Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #61
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax

Two at -11 right now.
The tournament director wanted the roars back, and he got them.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #62
skwidd
where does this lead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28
I'm glad that Phil won.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
Old 04-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #63
Bert
Fair / Balanced

Oddometer: 56,289
Anthony Kim is going to win a couple of jackets at least before he's done, the kid's got game under pressure.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #64
Catalyst
Explorer

Oddometer: 576
Looks like Ben ended with a great round! Congrats.
Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #65
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,870
To me, the rather stunning contrast between Mickelson and Woods was the story of the weekend.
Mr. Cheater falling short, being erratic, losing his temper. Yeah, he played well overall but wasn't consistent and seemed rattled on more than one occasion. Frustrated. Pissed off. On one hole he'd be gracious, on the next, he was perturbed. Up and down ... erratic.
And his wife wasn't there.
The Guy Who Supports His Wife With Breast Cancer won, playing beautiful golf, not taking the dumb chances he sometimes has in the past.
And his wife was there ... after supposedly spending the week in bed.
When Phil hugged Amy and a tear ran down his cheek after the win, did you choke up too?
I did. Unashamedly.
My g/f likes those stupid "reality shows". I think they're grotesque trash.
"If you want to see real reality TV," I said today as we watched the wrap-up of the Masters, "this is it."
Old 04-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #66
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
The Guy Who Supports His Wife With Breast Cancer won, playing beautiful golf, not taking the dumb chances he sometimes has in the past.
When Phil hugged Amy and a tear ran down his cheek after the win, did you choke up too?
I did. Unashamedly.
Yes, IMHO if you didn't you have no heart.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #67
Deacon OP
Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer: 1,113
The day after

Whew, what an emotional roller coaster for many of the players, family and followers. Yes, I am very glad Phil won and was the focus of the tournament. Ben's last round was amazing. We had talked the night before and his coach had told him to let loose and swing away. I think that is still a difficult concept as his training for the past couple of years has been focused, measured and calculated. The first nine was pretty much the same. No big chances, shoot for par and hope a birdy opportunity shows up. I think he started testing himself on the back 9. By the time he came to 15 you could see a marked difference in his attitude...he was going for it. Instead of laying up like Stricker, Ben's caddie pulled out a 5 utility. He approached the ball, took a few practice swings and handed the club back and took out the 3 wood. He said later that he felt a little better knocking off a bit of the club than charging at the green with the 5. 2nd shot was about 10 feet from the pin, in for birdie.

His step picked up, bigger smiles and a great finish to t24. This is his 3rd Masters but the first for him to make the cut. A great confidence builder.

The "patrons" as the gallery are called were thick as thieves. My past analogy to a snake eating a rat and watching the bulge move down the fairways was even more appropriate Sunday. I think there about 50k tickets for the event and I am sure every one of the was used. I tried to get one for a friend from Portland but no way. When we were leaving the course on Saturday and the leaders were teeing off we were offered as much as $350 for our passes, that equates to about $100 an hour. The Masters has very strict rules about selling or re-selling your passes. If we had sold it to one of their "undercover" ticket purchasers Ben would have lost that ticket for the next season. The same with trying to bring in any electronics, cameras and especially cell phones. As I mentioned before, they scan your ticket as you leave to keep track of when you pass through the gates.

The weather was beautiful, sunny but not too warm and very light breeze. It was a prefect for the final round. The beer, pimento cheese and egg salad sandwiches were flying out of the concessions. It is quite amazing the traffic control, lines for concessions and restroom control. I would guess each of about 6 concession buildings processes 50-75 people a minute with multiple lines and cashiers. Everything except Dove Bars and Snickers are privately wrapped with the Masters logo, even the cheese and crackers are wrapped in Masters wrappers. As I said above, if you bring in water (the only thing you can bring in) the label has to be removed from the bottle. The control of the brand is the strictest I have ever seen.

The line to get into the main gift shop snakes back and forth like Disneyland and bags and bags of product come out the other end with wallets a lot lighter. You cannot buy Masters products any where else, not on line etc. The ONLY place to legitimately purchase is at the National course. It would not surprise me that they would restrict certain purchases that might be viewed as items that would be resold on a secondary market.

The Roar's were back on Sunday, they were like big subwoofers pointed at your chest. The crowds rewarded shots worthy of the cheers but on the other hand, never a negative response or boos. A most civilized group rooting for their favorites and good golf, what a contrast to 16 at TPC Scottsdale. There were sighs and OOO's when that put slid by the hole by mere blades of grass. That gets me back to the greens. Being there and watching on TV is an unmeasurable difference. You CANNOT get a sense of the undulations and dangers on both the fairways and greens. From the TV perspective shooting down on the playing surface flattens out the hillocks, swales, steps and other putt defying geography. I know I would look at putts on the television and ask how they could miss such a putt; 3' straight in was actuall 3 feet with a double break and against the grain. As Ben told me last night, Augusta is won by hitting your approach shots below the hole. You simply cannot expect to make downhill or sidehill putts with any consistency.

A green jacket for Phil, the youngest amateur to make the cut, Tiger turning into a non-event and 47 golfers that earned their weekend in the lime-light through a lot of hard work. I know that walking the course 5 days wore me out just watching. Today is a kick back day, maybe a little sight seeing in Augusta; Catalyst was kind enough to provide us with some things to do and places to see so we will take advantage of that today. We have truly enjoyed being here, watching Ben and the experience of the Masters. Hopefully it will be an experience we can repeat in the future.

Ben is off for a week and then to The Zurich Classic in New Orleans. I know he really appreciates the support of people that follow him. Thanks for reading my ramblings and I hope y'all enjoyed.

Deacon
Old 04-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #68
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,815
Deacon, I kept track of Ben and did root for him and I'm really sorry I haven't said thanks for the report. I felt like i was there. The closest I've ever been to Augusta National was years ago I rode through and took a pic of the entrance.

It's a golfers holy grail to attend, but I'll probably never get the chance. Thanks again and good luck to Ben in the future.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #69
Heymarz
Gaily Retarded

Oddometer: 3,236
Great write up Deacon

I have a couple of questions:

Is there a dress code for the fans?

Is there a printed code of conduct for the fans? Or how do they convey the rules to the fans?

Thanks!
Heymarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #70
skwidd
where does this lead?

There is a free booklet given to all spectators, a spectator guide, probably several hundred of them on fleabay today.
Most surprising to me during the lecture we got from our host, no running on the course.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #71
subvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
Anthony Kim is going to win a couple of jackets at least before he's done, the kid's got game under pressure.
+1

Didn't get to watch as much as I would have liked....getting the big honey-dos' out of the way before the weather turns hot but what I saw was awesome play by many in this year's Masters. So glad to see Phil take it, esp. with the birdie on 18...what a way to end

Deacon: What a treat this must have been for you and I imagine you are very proud of Ben. Great photos by the way!! I'll watch for your posts this time next year.
subvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #72
jonathan walker
Banned

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwidd
There is a free booklet given to all spectators, a spectator guide, probably several hundred of them on fleabay today.
Most surprising to me during the lecture we got from our host, no running on the course.
???
jonathan walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #73
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,387
Quote:
To me, the rather stunning contrast between Mickelson and Woods was the story of the weekend.
Mr. Cheater falling short, being erratic, losing his temper. Yeah, he played well overall but wasn't consistent and seemed rattled on more than one occasion. Frustrated. Pissed off. On one hole he'd be gracious, on the next, he was perturbed. Up and down ... erratic.
I did. Unashamedly.
"If you want to see real reality TV," I said today as we watched the wrap-up of the Masters, "this is it."

I gained a lot of respect and admiration for Phil. I am glad he won. I am glad he has finally overcome his propensity to self destruct. Pardon the pun, it was a masterful performance. The second shot on 13 was incredible. But, one yard shorter and we would have a different story. Applause for him for it turning out the way that it did. I also admire the way he has handled his personal tests. He appears to be a fine man and probably the best golfer out there right now.

Tiger on the other hand has made some immense personal mistakes. He is not alone. We have all been there at some point in our life. Probably not on the huge stage he has to live on, but still he is not alone. His golf game is certainly in trouble at the moment, but who else can you mention that would admit to playing that badly and finish fourth in the Masters? He will be back on top, and I hope he gets his personal life in order.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #74
AA996
Astroglide-physicist

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
I did. Unashamedly.
Sorry, but when Mickelson was runner-up to Payne Stewart at the 1999 US Open in Pinehurst he made a big scene and played the "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" card at a busy restaurant in town. Since then I have not been a fan.
AA996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #75
Deacon OP
Ready, shoot, aim

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymarz
Great write up Deacon

I have a couple of questions:

Is there a dress code for the fans?

Is there a printed code of conduct for the fans? Or how do they convey the rules to the fans?

Thanks!

Yes as said above there is a 40+ page booklet handed to each "patron" upon entering the grounds following the ticket scan. I think the event somewhat polices itself as most of the people attending were dressed in typical private course attire. Collared golf shirts, kahki shorts or pants but you saw the plaids, stripes, seer sucker etc. The women...well that's another story and I will leave that to your imagination.

The only comments I heard from the marshals were to not run and stay inside the painted lines on the fairway crossings. One really cool thing is that you can bring in armless foldable chairs that can be placed up to 5 deep in most places. If they are vacant you can sit in them until the owner comes back and politely informs you that you are using his/her chairs. Always a place to sit around a green etc as long as it was not one of the leading group.

Deacon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: