Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #286
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Nobody is confusing n00bs about what is right to do. Everyone agrees that standing on the pegs is critical in dirt.
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #287
MustTourEurope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7
What is important is that your body does not have to lean with the bike in order to turn.
Hmmm...I cannot remember doing a turn without leaning my body in harmony with the bike(relative to the bike's lean angle). I'm no racer. But I find leaning with the bike in making turns(not walk pace speed, mind you) makes life easier If I'm doing it wrong ...I wonder why I'm still around!
MustTourEurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #288
RiDR
The Himalayan what?

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustTourEurope
Hmmm...I cannot remember doing a turn without leaning my body in harmony with the bike(relative to the bike's lean angle). I'm no racer. But I find leaning with the bike in making turns(not walk pace speed, mind you) makes life easier If I'm doing it wrong ...I wonder why I'm still around!
In the dirt you don't set up into the apex of a turn like you would on the slab, you knock it down a couple of gears, modulate the front and rear brakes, stick out your leg, and counter steer into the direction of the turn with the bike leaning and you being upright.
On the road this is called backing it in and allows you to scrub off speed going into tight or hairpin turns a lot quicker... and one of the reasons i'm glad I started off in the dirt and not on the road.
RiDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #289
DeadRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
That one always bothred me. As a person growing up in big cities, I never saw a dirt bike and certainly never heard of anywhere to ride one. Maybe things are different now, but if you live in a city- not everyone can afford a dirt bike AND a pick-up.
Thats why everyone should ride a dual sport!
DeadRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #290
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Well, riding in mud I find the ability to apply pressure to one peg to rotate the bike way faster than I could sitting helps me avoid crashes that would be inevitable sitting down. Moment of inertial rules. But I suck on dirt too...

So what do I know?
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #291
Moto_Muffin
Motorcycle Muffin

Oddometer: 287
Potholes hide in puddles.

Trust your nose -- smell raw diesel? There may be a slippery spill. Smell brakes burning? Cover your brakes and prepare to stop quickly. Smell pot smoke? Be wary of the idiot stoners in the Corolla in front of you. Smell burning rubber? The truck off to your side may be about to lose a re-tread.

Don't armor-all your seat, don't tire-shine your tires.

Keep your visor and mirrors as clean as you can.

Smooth first, then fast. Smooth leads to fast; fast without smooth is doom.

Relax your damn shoulders.

Cold makes you stupid and slow. Hot makes you stupid and sick.

Own a sidestand coaster. Use it.

Good boots are very important. Broken ankles are difficult to live with.

However tempting, never kick anything on the road while you're moving.

Be honest with yourself; don't ride over your head. Read The Pace.
Moto_Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #292
fateddy
tight like that

Oddometer: 46
Seconding some of my favorites:

I learned to ride a small, old street bike on loose gravel roads, and did that for a year before street riding. Never been down on the street.

Cagers don't see you, aren't looking for you, and those that do probably hate motorcycles.

For content:

Several people have pointed out the amplified effects of alcohol, mood, alertness, etc on bikes. What you eat and the amount of food in you has a HUGE effect. Too little food = low blood sugar = physical weakness, distraction, gut cramps. Too much food = sedation. Spicy food = possible indigestion, heartburn.

Learn to navigate by the sun, landmarks (hills, mountains, powerlines, rivers), everything BUT a map, compass, and GPS. You will make less stops on the side of less-than-ideal roads and be less inclined to mess around with a map or GPS while riding. Spend a lot of time on Google Earth studying your usual local riding areas and planned riding areas.

Tell someone where you're going if it's somewhere new, or make sure that the people closest to you know the areas that you often ride. This is a lot easier if you have a SO.

LEARN HOW YOUR SUSPENSION WORKS! It will make the difference between a smooth line and a lowside.

fateddy screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 05:37 PM
fateddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 AM   #293
LavaFrog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
just a few more to add or emphasize

read the lot and adding a few goodies maybe not duplicated but emphasized if mentioned again.

- If a rider is knocking on his helmet coming at you, slow down. COPS!Ahead
- Be aware the middle of the lane at a stop is not your friend for foot or wheels.
- Anti-freeze/Radiator fluid is a bitch when mixed with rubber shoe.
- New tires are very slippery, know your tire pressure.
- Be weary of wet curb lips into gas stations, up curb entries, or even a road with ripple rips with regard to the front tire traveling diagonal along lip could make wheel slide,then faceplant.
- On a 100 degree day road repair work is slippery as snot, avoid the black goopy roadwork snakes or dead snakes for that matter.
- Wet pot holes and metal plates anytime are not your friend
- Know what gear you are in before you stop - stalling in second can be surprising
- Know what to do if your bike stalls, from a stop even at speed.
- A quick stop with tall suspension can rebound and lift you if you dont brake with some rear(helps keep front diving). During panic stop avoid placing left foot(or both) on ground to far foward. i.e. 21" front wheelers. :) shorties more so.ahem
- Try on the helmet before you buy, know your head
- You look cooler and ride better if you dont have bugs in your teeth
- Its true a louder bike is better seen :)
- When left of cager- If you cant see the drivers face in the mirror when you are next to them, assume they cant see you(in fact assume they cant see you at all times).
- (BayAreaRider)When merging off freeway dont always get over too soon or get smushed. Wait for the cager to make their late Mario changes/read surrounding cagers the last mile before your merge. Learn when to merge both quickly on and off freeways. Speed entry, placement, how late to get over it can be alot different than in a car when it comes to your safety
- Hide some stash cash under your seat - you never know.
- Rock to skin or skin to pave hurts like hell! - ATGATT just like wiping your a$$.
- Don't freak out on flying bags or plastic, be mellow and if it attachs pull over when safe, unless you can reach it safely of course :)
- Know your gas tank capability and if there is a reserve
- Faceshield color at night does matter - clear lens safety glasses are cheap backups if you have reflective or dark visor.
- Do not mess with GPS or bluetooth headset when moving until you know how to ride. OK don't do this nOObs :)
- learn your get ready system down> bike check,Shoes, pants,nuts,key,kiss wife/gf,helmet,glasses,gloves,garage door,smile,have fun.

quote luni
Translation: Italian women can be persuaded into going into far-off locations, with the prospect of being stranded and secluded far from home. And will share a bedroom, cold, wet, and vulnerable

>>? Where are all these Italian women?

great posts by all, but one in particular brought back a foggy memory.
post#213 so true about contacts, funny mine stayed in my clear safety glasses this occurred when looking to merge left with shield open at night at 85mph. pucker moment and spit stabbed that contact back in when i stopped.

last but not least - the smile is permanent --- Deal with IT!

LavaFrog screwed with this post 07-08-2010 at 03:25 AM
LavaFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #294
Cellar Yeti
Adventure Yeti

Oddometer: 166
I read this entire thread. Thanks guys.
Cellar Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #295
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Muffin
don't tire-shine your tires.
Correction: Don't tire shine the tread of your tires. I wash my bikes a couple of times a year (whether they need it or not) and usually tire foam the sidewalls. I spray it on a sponge and am very careful not to get any on the tread.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #296
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
Correction: Don't tire shine the tread of your tires. I wash my bikes a couple of times a year (whether they need it or not) and usually tire foam the sidewalls. I spray it on a sponge and am very careful not to get any on the tread.
So you're living in a straight-road-only area, do you?

Poor little man...no curve...it should be so boooooooring there.

;)

On a serious note...DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.

One day you'll touch the the side tread, it's obvious and...dangerous.

Never forget that this thread is supposed to be a NOOB thread. One can choose to do it if it's done the right way and at his own but understood risk...but it's not an advice to give to a fresh biker.

SgtDuster screwed with this post 07-09-2010 at 04:06 PM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #297
jplum1556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I'm still a motorcycling noob so i hope you guys don't chew me out for posting here. I've found that it's useful when shifting, especially downshifting to say what gear your going into out loud. I started doing that after a few mishaps where i thought i was in a lower gear then i was.
jplum1556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:29 PM   #298
jplum1556
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
Get me a bacon sammich n00b. JUST KIDDING!

WELCOME TO THE ASYLUM!!!

Chew you out? No way. I do wonder a bit about the gear thing. I am just not sure why you would care what number of gear you were running in.

I run in the gear that gives me the optimal RPM for the speed of travel. Knowing what the name of that gear is just seems a little irrelevant. (but that's just me)
Say i'm coming up to a red light and start downshifting then it turns green while i'm still approaching it and sometimes i'm not sure what gear i'm in so when i release the clutch to get going again it would jerk so now i count them. Meh, maybe it's weird but it works for me.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #299
jplum1556
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ
I engine brake so I guess that is why I do not find it to be an issue.
Yea. I don't mind wearing my brake pads down.

Thanks for the welcome, I hope this asylum is nicer then the last one I was in.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #300
oldirtyrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
i wish someone had told me.....

When riding in fields or anywhere you cant see the ground because of any kind of cover do NOT go blasting into it assuming its flat. took me two pits and two supermans over 8 ft in the air over the handle bars before i understood that... not too mention bent rims broken clutch cable bent handle bars. ride the field or area atleast once at low speed
oldirtyrider is offline   Reply With Quote