User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
estebansos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
From Ecuador to Peru...

Hey guys, who has crossed the border recently from Ecuador to Peru or vice versa???? I heard the new bridge "Puente de la paz" has helped a lot over Aguas Verdes - Huaquillas. As we plan our trip, we are uncertain whether to cross thru Macará or Huaquillas. (across this new bridge) Any updated info would be appreciated. Thanks.

estebansos screwed with this post 06-15-2010 at 10:52 AM
estebansos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
estebansos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Really? No one?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I crossed sometime in Feb from Cuenca to Mancora. I can't remember exactly which route we took, but the H name sounds familiar. If it's the same one the border was really easy. I can't remember a large bridge, but the the only thing that threw me off was the Ecuadorian aduana was about 10 miles from the Peruvian aduana. The turn off for the frontura was a left about 5 miles before Huaquillas, so if you've hit town you're too far.
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
estebansos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for your input. If you went towards Mancora you probably crossed thru Huaquillas-Tumbes. The thing is, I read there is a new bridge that is not as crowded as Huaquillas-Tumbes border, recently opened and hassle free. But its good to know you didnt have a hard time there. Thanks again!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Keep us updated. I'm getting ready to leave Colombia soon and headed that way.

I'm all about hassle free border crossings. The nice thing about these SA countries it that they are big enough you dont have to cross a border after every 6 hours of riding time.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
estebansos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Medellin

Hi Crash...
If you are still in Medellin you should definitely try to stay until the culture congress takes place, lots of free concerts and events. http://www.iberoamericanocultura.com.co/
It will sure be a one of a kind way to see the city.
I'll go for sure from Bogotá. Let me know if you need anything from Bogota or any info that may be helpful to you. Send me a PM.

Now, from what I've read, the border from Cuenca, then Loja, then Macará is really easy but you miss Mancora. The border in Aguas Verdes is extremely crowded, but some folks from Medellín crossed in feb and they said there was this new bridge that just opened and made this border crossing something else. I've looked for info on this forum and others but havent found consistent info that would convince me thats the way to go. Hopefully some fellow riders will share once they cross.
Take care, safe riding..
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
cu260r6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by estebansos
Hi, Thanks for your input. If you went towards Mancora you probably crossed thru Huaquillas-Tumbes. The thing is, I read there is a new bridge that is not as crowded as Huaquillas-Tumbes border, recently opened and hassle free. But its good to know you didnt have a hard time there. Thanks again!
Whoops, that refreshed my memory. Yes, that was the border I crossed, and it was one of the easiest of the trip. I think I waited for one person on the Peruvian side and no one on the Ecuadorian side. It took about an hour including the drive between,, but it would have been even shorter if they didn't screw up the paperwork and have to start again in Peru.
cu260r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by estebansos
Hi Crash...
If you are still in Medellin you should definitely try to stay until the culture congress takes place, lots of free concerts and events. http://www.iberoamericanocultura.com.co/
It will sure be a one of a kind way to see the city.
I'll go for sure from Bogotá. Let me know if you need anything from Bogota or any info that may be helpful to you. Send me a PM.

Now, from what I've read, the border from Cuenca, then Loja, then Macará is really easy but you miss Mancora. The border in Aguas Verdes is extremely crowded, but some folks from Medellín crossed in feb and they said there was this new bridge that just opened and made this border crossing something else. I've looked for info on this forum and others but havent found consistent info that would convince me thats the way to go. Hopefully some fellow riders will share once they cross.
Take care, safe riding..
Gracias amigo. I am currently in Cali, leaving for the Ecuador border in a few days or so. Seems that I am using up my full 60 day tourist visa in Colombia. Great place, I could easily live here. I have not been doing much other than relaxing and riding around the countryside. I have met a few riders heading north. They told me that I better enjoy all of the goodness in Colombia because things are going to change once I cross the border to the south.

saludos, Vince

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
estebansos OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey, nothing to worry about!
Ecuador is beautiful. I rode almost 4000 KM around it, and it was awesome. Quito is a very nice city, we then head west to Pedernales, the weirdest beach town. Headed south towards Montañita, beautiful place. All thru the coast to Guayaquil, then Cuenca and back. Its really really nice. Glad to hear you had a good time here, and fellow Colombians behaved nicely. Best of luck, and please remember posting here once you cross the border from Ecuador to Perú and have made your choice. Ask for that new bridge and tell us all if its another latin american myth, or its real!
Best of luck!