Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
I'd be tempted to assume that it's still running too tight. I'd try as per above, with the fat guys on it, (or remove the shock) and see what you have for slack at various points of suspension travel to be sure it doesn't tighten up near the end of the swing. Those suspension links may make a difference in slack...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
fordjd1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question A finger on a can of Bel-Ray Super Clean works well

I tried a couple of solutions on my V-Strom 1000 and what works best is my finger on a can of Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube. The way I look at this situation is you'd better look at your bike every 500 miles or so anyway, what's 3-5 min spinning the wheel on the center stand?
Birds - 0
Squirrels - 0
fordjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #18
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
in my owners klr manuel there was nothing bout alining the chain..tension yes. it's pretty easy to do,and god knows there's a sh*t load of tools tha tsome supplyer is more than willing to sell you. but if you just get behind the bike and sight down the chain. the idea is to make sure the chain is runnung straight as it passes over the sprockets. if it isn't then adjust. the stamped axel marks are usually off, so don't count on them unless if your happy with your current relation ship with the chain supplyer
the_gr8t_waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #19
Powerslave
n00by tires that would be

Oddometer: 315
Good timing....

I'm sort of in the same boat. My chain makes serious crunchy noises (at ~ 21k mi) - bad enough now I can no longer ignore it. I've been a big idiot and adjusting my chain on the centerstand (Doh!) to the lose side (1.2") of the specs. IF I remember correctly this makes it even looser when i measure on the side stand.....maybe too lose a chain is bad too. I'm not suffering 14K but I thought I would get longer. Sprockets look ok to me but the side to side slop in the chain seems excessive (whats the tolerance/limit on this). Maybe I'll slop more lube on too (that's what she said). Last time i measured the stretch it was ok.....but crunchy crunchy crunchy.

Without trying to highjack (I have no bombs in my shoes).

1) Does anyone use a "heavyweight oil" to lube their chain (like 5w-30 or so - I see ATF mentioned). Got a lot of excess (not old) motor oil - seems like in town why not use this and save the spray for the road? I think the shop I used last time did it this way based on looks......Any ideas on best application? This would similar to oil in the automatic oilers no - or ATF is?

2) Where is best place to get chain, what type etc. Some stuff on ebay but worried on origin / quality.....see vstroma one in earlier post.

3) Any good links to discussions on chain tools etc. (I'll go search.....but still...) last time i changed a chain I was a wee kid popping wheelies (with the aid of the slanted sidewalks) riding the back of my banana seat with a sweet gold flake metallic helmet....grinnin like a MoFo.

4) This site rocks.....

Powerslave screwed with this post 04-12-2010 at 09:55 PM
Powerslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 AM   #20
men8ifr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopapillon
There's a guy, Bill Watson (Mr. Thermo-Bob) over on KLR650.NET who shares his experience in some controlled testing of this idea. You might find it a good read.

M-P
Can you find a llink to that - I can't find it.
men8ifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #21
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Chain lube

The best life you ever got was when you lubed it occupationally with WD40. Sounds like an answer to me, lots of folks use it with success. Two things will kill a chain in short order. Make sure it isn't too tight and change the sprockets at the same time or the new chain will wear super fast. Too loose doesn't matter unless you get to the point where it will derail. Remember you are not really lubing the chain. It is sealed. Keep it clean and rust free and you are golden.

Snip -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
The longest I ever got out of a chain was about 18- or 19,000 miles. It was on a trip through Mexico and Central America where I did a lot of off-road riding, didn't clean it, and used WD40 on the occasions when I remembered to lube it. Basically, that chain got the worst treatment of all my chains, and it lasted easily the longest.

snip
Jamie
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #22
Skurj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Anyone use the pro-oiler?
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #23
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,879
I have a universal kit Scotoiler. It's expensive though and I know you're a budget oriented rider. It works extremely well. I have over 20k on my current chain (I can give you the exact number this evening if you wish) on my VFR and I've had to adjust it ONCE. Thing still looks new.

If you don't want to go the expensive route you can always get a Loobman.
It's the same concept but you'll have to do the squeezing of the oil instead of it being dummy proof (vacuum operated).

Believe me. Once you have a chain-oiler you'll laugh at all the other methods of chain lubrication. I don't care what anyone says about this or that product. Nothing compares to it.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 AM   #24
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,879
Oh, and make sure you get STEEL sprockets when you replace what you have. Aluminum sprockets SUCK.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:50 AM   #25
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,717
I've always used OEM steel sprockets and replaced with the chain...

Chain lubers are expensive. Holy cow.

I ordered a new chain and sprockets yesterday. Not sure yet if I'm going to go the route of an oiler. I'm leaning toward not doing it and just trying to figure out why I keep blowing through chains so quickly.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:48 AM   #26
Skurj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Some of the claims for chain oilers might be an exageration but at up to 7 times the life out of a chain and sprockets... an oiler then looks a lot more reasonable. Even double the lifespan justifies the expense.
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #27
Powerslave

Best place to order?

Quote:
I've always used OEM steel sprockets and replaced with the chain...

Chain lubers are expensive. Holy cow.

I ordered a new chain and sprockets yesterday. Not sure yet if I'm going to go the route of an oiler. I'm leaning toward not doing it and just trying to figure out why I keep blowing through chains so quickly.

Jamie
Which chain did u go with? any idea who has the best prices? I need to order one mañana. Like the price for the vstrom pkg deal but not sure if I wanna go that route.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #28
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave
Which chain did u go with? any idea who has the best prices? I need to order one mañana. Like the price for the vstrom pkg deal but not sure if I wanna go that route.
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/

Or more specifically, http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1037...led-chain.html

Cheapest? I don't know. But I've dealt with Sprocket Center before, and have found good prices and good service.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:27 AM   #29
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Chain

I've heard the V-Strom package is excellent but the chain is ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #30
Powerslave

Quote:
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/

Or more specifically, http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1037...led-chain.html

Cheapest? I don't know. But I've dealt with Sprocket Center before, and have found good prices and good service.

Jamie
Thanks - decent prices (better than what I had found). Gonna order form them.

Going with rivet style but wondering if anyone carries extra "clip style" master on the road or is it worthless as most likely you need the tools to remove a buster master rivet link so might as well have extra link and tools and go that route...guess I just answered my own question...or not.? I know chances of chain failure are extremely low, but if your way out in the boonies.....

Thx