ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Sasquatch OP
Banned
 
Sasquatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Boise, Idaho
Oddometer: 4,770
A Honda Elite 250 story.

Here is a short rambling about my life with a 1985 Honda Elite 250. I am hoping some of the ramblings can help other Elite addicts if they ever experience issues like I did.

I acquired my 1985 over a year ago in a pile of parts. My plan was to build it and sell it. Scooters are popular around here and it was just a money making project for me. What ensued was an addiction. Love and frustration. Elation and disappointment.

The first step was to see if she would fire up. I flushed the tank, cleaned the carb, installed a new plug and hit the starter. She fired right up, ran somewhat smooth, and the drive system seemed to work fine. With that test passed, it was time to make her right. I am anal about my mechanical work and could never sell something that was not as good as I can make it. No jerry rigging here.

So she came apart. I replaced all the rubber, new rollers, new belt, new brake and throttle cables, new battery, new front brake shoes, and a complete tune up.

The body was in horrible shape. No paint job, no matter how expensive would bring it back. So it got a bedliner paint job. Turned out pretty well. Replaced the seat cover with one found on ebay. Turned out really well. Fitted her with new tires.

Time to put some miles on her. She had just under 20k on the (faded) digital odo. She ran great. Too good. I started riding her more and more. Pretty soon I found an Aprillia top box in matching flat black for the rear rack. I found a replacement gauge cluster for the faded unit.

Each time I worked on her I fixed more issues. Replacing fasteners with correct ones, adjusting this, tightening that, eliminating rattles and buzzes.

One thing kept nagging me though. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get her above 56-58 mph. This is supposed to be a 70mph scooter. Yeah, I know I am fat, but it just felt like she wanted to go faster. One hot summer day while running flat out on my way home from work, it happened. Something popped and it was like she shifted into overdrive. Hit 64 before I had to slow for a stop sign.

There it was, I knew she had it in her. The problem was that she would only sometimes pop into high gear, and other times be held back.

For the rest of last summer and up to today I was on a quest to find out why. I tore into the drive system again and again. Polishing, lubing, measuring, comparing, and scratching my head over and over in confusion. I replaced the belt with the often mentioned Gates replacement and while it seemed to help, it did not cure it. I tried jetting, going leaner and richer. Richer jeting helped the power, but it still did not feel right. I pulled and plugged the bystarter circuit. No change.

Throughout all this time I replaced the front and rear shocks, installed new mirrors, floor mats, and other dress up items. It is a labor of love.

Finally last night I got fed up again. I pulled the drive system again. With the driven pulley on my work bench, I figured out how to get it apart.

There it was, staring me straight in the face. Inside the driven pulley is a set of spiral wound groves that allow the outside pulley to rotate while it expands out. The years of use, and probably abuse, deeply notched those grooves causing the pins to bind not allowing the pulley to fully expand.

I did a little dance.

Then I set out to fix it. I knew it would need replacement, but I wanted to dress those grooves to see if it took care of the problem. Out came the dremel, files and a buffing wheel.

Yes indeed. She ran like a scalded ape. I saw 68 twice today. I think she has 70 in her yet (I am on a life change diet and rapidly loosing weight). Then it happened. Taking off from a light the clutch was very reluctant to engage. It was something I feared. While working on the innards of the clutch I damaged an oil seal. Once the clutch heated up enough to liquefy the oil and it all shot out and soaked the clutches.

So I broke down and ordered the parts to make it right. I resisted the urge to order one of the Chinese knockoffs from ebay and just ordered the parts from Honda. I should have them by Friday and have her back on the road.

There is no such thing as a free scooter.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014