User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
rxcoop OP
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,681
riding from central PA to SLC....and back

planning on leaving next thurs to ride to MMP for WSBK races. passing thru cinci to see grandkids then out I-70 to estes park. from there, will ride back roads to brother-in-law's house in delta, co. he and i will ride to races and then i plan on coming back across I-90 and up thru the UP, across 'big mac' and down to SE mich to see more relatives. then back along lake erie and home on I-80.

any hints, warnings, etc to keep in mind while traveling ?? will be riding my 07tiger1050abs with trax boxes, zumo 550 and a BEL rx65. any other "must haves" altho i am planning to motel it any nites not staying with folks.
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Macadam Drifter
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Moteling is a good idea!

Keep a close eye on the weather-this is tornado season-you may have to alter your route north/south to stay out of the worst of it. Three years ago I went from Salt Lake to Columbus, OH on US 50 and got pushed into Minnesota by the storms and ended up crossing over the UP to make it.

Generally North Dakota will not get the Tornados (this early in the season) but monitor the Red River (Fargo area) for flooding another seasonal problem. This river flows north but sometimes the icepack up north has not melted damming the river and causing bad flooding down in North Dakota. I think they had a bad flood last year so maybe this year might not be a problem.

Also I 90 can be cold this time of year crossing the Rockys'. Yesterday I80 was closed at Laramie due to snow. It also snowed in Colorado last night but I did not watch the road reports on I70 from CO-UT but I80 is not that far north as an alternate. There are other alternatives west through Craig, Vernal, Duchesne, Heber, Park City, Salt Lake-etc. But you will need local "intell" in order to make a good decision. I would suggest getting some good road maps (western USA/eastern USA maps) that you can open up as your watching TWC so you can get a better idea of where the weather is taking you-then program the route into the GPS once you have made a routing decision. Before crossing the Rockys check out the Pass Reports I 70 and I 80 are the best choices this time of year. I 70 west of Denver is beautiful. I 80 is a high plateau that will be snow covered sagebrush has its own harsh beauty and vastness. Both routes can be very windy/gusty with pressure gradient changes. Much of the route between Colorado and Salt Lake are vast and exposed. When the weather is nice you can really make miles go by quickly. There are many alternative routes in Colorado to SLC but pass conditions will dictate whether passage is possible-these routes are much more scenic than the interstates and if the roads are bare and dry the scenery is fantastic-checkout US50 for instance.

Anyway-So watching the weather will be important on the trip. Good Luck you could also hit a sweet spot and breeze right through.

Also carry cold weather gear as a precaution-hopefully you won't need it. (Heated vest and gloves would be nice to have on this trip --).

MkD

Macadam Drifter screwed with this post 06-16-2010 at 10:55 PM
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
rxcoop OP
persnickety curmedgeon

already got the 'lectric liner/gloves in the top box for a quick breakout. got a compression sac at local wildware and have rain jacket/pants in a pack about size of tissue box.

for tools, was thinking about the H-D tool kit.....cell phone and pack of marlboros. so, i will take a few more things that that....and make sure my motow is up to date.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
rxcoop OP
persnickety curmedgeon

good news....forecast for thurs (departure day) is high of 81....PoP 10%. will start packing monday nite. my BP is already up a couple of points....
Old 05-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
scooternut
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Advice? Skip I -70 when you are in the midwest and run 36 or 34 (whichever runs northern Kansas as I forget and have run them both)

I am from PA and picked it up just west of Decatur Il and ran it pretty much straight to Estes Park area. I 70 sucks! get off it and enjoy the country, cause you wont see it from I70
scooternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
rxcoop OP
persnickety curmedgeon

yeah, thought about that but am under pressure to get out there....brother-in-law lives near grand junction and has promised some exciting riding before the race. so, hurry a** to get out there, enjoy the races and THEN wander home by the northerly route.

may need to redo the trip next year without the race and enjoy the trip out as well as the trip back.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
scooternut
n00b

Oddometer: 2
You will not lose time on this route. As I recall, there are virtually no stoplights the entire length of Kansas on this route. I believe that I was running upwards of 75-80 mph across the entire state.
scooternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
rxcoop OP
persnickety curmedgeon

works for me.....will program in tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
rxcoop OP
persnickety curmedgeon

got back last tuesday evening.....5600 miles, 18 states, 19 days. so i ran 36 from hannibal, mo to estes park, co.....road was great and more interesting than 70, without a doubt (thanks scooternut).
did not encounter a drop of rain the whole trip...tornadoes to the front, hail storms to the rear, etc.
cant wait to do something like this next summer....may head to canada.