Moving on to RR number 2!

Unfortunately, this one started off with a bit of this;

and almost lead nowhere good.
Jammen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
Jammen OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
The "plan" (ha!) had been to crash out early on Friday, wake up with the sun bright and early Saturday morning to leave for an amazing dual sport loop around Central Cali with my ever-so-chipper girlfriend on the back of the recently acquired KTM 950 Super Enduro...

Until the aforementioned evil ass bottle of Bacardi showed it's oh so tempting face.

Awaking at the crack of noon the next... "morning", with the girlfriend gleefully exclaiming, "I can't believe you did that last night! " . "Wait, I did what?"

What better way to start a trip then blacking out the night before?

Ok, so now the ever-so-chipper GF is not such a good thing.

Soooo, bike packed, check, girl in gear, check, head throbbing and stomach nauseas, check and check. Great, time to stuff my head into a helmet. Which I'm sorry, the "Wearing a helmet with a hangover" thing is the worst part of motorcycling by far.

Finally, on the road; 85 south to be exact, wee, slab...

Heading towards someplace in Los Gatos to hopefully make this day start to look up some;

Ahhh, yesss, time for some eats.

Swedish Pancakes for me and

Crab cakes for her.

Ok, now I'm feeling better, ready to ride!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
Jammen OP
Adventurer

From here, the "plan" had called for getting on 17 heading south in order to hook up with Summit RD and do a little dirt heading down towards Buzzards Lagoon. Though for some reason there was a HUGE amount of traffic on 17 heading south, so I did the "logical" thing and looked at the map for an alternative route. Why does the logical thing never actually work out?

According to Google maps (I know, oops) we could loop around to Hicks Rd, then to UmUnHum Rd (no really) and that would end on Summit! Perfect!

Well, Hicks was fun, just watch out for the vultures. One biggun was hanging out by the side of the road and decided to take off as we were riding by. Damn thing cleared my head by inches. UmUnHum was a great little goat trail with a nice view;

That the girl is really liking;

But it actually ends at a locked gate a mile after we took these pictures.

Google maps 1, Us 0.

At this point going back to 17 and back around was just too far, so we decided to head up to Alamden and head down Uvas to 152.
To keep Mrs Chipper interested while doing the road work, I handed her the camera here to play around with.

As a bit of background, she's only been riding on the back of motorcycles for the past couple months. She's become an amazing passenger but still has her tentative points. Looking back on some of the pictures she ended up taking you'd never know this was her first time using a camera as a passenger and going off road!

Her first couple practice shots of the roads leading to 152;

A self portrait;

Uvas Rez

Morgan Hill here we come, almost to the dirt

One thing you'll notice, there's alot of helmet in these pics, some of the shots she got would make great Arai ads! She learns later that you really don't need to aim all the well, just point and shot.

Jammen screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 11:26 PM
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Jammen OP
Adventurer

From Morgan Hill we got on 101 for a 4 mile trip south to Rt 25. FYI, going through Hollister on 25 blows. Every stop light is timed just right... to turn red.
It does get nice once you get outta dodge.

Annddddd, drum roll please, it eventually takes you to Gloria Road!

Dirt! Finally.

More updates to come, including; "Ack! COWS!", the "Attack of the killer ground squirrels!", and "Wait, I thought you brought the food?!?"

With the unanswered question hanging in the air, do I still have a girlfriend?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Jammen OP
Adventurer

Returning from our little break, with a little water break before starting down Gloria Rd;

Gloria Rd is a bit easy to miss, you get one sign that says "Right turn 18 miles to Gonzales" and an "Intersection on the right" sign, but no real street sign.

Across from the entrance is this barn as a landmark;

After a short water break and map check, we were off!

What we didn't know, was lurking just around the trees on the right of the road two pictures up... was the attack of the cows!!

One second there were none, and the next, we were surrounded!
I did what any sensible man who's made a lifestyle out of eating rare steak would do. Ran like hell.

And this was a great road to do it on.

And a short video;

We were doing well, not hauling ass, but moving along at a comfortable pace. Until the squirrels.

We had seen a few dart across the road here and there, but on one section of road we must have disturbed some massive squirrel orgy. The road was covered with the little buggers running from one side of the road to the other. I think we made it through without taking any of em out. Though one definitely bounced off the side of my tire. Lucky bugger.
No pictures though, the camera lady was too busy laughing.

And it was all downhill from here!

This was my first time on a big dirt downhill with a passenger. A bit sketchy, some of the switch backs were definitely 1st gear chug thru's. Never totally figured out how to pitch this thing into a corner with the extra weight on the back.

Break time half way down!

Yes, the bike is taller then her. Hell, it's almost taller then me.

And back to 101 for the next 4 mile stint!

Jammen screwed with this post 06-29-2010 at 08:58 PM
Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
Jammen OP
Adventurer

Next we're back on pavement for a bit to get into the Los Padres Forest.
Arroyo Seco rd;

Then onto Carmel Valley Rd;

Then it was back on the dirt at Tassajara Rd!

And into Los Padres;

To our destination for the night;
Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Jammen OP
Adventurer

White Oaks was a pretty nice campground, though we first made the mistake of setting up near a fairly obvious water tank... and got swarmed by mosquitoes for our trouble. Then three car loads of loud talkers showed up, crammed into one campsite and spent half the evening yelling at each other.

It's ok, the 950 "accidentally" created a few obnoxious dust clouds that happen to waft in their direction.

Campground;

I might have had fun coming up here;

And I might have turned right back around to go play around on the trail.

View from the campground;

As the fog started to roll in;

So once we had settled in it quickly became apparent we really didn't pack in enough food. "You want half my granola bar?" "No, it's ok, I've still got part of a twinkie."
Oops. Next outing with be with a bit more refined luggage, so hopefully we can upgrade to poptarts and beer.
Ending up being a cold night and I need to stop bringing the 55 degree sleeping bag "just cuz it's smaller". Froze my ass off, again.

Up nice and early the next morning, after the sun had warmed things up of course.

Our cozy campsite;

We packed up and headed back down the mountain;

Much more fun this time after practicing on Gloria.
Though the washboard was kinda rough;

Then it was back out to Carmel Valley Rd and Arroyo Seco to start making tracks home. Nothing too eventful, just your typical gorgeous Cali morning.

For those wondering, somehow the girlfriend managed to enjoy all this and wants to go again.

Till next time!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
One day I'll get a bike like that and might even convince the wife to get on the back and do something similar to what you've just done

Thanks for writing your report and to your professional photographer for the great shots!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Jammen OP
Adventurer

It was alot of fun! You obviously slow down quite a bit, and it is a bit more nerve racking to be directly responsible for a passenger, but it's definitely worth it!

If nothing else the tent at the end of the day is way warmer with two.

Couple more two up trips in the works. First need to finish the luggage setup though. Was just too much weight on the rear rack for me and we still couldn't hold enough to comfortably camp over night.
That should be taken care of by next week.

A clear rack for sleeping bags and tents, 38 liters of lockable space, and 20 to 30 liters of waterproof soft space here we come.

The next big feat, convince her to head to Baja on the back.