User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
ElsinoreRider OP
Howdy Dammit!

Oddometer: 120
Hatfield McCoy Trails, WV

So me and the family are going back home to West Virginia, camping, fishing etc, but definately getting off the straight roads in Texas and into some twisties! My dad and I are taking our Stroms, him on his 1000 and me on my 650. I'm really wanting to know how hard the easy trails are, as we wanted to do them last time we went on the KLX250 and the KLR, but those bikes are gone. Anyway, I have some dirt experience, and to be honest dad craps all over me, so could we man up and handle it? Or are we out of luck?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
The Trail System is made up of different groups of trails in different areas. You can see them at www.trailsheaven.com.
Usually, the perimeter trails are easy for safety vehicle access.
You can download the maps for each area, then call with specific questions.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,501
I would not even THINK about taking anything more than a 450/530 EXC.

But that is just me. Personally I think a new 250 4 stroke would be the ideal bike up there
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
I just got back from a week at Rock House,,and Bear wallow.

Had a great time,,,but,,,,the DRZ was to heavy for in there.It did it,,,but i'm average size and it was a handful.KLR in there,,,,noway!!!!!
Unless you like put'n around in first,,,and she'd be hell on some of the hill climbs,even on the easy[green]trails.
KLX woulb be great,,,,,its rocky,,and dusty if dry.But they do groom the trails,so for the most part the green and blue stuff is nice,even if it gets wet.When it does get wet,,,it looks alot harder then it really is.
If i go there again,i'd stick to the week days,,,its quad heaven on the weekends.I rode Monday to Thrusday,and the last day i started to run into the 12-15 quads and 2x2's with guys wearing shorts and cases of beer on the racks.Other then that day,we had the place to ourselfs.
The more dirt wrothy tires the better.I did it on DOT knobbies.But rode my buddys WR450F,with Dunlop 756's,,,and there was comparison.
Best $50 you'll ever spend.
The people in town and around the trails,were nice as hell,even to a bunch of yankees.
I'll go again,,,but for me,the trails were set up for quads.If i pushed the corners hard,the front wanted to fold.You just couldn't get a dirtbike line in the corners.
The Black and double black and red dimond trails,,,are pretty much 2 wheeled only,,,but have a big breakfeast!!!!!#199 in Rock House took like 2 hrs to do 3 miles.More then i wanted,,,without a trials bike.
I've got a WR250F[not while i was there]but H&M is the reason i bought it,,,just to let you know what kind of bike would work best,,,,well for me.The lighter the better,a KDX,or 200EXC,etc would have been perfect!
The Green trails are easy to a point,,,,,,easy going in spots,,,and alittle above beginer in others.Basicly you have to know how to ride up,,,and down alittle better then,,,say my 9 year old nefews.And even the easy stuff is,right next to the edge in alot of spots,,,,so don't look down,,,and watch the turns for others.
We camped at Twin Hollow campsite.The cabins were sweet,$70 a night sleeps 4,bunk beds in the living room,full size in the bed room,full kitchen,and bath,nice front porch,fire ring and picnic table.The trail head for Rock House is right there,,,so you can get up and ride,your on the trail in 1 minute.
Was great time!!!!!
Next year i'm think Michigan,,,its more bike friendly,,and about the same distance for me.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Heres some pics of the cabins,at Twin Hollow camp sites. Pretty swanky for a bunch of mud puddle jump'rs.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
ElsinoreRider OP
Howdy Dammit!

Oddometer: 120
Thanks guys, and very nice pictures! Probably going to stick to fire roads and gravel. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
mike1952
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
I just got back from a week at Rock House,,and Bear wallow.

Had a great time,,,but,,,,the DRZ was to heavy for in there.It did it,,,but i'm average size and it was a handful.KLR in there,,,,noway!!!!!
Unless you like put'n around in first,,,and she'd be hell on some of the hill climbs,even on the easy[green]trails.
KLX woulb be great,,,,,its rocky,,and dusty if dry.But they do groom the trails,so for the most part the green and blue stuff is nice,even if it gets wet.When it does get wet,,,it looks alot harder then it really is.
If i go there again,i'd stick to the week days,,,its quad heaven on the weekends.I rode Monday to Thrusday,and the last day i started to run into the 12-15 quads and 2x2's with guys wearing shorts and cases of beer on the racks.Other then that day,we had the place to ourselfs.
The more dirt wrothy tires the better.I did it on DOT knobbies.But rode my buddys WR450F,with Dunlop 756's,,,and there was comparison.
Best $50 you'll ever spend.
The people in town and around the trails,were nice as hell,even to a bunch of yankees.
I'll go again,,,but for me,the trails were set up for quads.If i pushed the corners hard,the front wanted to fold.You just couldn't get a dirtbike line in the corners.
The Black and double black and red dimond trails,,,are pretty much 2 wheeled only,,,but have a big breakfeast!!!!!#199 in Rock House took like 2 hrs to do 3 miles.More then i wanted,,,without a trials bike.
I've got a WR250F[not while i was there]but H&M is the reason i bought it,,,just to let you know what kind of bike would work best,,,,well for me.The lighter the better,a KDX,or 200EXC,etc would have been perfect!
The Green trails are easy to a point,,,,,,easy going in spots,,,and alittle above beginer in others.Basicly you have to know how to ride up,,,and down alittle better then,,,say my 9 year old nefews.And even the easy stuff is,right next to the edge in alot of spots,,,,so don't look down,,,and watch the turns for others.
We camped at Twin Hollow campsite.The cabins were sweet,$70 a night sleeps 4,bunk beds in the living room,full size in the bed room,full kitchen,and bath,nice front porch,fire ring and picnic table.The trail head for Rock House is right there,,,so you can get up and ride,your on the trail in 1 minute.
Was great time!!!!!
Next year i'm think Michigan,,,its more bike friendly,,and about the same distance for me.

If you are coming to Michigan check out the DNR website they have the state trail maps. You bettter like sand in the lower peninsula. In the UP there is more solid ground. If you want more send me a message.
mike1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Hey thanks man!
Sand is cool,,,i like throddle!!!!!

I just hear,its alot more bike friendly,,,H&M,trails are groomed for the quad.You know you can't rail the corners.And the freaking quads are getting as bad as the Harleys with 800cc Vtwins and open pipes,,,,and still can't ride worth a shit,,in there shorts and flip flops.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,828
Rode Indian Ridge trail system last August from Ashland Resort, on the Hatfield-McCoy Trails; leaving next week for the Logan, WV, Holiday Inn Express and two nearby trailheads.

ATV's and their riders were no problem last year; consideration and helpfulness abounded; YMMV.

Rode KLR250; MUCH preferable to a KLR650 IMHO (I have both), if for nothing more than--the 250's easier to pick up when you drop it!

Ashland Resort (on Trail # 12 at Indian Ridge) now has direct access linking the Pinnacle Creek trail system; both can be ridden from a single cabin or camp site. Accommodations appear similar to those shown by AWM above at Twin Hollow; most adequate, approaching "luxury" for a rurstic camping experience, well-maintained and competently operated.

Level of difficulty? Even the green trails may have some challenging segments. Overall, Hatfield-McCoy has an extraordinary safety record.

If you enjoy riding mountain trails, hundreds of miles of 'em await you at Hatfield-McCoy.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote