User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
newride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Motorcycling as a meditation

Hope this is the right place to put this: I am sure this has been talked about before.
I am studying mindfullness and forms of meditation in one of my classes and really loving it. I have always found riding a motorcycling as a form of mindfullness and meditation. By mindfulness here I mean "Moment to moment, non-judgemental awareness, the direct, non-conceptual knowing of experience as it unfolds.......(John Kabat Zinn) Basically, just observing life as it happens and not get wrapped up in it.
So, ADV riders, I need your help writing a grad level paper. I am looking for feed back from folks on their experience of riding. My question is: What is it about riding that brings you peace?
If I can use your words and translate them in my paper (I will absolutley PM you for your persmission) in a line or two, I would be greatful.

I also plan to create or link to the region I am in (boston) to see if folks in my area would be willing to go out for drink to chat about the subject. A kind of laid back interview. Beers on me of course.

I am not soliticing, making any money, or publishing a paper........maybe lol.
I love this subject and look forward to writing about it!

Thank you all for any words of wisdom.
Jeremy
PS-mods let me know if this at all is inappropriate.

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/

newride screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 05:06 AM Reason: updating
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
pegrider
Bluegrass Outlaw

Oddometer: 95
Riding a motorcycle a speed, especially on a curvy road, is a very focused experience.

There can only be three components in the mind: You, the motorcycle, and the riding line.

The process is quite simple: Become one with the motorcycle -- Ride the line.

"It is the journey, in the end."
pegrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
vermin
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 540
dang

i have tried it but everytime i get my legs folded up just right i come to a corner and go shooting off into a cornfield

me a jackass,

vermin
vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
First things i can think about:

The need of focus your mind and thoughts on the process of riding

Specially in long rides i love the continuous sound of the engine or the wind if the bike is silent, that really makes me calm, from time to time i like to sing in those moments and it makes look like everything is perfect.
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
Reg Kittrelle
Rider

Oddometer: 90
Fascinating subject, Jeremy.

Focus is the key component in riding successfully.
Risk exercise puts the body at an alert stage, which causes certain physiological changes. The positive part of this is that it focuses the mind. On the negative side, it can disrupt a normal breathing pattern and cause an adrenal and endorphin surges which impedes smooth operation.

For me, to attain the necessary mental state, I need to consciously relax and control my breathing. Now here's the controversial part. I find that I am the most focused and the most relaxed when traveling at a high rate of speed.

At lower speeds my mind tends to wander, and is easily distracted by non-essentials, e.g. scenery, people, etc. To ride safely at these speeds I need to discipline myself on a regular basis.

As my speed increases (relative to the road ridden) my 'focus cone' narrows to the pointy end. Visual acuity increases and distractions fade away. I've noted several times that when I'm riding a winding road at high speeds my heart rate and breathing are in a seemingly relaxed state. I say "seemingly" because it is actually an altered state which can change instantly if the situation warrants, such as gravel in a turn, a deer jumping out, etc. It is a conundrum of sorts in that at my most relaxed state I am but an instant from full alert.

It's also important to note that this status develops as a result of many years of riding experience. That is, just going fast on a mountain road does not lead to a beatific smile and a just-barely pulse rate.

A side benefit to this is that (for me) this focused status clears all of my mind, not just the portions required to ride. I then find that solutions to issues that had been bothering me often readily surface at the ride's end.

Recall one of the early Star wars movies... there's a scene wherein Luke is threading his fighter through a maze on the surface of the Death Star. He's nervous until the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi focuses him with, "Let the force be with you, Luke."

For a rider, that "force" is his skill and experience. Acknowledge it and use it, and the ride becomes a form of meditation.
Reg Kittrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
I've said it before but I'll say it again: as humans we're always planning ahead, thinking about the future. However when I ride my motorcycle I exist only in the now. I guess that the psychologically best way to describe it is that we enter a flow like state where not much more exists than the road, the motorcycle and us. It's a common conception that mediation is to occupy your frontal lobes with a task so that the rest of the brain can find peace, I find that this very much holds true for riding a motorcycle.

I also find that taking a ride helps keep my mental sanity in check, the woes of everyday life go away and I feel liberated from any pressing needs. Not seldom I also find that I have some solutions to some of my problems at the end of a ride even though I haven't been actively thinking about finding such solutions.

Oh - and except all this mumbo jumbo it's also pretty fun

No need to ask permission, steal as much as you like.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
I suffer from PTSD and have found riding to be a marvellous escape, the focus needed excludes just about all other thought, my bike is a two wheeled therapist in a way that a car just can never be.

Stewart
Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Definitely an interesting subject..

For me it is the concentration that is necessary to process everything that is going on around me seems to focus me in on what is happening in that particular moment in time, to the exclusion of all of the extraneous thoughts that normally float through my mind. The sounds of the engine and the wind seem to help also.
I find this to the extremely peaceful, relaxing and liberating.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Reg Kittrelle
Rider

Oddometer: 90
Interesting thing for me is that I can only rarely achieve this level of serenity without there being risk involved.
Reg Kittrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
RudyBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by newride
My question is: What is it about riding that brings you peace?
Personally, I wouldn't say motorcycling brings me peace. Track down a copy of Mihaly Csíkszentmihályi's book "Flow" and give that a study. A sample sentence:

"After an enjoyable event we know that we have changed, that our self has grown: in some respect, we have become more complex as a result of it."

With that as a preface, rather than peace, I instead find satisfaction in riding as it requires me to develop and then implement a specialized set of skills. It allows me to confront something that is potentially dangerous and learn how to make it safe(er). While challenging routes do force me to focus my attention (some would call this meditation, but I do not), other sections of the road find my mind wandering, daydreaming. Being somewhat ADD, I do enjoy the sections that require great focus - such rides require what I call a "fighter pilot" like awareness, constantly monitoring everything around me, anticipating what might or will happen around the next corner.

I practice meditation, and I have read many of the books on the subject of mindfulness. But I don't find a meditative state while riding a motorcycle. After a good ride I return home somewhat fatigued, but fully satisfied. Perhaps it is a matter of definition, and maybe for some it is one and the same, but for me riding is more of a "flow" experience as described by Csíkszentmihályi, and not so much a "peace" experience as described by Kabat-Zinn.

Peace,

Scott
Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Motopapillon
Eppur si muove

Oddometer: 315
Interesting topic, Jeremy. As you can see, you are not the only motorcyclist to think of riding as a meditation exercise. Riding fast and well necessarily puts you in the present moment utterly focused on the task at hand. I remember when I got my first fast (to me) road bike, quite a few years ago, I would come up to the stop sign at an intersection and for a moment or two have no idea where I was. Everything looked new and strange. This in my own neighborhood, where I had lived for years, on roads I had driven hundreds of times. I had been so caught up in the moment I forgot where I was. It was a little embarrassing sometimes.

I think that it is true that, as Reg mentioned, you have to be going at speed at close to your limit to reach this state. Just putting along you have time to think about where you'll turn at the next intersection and what you'd like to do this evening. But putting is still good--it's more the style you adopt when touring--more serenity, not quite so much exhilaration.

Ride joyously.

M-P
Motopapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,263
A few years ago in wide open country I rode 130 mph for 15-20 minutes. When I stopped the sensation was very much the same as after 40-60 minutes of meditation/yoga. Perception, attention, & focus with a neuro-chemical result. One of the two is obviously more convienant and safer, too.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
RudyBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT track down a copy of Mihaly Csíkszentmihályi's book "Flow".

He is too full of himself. Unless you like it when someone takes something simple and makes it overly complicated I would not recommend reading his works.
?????? To each their own I suppose. "Overly complicated?" Compared to what book on this and similar topics? In any event, I obviously had the opposite reaction - interesting, and worth going through to find those ideas that sync with what's going on in your world at that time.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyBoy
?????? To each their own I suppose.
Don't mind me and please don't take my critique personal. I am glad you enjoyed his writing even if I did not care for it (or some of his other works).

The word "Flow" is a good word for describing a good ride.

Thus the term: "Smooth is Fast"

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-11-2010 at 03:55 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
fancyindigo
schmancy...fancy

Oddometer: 1,158
I have enjoyed all I have read so far - and can relate! I especially relate to the "cone of focus". When I am riding slower, I too find that my mind wanders and I am still "in my head" - still thinking about the comment so and so made, what I want for dinner, a different technique to try with a patient next time, or...so on and so on. However, when I am riding hard, that all disappears. I no longer delineate the difference between myself and the bike. My focus is sharp and clear and singularly minded - experiencing what unfolds before me. When I am riding trails - I don't notice how focused I have been until I get to the top of the mountain and THEN realize how hard I am breathing and sweating. When I am riding street I feel what I can only describe as a quiet exhiliaration - calm yet hyper-alert; muscles relaxed but expectant.

I do find it to be a form of meditation, and it definitely brings me joy and peace. (I am sure all the neurochemical changes help out a bit, too.)

I have also shared the experience of riding with something pressing on my mind/heart. And, somehow, by riding hard and NOT thinking about it - the answer appears...

Really interesting question... Looking forward to other's responses.
fancyindigo is offline   Reply With Quote