ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #31
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
You may want to read this post. Heidenau are made by the same factory as the MEFO and are nearly identical tread and quality. I run them on my BMW F800GS. Awesome adventure tire! Great wear.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568324

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #32
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,044
So I've been pretty happy with tha scorps on tha 950. Remember that it's a 500lb, 100+ H.P huge dirt bike...

I've jumped it, got tha cracks in tha tank to prove a hard life, rode singletrack, a bunch of whoops, did 2 up over Kingston high route, all on scorps...Front rim looks like it came from a roadside taco stand in Baja, bashplate is bashed...etc...

Is turning a KTM 9X0 into something wild kinda like turning a VW bug into a sand buggy tha thing to do?

Just wondering, cuz seems like putting knobbies on a bike with a front fender that catches mud and halts progress more than Obama's change?

When ridden hard, it stretches chains faster than Oprah's girdle....

Tha brakes do a decent job until they're pushed, then they fade faster than Jessie James popularity....

Tha weight and handling in difficult terrain is like training an elephant to do a trials course..

Once, under close adult supervision and closed course circumstances, I was able to exceed tha speed limit and hang with sportbikes in tha canyons, but not dragging pegs like that superfast To??ler, cuz he schools those that need to be educated on tha road, on scorps...

Don't get me wrong, I support tha mods to make it work for you..But I wonder why trying to make a 500lb bike work better with more knobbie tires...

Mod's are good, Lifted my truck and put on '33's, worked GREAT...Studded snow tires on tha Diesel, etc...

Show some Pic's of 'dunes, hillclimb's, etc...

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #33
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,655
Here is a good pic of the tread pattern:

Rick: I was on the mefo... graywolf on scorps. Guess who had waaaaaay more fun in the 1st) mud 2nd) deep gravel and 3rd) sand dunes?

If I wanted a street bike I'd have bought a street bike.
I bought a dual sport touring bike.

Really though.. the MEFO is not a knobby.. it is like a really deep treaded scorpian. For me the Scorps don't make sense on the 950 when mefos can run 95% of their onroad capability but 300+% of the offroad capability? On my ride last weekend 800+miles of it was on dirt.. all of it made better by mefos.

p.s. I don't have a mud-in-the-fender issue after my high fender "mod" - but Mark definitely did.. and that was on the dirt roads west of steamboat which turn to clay-crusted-slime when wet

This is what the road surface was like:

p.p.s. You aren't kidding about Oprah's girdle.. I need a new chain already

p.p.p.s. get off tha lazy arse of yers and put tha high fender and some mefos on tha thing

Geek screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 07:55 AM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #34
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
long wear on the explorer at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
I was surprised how good they are in the dirt.
I expected it to be "half way between" a 908 and a Scorpian. It's closer in capability to the 908.

I think I might have found my "dual sport" tire for the rear... fingers crossed I can get more than 4K

i just put a new set of Mefo Explorers (not the Super Explorer, as my Dakar has stupid 17" rears) and although i didn't get much off-road riding (only about 10-15%) in while i had them on, the rear got 7k+ mi on it, and still could have probably gone another 1k. so... from a tarmac point of view, 7k. i'd love to hear how they wear when used more off-road.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #35
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I'll post up when they are toast.

The first 1000 miles has been 80% offroad and 30% of that with the tire spinning
Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #36
radiowazee
Golewahz???

Oddometer: 421
Geek -- thanks for the report on the MEFO's ... I just bought a set based on the chatter in Orange Crush before seeing your thread. I was looking for more ability off road than the Scorp's were giving me; and I didn't want to go "as dirty" as the Dunlop setup many use. It sounds like the MEFO's might do the trick for me, can't wait to get some miles on 'em.

Cheers,
Howard

- 2006 KTM 950 LC8 Adventure-S GO!!!!!!! **Sold**
- 2003 BMW K1200RS **Sold**

RALLY PAN-AM RIFF RAFF '08, '09, '10 EXTREME Member
radiowazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #37
radiowazee
Golewahz???

First ride on the MEFO's; really nice!

I got the Super Explorer front and rear from Twisted Throttle ($169 and $109 plus shipping). Pavement feel was very good, really good traction on the corners -- just a tad bit less stable on the pavement than the TKC-80s I had previously -- not that it stopped me from some nice 60+ MPH canyon carving and 75+ MPH on the straights! I suspect this has something to do with the knobbies; there are more, smaller ones on the MEFO -- the TKC has fewer knobs, big honkin ones.

Dirt performance however, is really really nice -- much better traction than the TKC's imho. I didn't do anything crazy, just tooled around Tarryall, but the front gripped in just fine. They made the bike feel a lot more alive in the dirt; at least that was my perception! The tread pattern front and rear definitely works in the dirt better than the TKCs.

I rode 35 PSI in both the front and rear all day; pavement and dirt. I'll fine tune my pressures over the next few rides.

Only put about 250 miles on, nothing super aggressive yet as I'm still breaking them in (at least for the pavement). So far I'm pleased.

Cheers,
Howard

Here's a cell phone shot of the rear overlooking Kenosha pass today.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #38
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowazee

I got the Super Explorer front and rear

I was at Arrowhead Motorsports in Moab and he stocks the MEFO Super Explorer. The tire looked appealing. I understood that the Super Explorer only came in a rear size (18").

I'm not finding anything different on the MEFO website. Can you verify that the front is a Super Explorer?
quota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 AM   #39
radiowazee
Golewahz???

You are correct, Super Explorer rear, Explorer front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota
I was at Arrowhead Motorsports in Moab and he stocks the MEFO Super Explorer. The tire looked appealing. I understood that the Super Explorer only came in a rear size (18").

I'm not finding anything different on the MEFO website. Can you verify that the front is a Super Explorer?

Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #40
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiowazee

Dirt performance however, is really really nice -- much better traction than the TKC's imho. I didn't do anything crazy, just tooled around Tarryall, but the front gripped in just fine. They made the bike feel a lot more alive in the dirt; at least that was my perception! The tread pattern front and rear definitely works in the dirt better than the TKCs.
Was that you that we passed near Kenosha on Saturday? I waved... had Cheryl following behind me on her F650.

I've over 2000 miles on my Super Explorer rear now (I'm still using TKC front). It's probably half gone. Still diggin' it as a true dual sport tire.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #41
radiowazee
Golewahz???

Not me; I was on my human powered two-wheeler on Saturday ... I was on the KTM Sunday.

If I get an honest 5K out of the Mefo's I'll be happy ... I'm pretty aggressive on the throttle on the pavement (top speed I don't go too crazy, but I like getting from 0 to 60 *really* quick like!)

The TKC rear was/is just crap for wear/life -- I'd eat that thing up in a month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Was that you that we passed near Kenosha on Saturday? I waved... had Cheryl following behind me on her F650.

I've over 2000 miles on my Super Explorer rear now (I'm still using TKC front). It's probably half gone. Still diggin' it as a true dual sport tire.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #42
BrassAss
Lost, but not forgotten

Oddometer: 183
Thumb I've got 3000+ on my Mefo's

I just put over 3000 miles on my Super Explorer's and they still may have 3000 more. 85% of that was on dirt. I have found they do great in the mud, sand and even snow. This is the second set of Mefo's I've had on the rear. I used a Mefo on the front, but didn't seem to get the same wear. I've since switched back to the TKC on the front. We'll wait and see how it works. Like someone else said, it's seems to give you more action in the dirt.
www.backcoutrydiscoveryroutes.com
www.butlermotorcyclemaps.com
BrassAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #43
GS Spirit
Downsizing

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
I'll be in the Springs third week of June looking for a rear tire. Parts boy in Gunnison was very unreliable last year. If Apex is good and I can stop there, it's right on the way from VA and I won't have to tote a tire cross country. Good info.
Apex always has a good tire selection but having Gary save you one with your name on it is what I would do.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #44
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
Good tip GS S.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #45
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,153
I just got back from Apex. Headed there to have some Mefos installed. Very bad experience.

I've bought some stuff there before when on business in the Springs and they had what I believed to be a solid team and reputation.

Over last weekend, I sent an appointment request via their internet appointment system. Got a call Monday morning "You're all set for first thing Friday morning, 9:00am....come on down and we'll get you taken care of. Be sure to call Gary in parts first to make sure we have the Mefos in stock."

I called Gary - very nice guy, and their prices actually were lower than any I saw on the internet. "No problem, we'll set them aside for ya with your name on it"

So I hop on my 990 this morning, run 55 miles south to their shop, walk in the door and "How can we help ya" "I'm here for my my appointment to get a couple tires installed" "Ha ha ha, appointment? Ha ha ha". They just laughed their asses off (some obnoxious little buddy of their's, a customer I assume, also just starts laughing)...didnt get the Service guy's name but it was some little old gray bearded guy. "heck we're so busy right now, its gonna be a long time." "How long?" "Well, my KTM mechanic isnt even here. He might be back around noon, then he wouldnt get it on it for a couple hours"

So, it was bad enough they didnt give a crap about my appointment but to make things worse just laughed their asses off about it.

Never again....and I'm in the parts and accessories buying mode as well. I'll just order them online and get them installed someplace else.

Unfreaking believable....
teambft is online now   Reply With Quote