User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2005, 02:53 AM   #46
Jaakkima
Bumbelbeetuna

Oddometer: 68
Havent seen Horcoff play this season.
I have seen some stats that had Russia as the biggest importer of NHL players. They are mostly russian and tsech players.

Somebody mentioned Esa Tikkanen earlier. He´s now player/coach in (if I remember correcly) South Korea.

Just heard on the news. They are negotiating again. That would make for an extremely short season. Would be interesting to see how quickly they could start playing.
IBA #18048

Jaakkima screwed with this post 02-19-2005 at 03:37 AM
Jaakkima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:15 PM   #47
IcyDeath
Óglaigh na hÉireann

Oddometer: 20,852
Esa Tikkanen (my favorite player of all time) is playing in South Korea of all places.

Nobody understood Tikkanese here, in Finland, Sweden, Norway or Germany... how the hell are the Koreans gonna understand him?
IcyDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #48
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,357
Quote:
New World Hockey Association
The old World Hockey Association (WHA) merged into the National Hockey League (NHL) in 1979. But in 2003, Allan Howell and Dr. Nick Vaccaro announced the formation of the new World Hockey Association. Former WHA star Bobby Hull (the first major star to play in the old WHA) is its commissioner.

The new league may spawn many problems in the NHL, such as another franchise merger, as the Minnesota North Stars and Cleveland Barons did last time there was a rival league. The Pittsburgh Penguins, Edmonton Oilers (who played in the old WHA), and Phoenix Coyotes (the old WHA's Winnipeg Jets) are all possible teams for a merger, since they are all teetering on the brink of financial existence. Also, many players, such as the Philadelphia Flyers' Jeremy Roenick have considered the new league as an alternative to NHL hockey during the player lockout. The timing of the new WHA has led to accusations of vulture marketing by critics.

Some accepted cities, like Quebec City, had a WHA franchise in the 1970s. Fans are suggesting that those cities retain the old names. But problems may occur in this because some trademark owners may not approve use of the name or because the NHL owns the trademark (as in Quebec City's case). On August 27, it was announced (http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/news/media_releases/media_082704.htm) that the Quebec city francise was terminated.

On July 17 and July 18, 2004, the league conducted a draft. Each of 8 teams drafted 30 NHL and AHL free agents and 30 entry-level players. Simon Gagne was the first player drafted. The teams participiating in the draft were:
Think there is any reality behind these guys?

Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:51 AM   #49
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace
I'd love to see the WHA come back. The NHL is sick, and if it doesn't fix itself over the summer, it'd be best to kill it ASAP and pick up the pieces before next winter. The WHA was a pretty cool league and if it allows some small but devoted markets to get back into professional hockey (Quebec City, Winnipeg, etc) then go for it.
Absolutely.

ian
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: