ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Suggestions wanted: Places to visit in MD, WV, VA, TN, NC

A few buddies and I are planning a 9-day southern moto trip from Philadelphia. I'm hoping to get some suggestions for ANY interesting places to visit along the way....they don't have to be specifically motorcycle related. Museums, national monuments, random/weird shops, and pretty much anything else you can think of that might be worth stopping for.

This is our current route, which we're planning to alter as we add our "places to visit".

Last year, some places we visited included longer visits such as Monmouth Cave tour and Buffalo Trace bourbon tour, and shorter stops such Mike's Mystery House ($2) and the Native American Museum at Deal's Gap.

And, probably most important, I think FOOD really makes or breaks a trip. Please post your recommendations for local, must-stop places to eat. We're hoping to find at least a few places for REAL southern BBQ, as well as other local restaurants. Daily food budget per person on average is probably about $10-20 for lunch, and $15-25 for dinner.

Thanks!!

eSONG screwed with this post 05-07-2010 at 12:12 PM
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Well right off the top of my head...North to South ..
The Mystery Hole in WV.
I seen a post on here last week maybe that they now let you walk across the walk way under the NR Gorge Bridge.
The Coal Mine Museum in Pocahontas, Va. Burkes Garden, Va and there's a kick ass lil place down on 16 that had some killer spiced fried pickles last year but can't remember where exactly.

Hmm also Smoke Hole or Dolly Sods area in WV are worth checking out. Cass, WV has some interesting stuff also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
Well right off the top of my head...North to South ..
The Mystery Hole in WV.
I seen a post on here last week maybe that they now let you walk across the walk way under the NR Gorge Bridge.
The Coal Mine Museum in Pocahontas, Va. Burkes Garden, Va and there's a kick ass lil place down on 16 that had some killer spiced fried pickles last year but can't remember where exactly.

Hmm also Smoke Hole or Dolly Sods area in WV are worth checking out. Cass, WV has some interesting stuff also.
Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming if anyone has any more.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
[EDIT: I forgot to mention - these are WV tips]

I have a few ride reports with photos on my website - almost all street or mild dirt-gravel county roads. Click on My Website in my signature block below and go to the Motorcycle Travel Pages. That might give you a few ideas.

Looks like you are going right by Rellas Restaurant on Rt 20 just below Hacker Valley (about 10-12 miles north of Webster Springs). Just a tiny little trailer, but the lady there cooks up a great meal (with home-made pies ) like you only dream about. I'll add a link as soon as I can find it, so check back. Here's a link - mine is Post #3: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post11927607

Another good riding destination - Green Bank Radio Telescope. Just Google it and you will find plenty.

Take time to stop at Seneca Rocks and climb to the top. (Between Franklin and Petersburg on Rt 33/28/55).

If you're into dirt/gravel rough roads, do Dolly Sods from Cabins over to just above Harman. (Just north of Seneca Rocks) Fill up with gas before you head in.

Other good rides:

Rt 20 from Webster Springs to Rock Cave.

Rt 220 from the VA border north to Petersburg.

Rt 33 from Elkins east to the VA border.

Rt 50 east from Grafton thru the tip of MD and back into WV all the way through the Eastern Panahandle.

So many more that I'm not listing because I'm forgetful. Almost any road east of Elkins/Huttonsville/Summersville will be mountains and curves.

Check back, and I'll add any edits in yellow.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 05-12-2010 at 02:19 PM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
advridgerunner
RESIST WE MUCH !

Oddometer: 1,071
The Natural bridge.

Blue Ridge Parkway.

some caverns of some sort (Luray ?)

1981 CBX (missing it already!)-
advridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,237
Helvetia WV and the Hutte restaraunt-great food!
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks guys for the suggestions so far, keep them coming if you think of any others. i found my mad maps of the mid atlantic region and some good info in the AMA ride guide to america. i'll post up some interesting places if anyone else is interested.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
BurningTime
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cherohala Skyway

I recomend the Cherohala Skyway! A great ride with many other great rides nearby as well. On Telico Plains side is Cherohala Motorcycle resort, where I like to stay.
BurningTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Go here, you will not be disappointed.

Cuz's Restaurant & Cabins
Listed Since:
Route 460
Pounding Mill, Tazewell County, VA 24637
Phone: (276) 964-9014

UNIQUE!!!!!

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Ogribike
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,815
There is the little Museum in Philippi, WV that has mummies, interesting items and information located where US 119 and US 250 cross.

Look at the Twin Valley Riders site for their BBQ thread that covers SW Virginia and some NC BBQ places. You can also find some riding info from their site.

Breaks Interstate Park, in VA & WVA, nice area, camping and cabins. It is also the western end of The Crooked Road, Virginia's Heritage Music Trail, following it south from Breaks is some great twisty riding.

If you do some Blue Ridge Parkway riding, there is Mabry Mill, near the Meadows of Dan, where there is also a MC only campground, Willville.

In NC there is Mount Airy, the town that the Mayberry RFD show was based on. Visit the Snappy Lunch for their famous Pork Chop Sandwich.

Just a few, plenty more if I had the time.

Jim.
Ogribike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
eSONG OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogribike
There is the little Museum in Philippi, WV that has mummies, interesting items and information located where US 119 and US 250 cross.

Look at the Twin Valley Riders site for their BBQ thread that covers SW Virginia and some NC BBQ places. You can also find some riding info from their site.

Breaks Interstate Park, in VA & WVA, nice area, camping and cabins. It is also the western end of The Crooked Road, Virginia's Heritage Music Trail, following it south from Breaks is some great twisty riding.

If you do some Blue Ridge Parkway riding, there is Mabry Mill, near the Meadows of Dan, where there is also a MC only campground, Willville.

In NC there is Mount Airy, the town that the Mayberry RFD show was based on. Visit the Snappy Lunch for their famous Pork Chop Sandwich.

Just a few, plenty more if I had the time.
thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
RocketMan
Out Rocketing

Oddometer: 677
In WV there is also BearTown State Park, an unusual rock formation near Hillsboro home Perl s Buck and Droop Mountain battlefield park on 219. A bit south is a nice road between 219 and 92 called Anthony Station Road, north near the WV/MD line right where MD ends at the lowest part of the panhandle is Fairfax Stone that marks the headwaters of the Potomac River and northwest corner of the land given to Lord Fairfax by the then King of England.

Mt. Storm on the Alaganney(SP? Plataea BlackWater Falls in the same area off 92 near Davis WV. Rt 32 is nice along there as well. Always a good 10-15 degree lower temps up there, great on a hot day.

RM
"Live life to the fullest, cause buddy, once you're dead life ain't worth living" Nat King Cole
"Never trust a user with your television overnight,
Don't try to paint your masterpiece by artificial light." - The Pretenders
Always DSTDJR-----Don't Sweat The Details---Just Ride!!!
RocketMan is offline   Reply With Quote