Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #1471
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestlessRider
@685

Yeah, I saw those CZR pipes on ebay, a bit loud for me too. Stock is the way to go I guess. I will be riding the Idaho forests this season and want to keep under permissible dB limits.
Maybe this guy would ship? http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/1743384218.html

Helluva good price!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #1472
RestlessRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Pre-96 DR Parts

@685

Thanks for the link. I am not a mechanic by any extent so please bear with me. So if I buy a full system exhaust off a 2004 then it will fit my 1994 without any modification to the pipes? Or do I still have to do some customization as shown in the thread to get it to fit?
RestlessRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #1473
Scarred Adventurer

I don't have a 94 and the pipe I used was cut off closer to the muffler.

When I put the late model muffler on my 91, I ended up cutting about 8 inches off the exhaust (header) pipe. That's the one that connects to the head. That left about a 4 inch or so gap between the muffler inlet and the end of the exhaust pipe--I bridged that with a section of flexible exhaust pipe from Autozone, clamped on with regular exhaust clamps from AZ. Alternatively, and probably best if you don't have access to a welder, you could take the muffler and bike to the local muffler shop and have the correct bridge pipe bent and have the front mount (described next) welded on.

On the 91 there is no provision for the front hanger on the frame, so I had to drill a hole and weld a nut on the frame so I could bold on the front hanger. Because I was using flex pipe, I think that using both the front and rear hangers is pretty much necessary.

I'll try to post up some more detailed pics later today.

Btw, I think the results were beyond my expectations. The can looks great on the bike, and the bike is quiet enough that the neighbors have commented on it.

685 screwed with this post 05-17-2010 at 07:58 AM
685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #1474
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,166
Fork seals. Who's done 'em?
And clutch. Can do you it without draining the oil? (not that I don't need an oil change anyway...)
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #1475
Scarred Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust
And clutch. Can do you it without draining the oil? (not that I don't need an oil change anyway...)
I've done fork seals (it that a surprise?) Nothing special about them, the upper bushing pops out when you slide the seals out, tho. Gotta be careful putting the bushing back in, easy to damage it.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #1476
RestlessRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Pre-96 DR Exhaust

@685: Thanks for your comments.

By the way do any of you know of a secure way to do a long distance transaction on Craiglist. I am just leery of sending cash to a chap across the country.
RestlessRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #1477
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,958
Quote:
CLICK HERE for a nice little fork seal tutorial...worked great for me.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #1478
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Oddometer: 398

Quote:
I also polished the legs a bit to get the deeper scratches out, this could be a bit tricky as there is no way back when you mess up. I used 1000 grid I believe but don't pin me to it... I would ask some other people on advice too on this.
puntoMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #1479
Shredware
shredder

Oddometer: 182
Regulator...

I just got back from 500 miles on the DR in 3 days down in The Commanche National Grasslands on the Colorado/Oklahoma border everything went great, minus the fact that I dropped my camera before I even left on the ride(about 5 minutes before kikcstands were up), so no pics, sorry. There was some major mud down there and it was real thick and it never did get "packed in" to the regulator mod I did . It did get pretty covered for sometime in mud and never showed any problems. But it was a great ride we did about 60% trail and dirt roads, 40% slab. Was real good felt like summer time (which hasnt come where I live at 9600' in the Rocky Mountains). Will get some pics soon. Stay Tuned.
00 Ford F-150
My army is 100% mobile.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...PDVeTsfLaxzCcq
Shredware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #1480
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
you might try a screen ie oil cooler over that that regulator it would help with mud rocks and the like

more pix some of us live thru the pix of others
Old 05-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #1481
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Kawazaki blinkers

About a year and a half ago I crashed my bike so bad that the whole left side of it was badly
damaged. For sure it took out the directional lights, headlight cover, side cover, luggage rack,
seat and a part of the tank.

I fixed most of it now besides the tank, that will be the one from Acerbis USA in one of these
days, and a new seat cover (any tips welcome!).

So, I was looking for good blinkers, not the small LED ones that are most of the time made
out of cheap plastic that can't take the cooking of the sun here in Mexico, also not the
original ones as they are kind of outdated with their orange lenses.

I started to browse on ebay for some Suzuki ones, but, as Kawazaki comes close to Suzuki
(As brother and sis I believe), I went with those. They have a smoother design plus a nice
clear lens, all made by Stanley! I got mine for 10USD + shipping for a pair of them and the
license plate holder/light . I bought actually 2 of them from different sellers. They used
to be mounted on some crotch rocket but look so darn ugly on them that no one leaves that
on their bike.

Now, this is how it looks like:

puntoMX screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 10:05 AM
Old 05-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #1482
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
looking good
more pix
Old 05-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #1483
puntoMX
Lost in Cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally
more pix
Here they come, didn't think that any one would like to see more.

All powdercoated, new parts are made out of 3.04mm (cal. 11 I think they call it too) steel and
lasercutted.

By the way, I'm not using my bike offroad so much any more as parts are hard to get these days.
So, this bike will be 80% road (not the smooth pavement ;)) and 20% off-road.
Safety comes first, it's dangerous enough already here Mexico!

EDIT: Next will be some new bolts, stainless and tapered like this:

Cheap and looks good...

puntoMX screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 10:06 AM
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #1484
Scarred Adventurer

Your brackets are beautiful!

The turnsignals look a lot like the ones on my 08 KLR. A word of caution for anyone thinking of doing this, Kawasaki had problems with the very early Gen 2 KLR turnsignals (and other rubber bits, too.) The rubber parts of the turnsignals came from the factory in a condition that looked like sun checking--they recalled and replace them. If one buys them used, it is possible that they will be defective.

BTW, Kaw did a recall. Mine wasn't included for that, but they ended up replacing all the wellnuts, the clutch cable, and the main wiring harness--all because the rubber compound on these components was defective.

You could probably market those brackets (not to me, my 91 is proudly a rat bike.)
Old 05-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #1485
Shredware
shredder

Oddometer: 182
PUNTO NICE BIKE!!! Cant wait to see it with that tank.
00 Ford F-150
My army is 100% mobile.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...PDVeTsfLaxzCcq
Shredware is offline   Reply With Quote