User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
atlbmw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Costa Rica - Last week of June???

Ok....so, from what I'm reading Costa Rica will be drenched during the last of June. Any confirmations?
Does it rain all day? or just the afternoon? or just a few hours in the afternoon?
Should we postpone for a drier time of year?
We plan to be there for 4/5 days and would like to ride for 2 of those days at least.

According to this link, it looks we'll need to be loading up the bikes around 5am...whoa

We plan to ride 2 up on the west coast. We don't plan on riding off-road. I have minimal experience alone and only about 3 miles 2-up. :)

...other activities of interest -- scuba diving. tips?

Thanks for any advice and tips.
peace
theo
atlbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 624
Depends where you are in the country how much it will rain that day. Only by current weather reports will you know. I have been in Costa Rica during all months of rainy season and didn't find it a problem.

I love riding in Costa Rica but the traffic habits are very different than here in the states. I would not advise a very inexperianced riding to travel 2 up in Costa Rica. I love the country and almost live there. But traffic habits and the roads can be very challenging.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbmw
Ok....so, from what I'm reading Costa Rica will be drenched during the last of June. Any confirmations?
Does it rain all day? or just the afternoon? or just a few hours in the afternoon?
Should we postpone for a drier time of year?
We plan to be there for 4/5 days and would like to ride for 2 of those days at least.

According to this link, it looks we'll need to be loading up the bikes around 5am...whoa

We plan to ride 2 up on the west coast. We don't plan on riding off-road. I have minimal experience alone and only about 3 miles 2-up. :)

...other activities of interest -- scuba diving. tips?

Thanks for any advice and tips.
peace
theo
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
atlbmw OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY
Depends where you are in the country how much it will rain that day. TravelGuy
West coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY
I would not advise a very inexperianced riding to travel 2 up in Costa Rica.
TravelGuy
We've put a few thousand miles 2 up....It's been during day, night, heat, cold, and rain as well as on city, highway, and plenty of mountain roads.....just no off-roading
Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #4
Rangerrat
Adventurer Rat

Oddometer: 28
Traveling to Costa Rica

We all have needs and wants, and to some people a hard rain don't affect them much - if you are riding alone that is. I go to Costa Rica every other year to ride bikes to unknown destination, and have done it in the dry season. And I can tell you, 2-ups riding under the rain, makes a very uncomfortable experience. Most of the hard rain starts in the afternoon, but you will have many wet morning days that will make visiting places and or taking pictures a little hard. But if you have an itch to go in June, then go. But if I was you, I would rather go in the dry season which runs from December to April.
Rangerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #5
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
For riding you are better off in the dry season.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
atlbmw OP
Adventurer

4 wheels?

maybe we should just rent 4 wheelers, and keep the bike as an option if we happen to get a dry-ish spell?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbmw
maybe we should just rent 4 wheelers, and keep the bike as an option if we happen to get a dry-ish spell?
With 4-wheeling, again you are better off in the dry season.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 469
Thumbs down 4-wheeling?

Yes people in Costa Rica ride 4 wheelers on the streets. However the streets are in rual town and resort areas, not on major highways or the Pan American Highway with any heavy traffic. Guaranteed Instant death.

If you are able to control your travel date to C.R. I would do November to Easter (leave one week before Semna Santa, you do not want to be there during Easter Week).

During the rain season, road are in bad shape and Tico driver are not known for thier courtiesty or driving abilitiy, on dry or wet roads. Its hard to dress for rain and be hot at the same time. Plus your cloths, booths and gear will not dry out until you get back home from your trip.

BeachGuy, with just a few kilometers on the roads of Costa Rica.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
fishdawgz
living the dream

Oddometer: 157
ATV's vs bikes

Previous posts say it all. Riding two up in CR is dangerous even with excessive experience. Doing so in the rainy season (even if it's not raining the roads will be wet, puddled, full of holes) is not recommended. I live there in the winters and spend a fair amount of time on two wheels.

That said, if you end up on the pacific near Flamingo/Potrero, I can hook you up with a buddy who rents ATVs and dirt bikes - but I'd highly recommend the ATVs. You can easily spend two days, one guided and one on your own and have a blast.

Best of luck!
fishdawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
atlbmw OP
Adventurer

atvs and dirt bikes

Thanks. Ill keep that in mind for next time. I think we'll stick to the 4x4 this time.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
MtexpeditionCR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
hi, i live in Costa Rica, we are a country with so much to offer for motorcycle rides.

MtexpeditionCR screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 01:11 AM
MtexpeditionCR is offline   Reply With Quote