Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
ericw OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Tehachapi to Piutes to Sequoias.. HELP!

Hi All - A small group of us are planning a 3 day trip to the Sequoias via Piutes next month. We did this trip a few years ago but I can't seem to find that track in my files... I think we followed portions of the SMTS including 3-2, 3-3, 5-1, 6-2 & 6-3.

The problem is remembering how we got from Tehachapi to Piute Mtn. ridge (to hook up with SMTS #6) - I seem to recall we went up Caliente Creek Road and cut over to Piute on a combination of sandy canyon roads and fire roads. In looking at a map I think it might have been Sand Canyon Road then Piute Road to the ridge - are these roads open to the public? I remember one of the roads at the bottom had an unlocked gate we had to pass through.

Finally, when we got to Piute Mtn Ridge we had some great single track that wound through the granite outcrops and then dropped via fire roads to Lake Isabella. Is this single track part of SMTS Route 6?

Plan is that once we get past Lake Isabella we'll spend our time on the SMTS routes on the west side that wind up toward Pine Flat Reservoir - camping in the NF along the way.

Any help or beta (especially Tehachapi to Piute Mtn & single track on Piute Mtn.) or route suggestions would be great! Thanks, ericw

ericw screwed with this post 05-07-2010 at 11:25 AM
ericw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
I waited to see if someone with firsthand knowledge responded but nothing so:

I live in Bakersfield now and have done some poking around and read a lot in the forums. Short version, no direct way from Tehachapi to the Piutes. Old routes over privet property have been locked for a number of years now.

Most direct access now is west on 58 to Caliente-Bodfish Rd which is all pavement.

or

North on 14 or the aqueduct to Jawbone and then west.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
Hi All - A small group of us are planning a 3 day trip to the Sequoias via Piutes next month. We did this trip a few years ago but I can't seem to find that track in my files... I think we followed portions of the SMTS including 3-2, 3-3, 5-1, 6-2 & 6-3.

The problem is remembering how we got from Tehachapi to Piute Mtn. ridge (to hook up with SMTS #6) - I seem to recall we went up Caliente Creek Road and cut over to Piute on a combination of sandy canyon roads and fire roads. In looking at a map I think it might have been Sand Canyon Road then Piute Road to the ridge - are these roads open to the public? I remember one of the roads at the bottom had an unlocked gate we had to pass through.

Finally, when we got to Piute Mtn Ridge we had some great single track that wound through the granite outcrops and then dropped via fire roads to Lake Isabella. Is this single track part of SMTS Route 6?

Plan is that once we get past Lake Isabella we'll spend our time on the SMTS routes on the west side that wind up toward Pine Flat Reservoir - camping in the NF along the way.

Any help or beta (especially Tehachapi to Piute Mtn & single track on Piute Mtn.) or route suggestions would be great! Thanks, ericw
Very old thread but I finally started working on this route of the SMTS. I rode vrom Tehachapi to Pitues until hit ice, then yesterday I rode into Hume Lake and ouit again except for Ice sections. Will post new tracks in Spring after Ice melts.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Gfeldy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
From Piute, I'd go over Breckenridge Mountain towards Bakersfield or continue into Bodfish then come down the Kern Canyon. From there I'd head North on Rancheria to Alta Sierra/Greenhorn. Continue to Portuguese Pass at Forest Rte 23S16 from there you can decide either head east and go towards Johnsondale or head west towards Porterville (there is a fire road that is really nice that will take you to Pine Flat).
Gfeldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfeldy View Post
From Piute, I'd go over Breckenridge Mountain towards Bakersfield or continue into Bodfish then come down the Kern Canyon. From there I'd head North on Rancheria to Alta Sierra/Greenhorn. Continue to Portuguese Pass at Forest Rte 23S16 from there you can decide either head east and go towards Johnsondale or head west towards Porterville (there is a fire road that is really nice that will take you to Pine Flat).
See SMTS on GPSXchange.com

Developed this route years ago and now just need to update with new single track and higher resolution tracks. Also want to swing by the plane crash in the Piutes.