will host them for ya.
Highside>Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #37
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Going back to the original question on this thread...I bought a 1982 XV920 Virago off the showroom floor on April 22, 1982...when new, it was creamy smooth, however, I noticed that every 400-500 miles, I had to adjust the valves...it got buzzy on me...and I noticed that the valve clearances weren't increasing, they were decreasing! All I could figure is that the valve seats were sinking into the heads... What a hassle when I took the thing on a 3000 mile trip to Washington state and back...sold it after owning it a year and a half...

Nice bike other than that...easy to do the valves, only hassle was taking the tank off, and that wasn't too bad...but why should anybody have to do that so often?
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #38
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Highside>Lowside, thanks for the offer but I'd like to learn to post them here. I have other pix for other threads if I can ever get it together. Must the pix go to someplace like Picasa or Smugmug? I'd like to upload directly to the post since I'd probably just be doing singles.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #39
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpism
Highside>Lowside, thanks for the offer but I'd like to learn to post them here. I have other pix for other threads if I can ever get it together. Must the pix go to someplace like Picasa or Smugmug? I'd like to upload directly to the post since I'd probably just be doing singles.

Yes, you need to have a photo hosting site. Smugmug and ADVRider have the same owner so I'd suggest you sign up with them.

I have one like you, I'm struggling right now with the starter upgrade on mine.

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #40
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
I like this thread. It's like a tasteful customization verus tasteless, all in the same page

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #41
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
xv920 on raleigh nc CL for $150. no affiliation.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #42
G2mk3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inane Cathode
It's like a tasteful customization verus tasteless, all in the same page
I've been working toward tasteless myself
Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #43
Inane Cathode
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2mk3
I've been working toward tasteless myself
Naw, dude. That's tasteful.

Just so you know, gl500 fork spring sets fit those forks they're quite a bit stiffer, but progressive from the factory.

Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #44
G2mk3
Gnarly Adventurer

So gl500 goldwing fork springs fit my xj900r forks? ........

Are there specific years I should look for?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #45
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,586
Bump time.

I've got mine starting like a regular motorcycle now.
I replaced the case covers, stator, and starter along with the 'plunger' solenoid from a 1986 XV700 Virago.

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote